NCL Bliss and Wifi

ZsaZsa2019

We will be doing Alaska June 9-16th with another couple and a single.  We can choose the 250 min free wifi as one of our options, but won't we have to be really careful about having our phone on (uses minutes) and trying to check text messages between our friends?  We have AT&T and wondering if anyone uses the Cell at Sea with luck on the ship?  I've heard the wifi might not be that great after all.   Mostly, I think it would be handy to be able to text back and forth with our friends when on the ship to arrange getting together and whatnot.  I've also looked at the "unlimited" that the ship has to offer since I DO enjoy checking social media.  Hubby then might do the Cell at Sea since he has his own business and might need it.  Basically what has worked out best for others?

A problem with ship WiFi is that you need to sign in and then sign out every time you use it and only one device can be using your account at a time.  Otherwise the clock is ticking.   With Verizon, cellular at sea talk is $2.50 a minute.   The good news about an Alaska cruise is that your phone domestic plan will be good at all your port stops except Canada.  And you will frequently be in range of a domestic cell tower even while cruising.  While on the ship's cell tower at sea, Verizon and probably ATT will let you text for .50c each sent and .05c each received.  However, you need to keep data turned off or you can incur large charges.  

We just sailed Bliss (1/12) out of Miami. For texting back and forth shipboard everyone in our group downloaded the Norwegian App and and opted to pay the $10/week for the messaging service included within the app. Basically it assigns your app a phone number and you can share that with your friends and it functions as any regular texting would. But it only works within the app, on the ship's free wifi.

We did also opt for the Unlimited wifi plan aboard the ship as well. I too enjoy check in on social media and keeping tabs with the goings on at home. That worked well for us, able to use FB/IG/Snap chat and regular texting and internet while onboard. Speed wasn't blazing but in the middle of two sea days its was certainly sufficient. 

Sea- we’re on the same cruise! C’mon over and join the roll call!

i think we plan to update to one device unlimited plan so we can keep in touch with our younger kiddos at home. I usually want to stay disconnected, but DH can’t really disconnect from work these days!

You are going to want to have everyone download the NCL app and pay the $10 to use it for the week...good for staying in touch on the ship.

I'm planning on purchasing the unlimited data plan on our trip in a few weeks and then using a travel router to share the signal...it can allow multiple people to share one internet plan as long as you are all in the same location.  I bought a Hootoo Titan off Amazon for about $42.  Search the forum for travel router...current thread going right now about it.  Enjoy your trip!

13 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

We will be doing Alaska June 9-16th with another couple and a single.  We can choose the 250 min free wifi as one of our options, but won't we have to be really careful about having our phone on (uses minutes) and trying to check text messages between our friends?  We have AT&T and wondering if anyone uses the Cell at Sea with luck on the ship?  I've heard the wifi might not be that great after all.   Mostly, I think it would be handy to be able to text back and forth with our friends when on the ship to arrange getting together and whatnot.  I've also looked at the "unlimited" that the ship has to offer since I DO enjoy checking social media.  Hubby then might do the Cell at Sea since he has his own business and might need it.  Basically what has worked out best for others?

Cellular at sea is expensive. AT&T charges $50 for unlimited text for 30 days. It includes 50 minutes of talk (overage at $2/minute). 

For $100, you get 200 MB of data ( which is really small). 

You are better off buying an unlimited internet plan on the ship. It uses the same satellite link as the cellular at sea. 

I disagree with the comment that Alaska cruises have access to US towers while underway. It is very infrequent and you always run the risk of hitting a Canadian tower and picking up international charges. 

I do have the NCL app downloaded (not finding it very good).  It always says I have 209 days to go and that I can only book 2 excursions, so I'm not very trusting of it yet.  LOL  I can't find where there is that chat option, but that sounds like it would be a great way to go.  Hubby owns his own business, so has to be in contact with customers and his employees.  He will likely get the ATT plan that he needs.  I'm just being petty as I want it to communicate with the others, but also like my Facebook.  🙂

I appreciate all the feedback, it's been very helpful.  I will have more questions, I'm sure.  We've cruised a handful of times over the years, but NCL is a bit different than the others.  So many things to reserve and pay extra for.  Not used to all that.