Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

For one of the days I suggest you take a combo tour to Frederiksborg Palace in Hillerød and Kronborg Castle (hamlet) in Helsingør together with the danish maritime museum (if you have the time).

S-train line A will take you to Hillerød in 39 minutes and departs every 10th minute.

Local train 930R to Helsingør in 26 minutes and departs 26 and 56 minutes past the hour.

When its time to get back to your hotel you can get the more comfy Øresundståg train that departs 18, 38 and 58 minutes past the hour and it takes 46 minutes.

In Copenhagen its the usual suspects like Tivoli, Canal tour, the round tower, the little mermaid, canal tour ( you can see the mermaid from the canal tour), Rosenborg Palace (with the crown jewels) national museum, and Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and a Carlsberg brewery tour while we are at it.

And probably some other places I have forgotten.

For food I will suggest Tivoli Food Hall, Torvehallerne food market and Kødbyen (meat packing district) and the new area called Reffen.

• Thanks 1

Hi Danish Viking!

I remember I went on a Baltic cruise 6 years ago, and you were also the person answering questions here! Kudos to your dedication to this group and offering your time!

I'm back on another cruise soon that leaves from Copenhagen. This time there are 5 adults and 1 child (age of 4). We will be landing at around 10:30 am on a Friday, and the return trip back to the airport would also be a Friday, but a 10:30am flight (so likely need the taxi at 7am). I have the following questions:

1) Is there a car seat requirement for a child in Denmark?

2) For the 6 of us, with our luggage, how much would it cost to book a large taxi to get from the airport to Ocean Quay terminal?

3) Is it possible to pre-book a large taxi, especially if we need a car seat for the child?

Thanks!

Sheila

My friend and I arrive on May 19, Sunday, 11am.We need a taxi from airport to Copenhagen Plaza. We each have 1 medium suitcase and I use a walker. A regular size taxi has always sufficed .

~Is there a taxi stand outside airport  where easy to get taxi? 

~Do taxi drivers take Visa credit card for payment? 

We will have credit cards, US$  and some Euros.

~Can those 2 cash currencies be used as well for taxis? 

Thank you,

48 minutes ago, AnnieE said:

My friend and I arrive on May 19, Sunday, 11am.We need a taxi from airport to Copenhagen Plaza. We each have 1 medium suitcase and I use a walker. A regular size taxi has always sufficed .

~Is there a taxi stand outside airport  where easy to get taxi? 

~Do taxi drivers take Visa credit card for payment? 

We will have credit cards, US$  and some Euros.

~Can those 2 cash currencies be used as well for taxis? 

Thank you,

Taxis take credit cards and are easy to get to at the airport.

Just about everywhere in Copenhagen prefers credit cards.

19th May is the Copenhagen marathon which is run through the city so it might be 'interesting' getting to your hotel.

The marathon does add to the already enjoyable atmosphere.

11 hours ago, Piyley said:

Hi Danish Viking!

I remember I went on a Baltic cruise 6 years ago, and you were also the person answering questions here! Kudos to your dedication to this group and offering your time!

I'm back on another cruise soon that leaves from Copenhagen. This time there are 5 adults and 1 child (age of 4). We will be landing at around 10:30 am on a Friday, and the return trip back to the airport would also be a Friday, but a 10:30am flight (so likely need the taxi at 7am). I have the following questions:

1) Is there a car seat requirement for a child in Denmark?

2) For the 6 of us, with our luggage, how much would it cost to book a large taxi to get from the airport to Ocean Quay terminal?

3) Is it possible to pre-book a large taxi, especially if we need a car seat for the child?

Thanks!

Sheila

1) yes there is, but if it's a short trip they may be sitting on the lap and if they are more than 135 cm they can go without one. 

I just asked a Mother of 2 🙂

2) probably closer to 500 kroner. 

3) there is people at the airport directing you to a taxi, they will give you the proper one. 

10 hours ago, FollowingTheSun said:

Taxis take credit cards and are easy to get to at the airport.

Just about everywhere in Copenhagen prefers credit cards.

19th May is the Copenhagen marathon which is run through the city so it might be 'interesting' getting to your hotel.

The marathon does add to the already enjoyable atmosphere.

It should be possible to get to your hotel with a taxi despite the marathon. Kalvebod Brygge and Bernstorffsgade should be open for traffic. However, I do recommend simply to take the train (not the metro) to Copenhagen central station. Your hotel is right next to it. It will be faster with the train, and a single ticket only costs 36 DKK

Hi

We are staying at Wakeup Borgergade and need to travel from there to Oceankaj on the morning of 19th May for the cruise.  Was intending to take the bus (#26 to Osterport and then #25/27). 

However, understand from earlier posts that May 19th is marathon day.  The marathon's webpage says that there will be bus diversions.  Would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on how best to travel to the cruise terminal that morning (open to any alternative methods too eg taking train/bus or taxi etc..).  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Intrepid Traveller 2008 said:

Hi

We are staying at Wakeup Borgergade and need to travel from there to Oceankaj on the morning of 19th May for the cruise.  Was intending to take the bus (#26 to Osterport and then #25/27). 

However, understand from earlier posts that May 19th is marathon day.  The marathon's webpage says that there will be bus diversions.  Would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on how best to travel to the cruise terminal that morning (open to any alternative methods too eg taking train/bus or taxi etc..).  Thanks in advance!

