TAXI STRIKE BARCELONA- HELP NEEDED

scottie99

We are on NCL Spirit out of Barcelona tomorrow arriving at Barcelona Airport at 10.10am

We have just heard there is a strike amongst Spanish taxi drivers.

I called NCL and they seemed to know nothing about it even though I told them it is all over the airport website , only stating that it is too late to book their transfers.

The guy at NCL kept saying " I am sure it will be fine, there will be plenty of taxis"

After a bit of persistence i managed to speak to a supervisor who said " get a public bus". As far as I know there is no bus to the port, and even if there was, there would be 100's of people in the same position trying to access it.

Eventually he said he will have to call HO in Miami and will call back about 1pm Uk time.

I have tried transfer companies but they are all now fully booked 

Take the aerobus from BCN to plaza catalunya for about 6€ per person. From there you can take the subway or walk 20 minutes down Las Ramblas to the Columbus monument for the port shuttle. 

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Aerobus,+Plaça+de+Catalunya,+Barcelona,+Spain/Mirador+de+Colón,+Plaça+Portal+de+la+pau,+Barcelona,+Spain/@41.3816378,2.1742281,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f16e3f09f3:0x63268d5954864ae1!1m2!1m1!1s0x12a4a256d7bd004b:0x2adc0acddfeb6cb7!3e3

I think Barcelona has Uber but don’t know for sure.

the strike has been a topic on the Barcelona forum of tripadvisor for the past week.

Locals reported that the aerobus isn't able to get to Pl Catalunya due to taxis blocking the roads.  Read thru this thread for info :

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k12254998-Taxu_Strike-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Thanks for your replies.

I read on the Tripadvisor forum that the strikers have stopped buses accessing Pl Catalunya.

NCL have said they can't help (unbelievably!) keep telling me, 'Im sure you will be fine, have a great cruise!)

Only glimmer of hope is i read there is a possibility of the strike ending at 8pm this evening.

Cabify is the bigger ride hailing service in Barcelona, Uber is also available in Barcelona but is the principal ire of cabbies as they are unregulated where the former is. Downlaoad their apps on you cell phones.

Metro will also get you back into the city - L9 stops a T1 and T2 - you'll need to figure out where to transfer using their maps but it looks like you can catch L1 at Torassa heading toward Pl Catalunya

It looks like there is a regular bus #46 which leaves the aeorport and ends at Plaza de Espana. This is a big transfer point for Metro as well and again you should be able to catch L1 or L3 there to get you to Pl Catalunya and Born etc.

Bus and metro schedules and fares all available at www.tmb.cat/en

I suspect there will be a lot of confusion and queues for Aerobus, ride hailing and public transport. All you can do is hope for the best and listen to the local news reports constantly. Good Luck and pack light

I tried to research the route of Metro or Bus and come up with no recommended route due to no stations being "near" the beginning (El Prat) or ending (Placa de Catalunya) points.  I have a cruise departing next Wednesday and anxiety thinking about being stuck no knowing how to get from point A to point B and the reverse.  I contacted the hotel asking for their guidance on transportation and am waiting to hear.

The taxi strike is over as of today Jan. 24.  Part of the negotiation is to impose restrictions on Uber and Cabify which, the taxis demand, must be booked 12 to 24 hours in advance.  These restrictions are not in effect yet and it is not sure what form they will actually take.

There are now partial stoppages in the Metro from Jan 25 through 28.