Super Bowl

smlri

Our embarkation day on Niew Amsterdam is Super Bowl Sunday and our beloved Pats are playing. Do you know if this ship has a special place to watch an event like this?  We were on another cruise line the last time they were in it and there was a big party at the pool for the game.  Thanks

We have been on board at least 3 Holland America ships for the Super Bowl.  They have the theater open with designated seating on the left for Team A and on the right for Team B.  It was marked at the entrance with the team names.  As you enter, there are tables set up with tailgate food (sliders, chicken wings, hot dogs, chips, etc.)  Plenty of bar staff to take drink orders.  The game is shown on the big screen and is a lot of fun watching the fans cheer or grimace.

I do remember that they sold seats up front for a fee with special perks and drinks.  This area was roped off.  Since we did not pay for that privilege, I don't know all that was included.  The cruise director did drawings for door prizes at the end of each quarter.  (We did not win anything.)  This was my experience, however, I have no idea of the plans for this year's Super Bowl, but I feel they will do something special.  Have fun.

We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam as well. I called Holland America lines and spoke with a lovey woman and she confirmed they will be showing the game in a few different venues. They will also have food. Main stage is probably where we will go to watch it. Super Bowl party here we come. GO PATS!!! 🏈

On 1/24/2019 at 3:34 PM, MB320 said:

I do remember that they sold seats up front for a fee with special perks and drinks.  This area was roped off.  Since we did not pay for that privilege, I don't know all that was included.  

When we were on the Zaandam off SA in 15 for the Superbowl, they had 3 sets of seats up front in the roped off area. Set #1 was a pair of barcalounger type seats. Since I've never seen them anywhere else on the ship, I have no idea where they came from. That set was dead center before the big screen and came with all you could eat/drink (alcohol included) for the duration of the game (I think it included part of the pre-game too). The other two sets were some nice couches set to either side of the center section. I can't remember what the drink perks were, but it had some. All 3 sets had dedicated waiter service to fetch your drinks and food. I believe there was an additional menu for these folks that included more stuff than just the snacks set out for general consumption. 

The game was also piped into several of the bars and available on your in-room TV. 

Edited by drowelf

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, smlri said:

Our embarkation day on Niew Amsterdam is Super Bowl Sunday and our beloved Pats are playing. Do you know if this ship has a special place to watch an event like this?  We were on another cruise line the last time they were in it and there was a big party at the pool for the game.  Thanks

You guys have won enough!  lol

On 1/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, drowelf said:

When we were on the Zaandam off SA in 15 for the Superbowl, they had 3 sets of seats up front in the roped off area. Set #1 was a pair of barcalounger type seats. Since I've never seen them anywhere else on the ship, I have no idea where they came from. That set was dead center before the big screen and came with all you could eat/drink (alcohol included) for the duration of the game (I think it included part of the pre-game too). The other two sets were some nice couches set to either side of the center section. I can't remember what the drink perks were, but it had some. All 3 sets had dedicated waiter service to fetch your drinks and food. I believe there was an additional menu for these folks that included more stuff than just the snacks set out for general consumption. 

The game was also piped into several of the bars and available on your in-room TV. 

Several years ago when our Broncos played we were on Westerdam and purchased this VIP package. Cost right at $50 person and included front row comfy seating, food, alcohol drinks throughout game, and dedicated waiter.  HAL really put on a nice spread with lots of game day finger foods, carved watermelons and stuff, special super bowl cakes.  Was really nice and we had a great time, especially since our team won.  Highly recommend you do this. Funny thing about game telecast is no commercials.  So during commercial breaks the CD and assistants have little games and give out assortment of prizes.  I mean lots of stuff.  Was fun but did miss seeing the commercials a bit, I hate to admit.

Jane