Your hotel is surrounded by the marathon route. So bus 26 will most likely not run from Borgergade. It does not seem like the changes to public transport have been finally planned yet, so it's difficult to say how you will be affected.

Metro, s-trains and regular trains will operate as usual. But most busses in the centre will be affected. The marathon route goes by Østerport station, so perhaps the two bus lines to Oceankaj will be diverted too, my guess to Nordhavn station. 

Last year, traffic information was communicated on May 12th, so perhaps check again then. At that time www.journeyplanner.dk should be updated with changes too.

You can get out of the marathon route by taking the metro from Kongens Nytorv to Nørreport and then the S-train north to Nordhavn station. Alternatively just walk to Nørreport station. It is not far. But I don't know about bus 25/27

Edited by frederik123456

On 5/1/2019 at 3:15 AM, Danish viking said:

1) yes there is, but if it's a short trip they may be sitting on the lap and if they are more than 135 cm they can go without one. 

I just asked a Mother of 2 🙂

2) probably closer to 500 kroner. 

3) there is people at the airport directing you to a taxi, they will give you the proper one. 

Thanks, Danish viking! Do taxis take credit cards?

4 hours ago, rover68 said:

I use a walker and wonder if able to use train to get to central station.  If that is possible, which exit is closest to Adel Guldsmeden hotel?

That is the reventlowsgade exit you need to use. 

I'm guessing its the Axel Hotel Guldsmeden you are staying at. 

Its located on a side street to Istedgade  

https://en.hovedbanen.dk/map/

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this very informative thread!  We'll be in Copenhagen July 11-13 before our cruise.  We don't arrive until the evening of July 11 so we're really only going to be touring on July 12 (and will do one more day when we disembark).  I know that the Jazz Festival will be going on during our visit.  We are planning on reservations for dinner but I was wondering if you thought that we'd also need them for lunch that day with the large Festival crowds.  

16 hours ago, DisneyMemaw said:

Thank you so much for this very informative thread!  We'll be in Copenhagen July 11-13 before our cruise.  We don't arrive until the evening of July 11 so we're really only going to be touring on July 12 (and will do one more day when we disembark).  I know that the Jazz Festival will be going on during our visit.  We are planning on reservations for dinner but I was wondering if you thought that we'd also need them for lunch that day with the large Festival crowds.  

I think you are overestimating the size of the festival crowd. It's not necessary to make reservations for lunch, unless you travelling as a are a large group or maybe if you want to eat at a specific (and small and popular) restaurant.

Sorry you are correct. 

The Carlsberg Experience is closed this year and will open again next year. 

The reason given is that they have a huge renovation og thd place and also other construction sites in the area maling access a little bit more difficult. 

But the brand store is still open. 

Hi!

While making reservations for the Grofton at Tivoli Gardens I was asked to choose a seating area. I tried a translator app, however some words didn't translate. Would you be so kind and assist? 

And if YOU were choosing an area, which two would you enjoy the most and why?

Thank you so much Danish Viking for your help!

IMG_0377.JPG

5 hours ago, Terry in NJ said:

While making reservations for the Grofton at Tivoli Gardens I was asked to choose a seating area.

As a fellow American, I want to flag one thing for you (as it might be a surprise).  We tried to eat at Groften last summer.  No problem in getting a table as a walk up, but it turned out, to our great surprise, that there was a huge smoking section (in the otherwise lovely semi-outdoor area).   We didn't realize smoking was allowed there until we were seated and smelled all the smoke, including a guy smoking a cigar one table over, which is a total deal breaker for us.   We asked to be moved, and we were moved to a small no-smoking section.  That would have been fine, except that it overlooked the smoking area and the smoke was drifting up.  

If smoke in restaurants bothers you, I would look into this some more; perhaps there's a section in Groften where it will not be a problem.   (Perhaps Danish Viking can answer.)   Or maybe something has changed since last summer and there's no smoking allowed at all.

Edited by Turtles06

I have never been to Grøften but its the celebrity hotspot in Tivoli. 

A direct translation of these areas would be. 

Forhaven = front garden

Mellemhave = middle garden (don't know what that means) 

Pergola = Pavillion

Mormors Kolonihavehuse = grandmoms allotment hut

Teatercafeen = needs no explanation

Snapse galleri = schnaps gallery 

Baghaven = back yard

Pantomime = The pantomime. 

• Like 1

Dear Danish Viking,

You helped me three years ago with a couple of questions for a Baltic Cruise and again coming for Norwegian Fjords in a few days time! I would appreciate your help again so very much! Thank you😉

(1)  On Sunday 19th May I need to get from the Skt Petri Hotel in København to Ocean Kai , could you please guide me on transport, was hoping to get bus/train. I was trying to calculate taxi costs but was not successful in finding out.

(2)  On Sunday 26th May I need to get from Ocean Kai to Absalon Hotel in København

Many thanks in advance, really appreciate it.

Grace

We arrive May 19 and you mentioned the Copenhagen marathon is that day. What are the hours.Has the route been posted. We arrive at 11:00a and need to get to Copenhagen Plaza . Two people ( I have a walker). Prefer a taxi but do you think the train would be better because of the event?

Thank you.