Msc Internet (SEASIDE)

catspaws65

2 hours ago, catspaws65 said:

anyone know if the 6 GB is per device or shared? if Shared is it enough for 7 day cruise,, mainly need it to post to FB, check mail (no video sreaming) maybe play a game or two at night....

I've read numerous posts where 6GB is more than enough data for a 7 day cruise...and these were from posters who were updating regularly during their cruise...with pictures.  Based on your intended use...you should have no issues with exceeding the data limit.  We cruised on the Seaside last March...but did not buy the internet package...so I cannot recall if the 6GB can be shared over multiple devices (once they sign on after other signs off).  WE chose to use free WIFI on islands to maintain contact with family....Worked fine.

MSC sells Internet packages by the number of devices needing access and with a total shared data cap; as the 6 GB in your question. For example, we needed three devices with access and the closest package was 4 devices with shared 6 GB. Unlike many other lines that allow multiple devices to share an account, MSC counts each device. Kind of hard to explain, but easy to understand once you understand that the data is shared, but the account is also based on the number of devices that need access. 

For us 6GB was fine, we used just over half. But, we did not watch movies, upload pictures, or other any other data-heavy usage. My wife's Facebook was the data hog during our trip, but she kept it under control. You should be fine with 6GB, but remember that it is easy to add the amount of shared data before reaching your maximum.

Was just on Seaside Jan 19 sailing.... we paid for 1 x 6gb package in advance, which actually was good for 1 person for a week... it was possible to use 4 devices with the 6gb package.. my partner used it pretty much all week for email, social media etc and was at about 5gb by the time we got back. I purchased the unlimited plan, which is 1 device at a time, but I had to work heavily all week, internet, programs that use a lot of gb etc.. and by the time I got back had used 12gb! BUT I am a very heavy user.... must say we found the internet to be great! and I was able to work all week....  

We were just on Seaside Feb 2-9 and did the 4-device, 6GB package.  It was just about right for us usage-wise; both of us worked on laptops a little here and there, and used cell phones for email all week.  Very disappointed that wifi calling would not work though; no voice, only data.  On RCCL, for past couple of cruises, the wifi package facilitated wifi calling so we could actually make phone calls on same package.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tonyluck said:

Cheers Hobby3333. Was a it the standard or super fast do you know?

Not sure about the speed but I paid about $128 or so and had plenty left at the end of the cruise.   We did FaceTime every night.  We bought it before we got on the Seaside.

Edited by Hobby3333
Spelling

I had trouble with voice calls using WhatsApp on Seaside with the standard package.  Later I had no trouble using Facetime with the premium package, but forgot to try WhatsApp.  More recently on Divina WhatsApp voice worked fine with standard package.  I suspect it actually may have more to do with the amount of users at any given time.

Even with making several calls and moderate use the 3.5GB plan was plenty for two older adults for 11 days.  We had four people, two younger adult heavy users, on Seaside with 6GB for 7 days and used 95% of it.  Adding extra GB was quite affordable if it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

Not sure about the speed but I paid about $128 or so and had plenty left at the end of the cruise.   We did FaceTime every night.  We bought it before we got on the Seaside.

Thanks very much for your assistance, much appreciated!

26 minutes ago, Até said:

I had trouble with voice calls using WhatsApp on Seaside with the standard package.  Later I had no trouble using Facetime with the premium package, but forgot to try WhatsApp.  More recently on Divina WhatsApp voice worked fine with standard package.  I suspect it actually may have more to do with the amount of users at any given time.

Even with making several calls and moderate use the 3.5GB plan was plenty for two older adults for 11 days.  We had four people, two younger adult heavy users, on Seaside with 6GB for 7 days and used 95% of it.  Adding extra GB was quite affordable if it comes to that.

Thanks for that. Think we will take a chance on the Standard and see how we go!

The standard internet is up to 2 devices sharing a total of 3GB.  The premium internet is up to 4 devices sharing 6GB.  These are the US plans so it may be different if you are in a different country.  All 2 or 4 devices can be connected at the same time but they all share the data allotment.  We did use FaceTime and. Fongo (a voice over ip) application with these packages and it worked without issue.  We were on board the Seaview.