Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
megr1125

CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

New to this site, and to cruising. I am looking for advice. Family of 4, 2 adults 2 young children will be cruising on Royal Caribbean from May 31st-June 8th. We are planning to take an early flight into Newark International Airport on the 30th, and I am looking at the Best Western nearby the airport as I have read that they provide a shuttle to Cape Liberty. Open to other options that are nearby, and have means of transportation with kids. Breakfast included would be a plus! We are fine with 2 queen or full beds. 

 

We would like to do some sightseeing, the day we get in, particularly interested in seeing the Twin Tower Memorial. Kids are both in booster seats so this impedes on traveling, is our best option to take trains? Are we able to take the shuttle with booster seats? We have never been to the city, so I'm not even sure where to begin. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, llettieri said:

Hi All,

New to this site, and to cruising. I am looking for advice. Family of 4, 2 adults 2 young children will be cruising on Royal Caribbean from May 31st-June 8th. We are planning to take an early flight into Newark International Airport on the 30th, and I am looking at the Best Western nearby the airport as I have read that they provide a shuttle to Cape Liberty. Open to other options that are nearby, and have means of transportation with kids. Breakfast included would be a plus! We are fine with 2 queen or full beds. 

 

We would like to do some sightseeing, the day we get in, particularly interested in seeing the Twin Tower Memorial. Kids are both in booster seats so this impedes on traveling, is our best option to take trains? Are we able to take the shuttle with booster seats? We have never been to the city, so I'm not even sure where to begin. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

First let’s clarify the car seat situation with your children before we find you a hotel.   How old are they and exactly how tall are they?  I think the kids can ride the airport shuttles.  They can definitely ride the train.  Would you be bringing the booster seats?

 

The Best Western cruise package is competitively priced for your date.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 138east said:

First let’s clarify the car seat situation with your children before we find you a hotel.   How old are they and exactly how tall are they?  I think the kids can ride the airport shuttles.  They can definitely ride the train.  Would you be bringing the booster seats?

 

The Best Western cruise package is competitively priced for your date.

 

 

Yes, I will be bringing their seats. 5 & 6, and both are in high-back boosters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't lock into packages either.  If you choose the BW you're not going to have any options for food other than what they have.

 

Look at the Courtyard, Residence Inn, Embassy Suites or Country Inn Newark/Elizabeth.  You can check their package price OR you can book a room and take Uber or Lyft (you'll need a bigger vehicle for the car seats) or even a cab/car service--Golden Touch  is the vendor that the hotels use (they also operate several hotel and airline crew shuttles to/from those hotels--so they may be able to assist you and your family)

 

The BW is probably OK (I've seen it but will never stay in a BW as a rule, it's just me) though it's close to a prison and as I said, not near any other options to eat unless you want to order in.  I try to steer people to newer, easier to get to properties with options.  Yes hotels by EWR are not cheap but SOME of them offer "cruise packages" for a reason so check the other hotels I mentioned.  There is also a new Home2Suites by Hilton (near a few other hotels that are fine). That hotel doesn't have a package and you'd have to order in OR walk to the adjacent Courtyard Newark Airport (yes, there are 2 CYs up there) and hit their Bistro.  That H2S just opened late in 2018 so it might be a better value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re going into The 911 Memorial, also look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton because of the easy PATH access.  PATH will be $2.75/pp each way. This cuts out the train from EWR to Newark Penn which will cost $8.50 for adults each way and $1.85 for children under 12 - almost a $40 savings plus cutting the travel time by at least 30 minutes each way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 138east said:

If you’re going into The 911 Memorial, also look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton because of the easy PATH access.  PATH will be $2.75/pp each way. This cuts out the train from EWR to Newark Penn which will cost $8.50 for adults each way and $1.85 for children under 12 - almost a $40 savings plus cutting the travel time by at least 30 minutes each way.

Is there convenient transportation from the airport to this hotel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, llettieri said:

Is there convenient transportation from the airport to this hotel?

 

Yes, that Hilton has a shuttle....it's a bit farther away, maybe a 15-20 minute trip due to lights and traffic but they do have an airport shuttle, it'll say NEWARK PENN STATION HILTON, so be sure to get the correct one.  They have, in the past, asked for your name so that they can verify you're a guest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, llettieri said:

Is there convenient transportation from the airport to this hotel?

They offer a hotel shuttle.  If you’re arriving between 2 and 6 pm, check with the hotel So they know when your party of 4 with kids is arriving.

 

For all EWR shuttles you have to collect your luggage, take the escalators or elevators up to the free airtrain, and go to the P4 station, which is where the shuttle pick up.

Edited by 138east

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, megr1125 said:

The SpringHill is likely safer than the Ramada but be careful getting there as it's tricky and trafficky (made up word!)  and if you miss it, getting back is a pain in the rear....

 

The image that 138 and I are speaking about, with the wheels removed, was one that was taken recently but it is NOT mine and I have not been able to contact the person who took it for permission to post it here.  Suffice it to say, I'd not stay there, it's really disconcerting and well, while I don't have wheels that are as fancy as the ones that were stolen, I do have more expensive wheels on my car (came that way) and I'm not planning to find out.  Also, I just prefer to be at 13A in one of the hotels adjacent to Jersey Gardens and where I have a few options to eat that are not hotel food.

I don't understand the parking garage thing though.  Royal and X are owned by the same company so I think maybe someone misinformed you.  I'd suggest calling or emailing them....you can go to cruiseliberty.com for contact info.

 

16 hours ago, 138east said:

Trinityreservations.comis offering Springhill Suites on June 4 for 2 people plus 14 days parking, town car port transportation, and free breakfast for $298 tax included.

 

Last year the RCL cruises went out on Thur, Fri, and Sat, so the garage was filled for the typical Celebrity Sun sailings.  You’re sailing on a Wed.  If no one on the previous cruise was able to park in the garage, then there will be no spaces for your cruise.

Thank you for the advice.  I called about the jeep "wheelless" event and got an interesting story that resulted in beefed up security.  However I think we will go to Springhill.  Thank you for the response.  My wheels are expensive as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Quo Vadis? said:

 

Thank you for the advice.  I called about the jeep "wheelless" event and got an interesting story that resulted in beefed up security.  However I think we will go to Springhill.  Thank you for the response.  My wheels are expensive as well.

Can you share the “interesting story”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 138east said:

Can you share the “interesting story”?

Do you have an email to share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Quo Vadis? said:

Do you have an email to share?

cc138east at gmail dot com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, Quo Vadis? said:

Do you have an email to share?

 

I am looking at hotels as well, could you share?

 

tjutzig at yahoo

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tutzig said:

 

I am looking at hotels as well, could you share?

 

tjutzig at yahoo

 

Thank you

You’re sailing on Adventure June 22 with your 2 boys and your parents - 5 people?  You’re coming from the South on the turnpike from at least exit 6.  You’ve looked at hotels in Linden on or near route 1.

 

Questions - price range for hotel? How many rooms?  Bed size requirements?  Are you parking two cars at the pier or are you looking for parking and port transportation or some other arrangement like park one car at a hotel and transport everyone else in the other car to park at the pier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 138east said:

You’re sailing on Adventure June 22 with your 2 boys and your parents - 5 people?  You’re coming from the South on the turnpike from at least exit 6.  You’ve looked at hotels in Linden on or near route 1.

 

Questions - price range for hotel? How many rooms?  Bed size requirements?  Are you parking two cars at the pier or are you looking for parking and port transportation or some other arrangement like park one car at a hotel and transport everyone else in the other car to park at the pier?

 

My boys and I are coming from the south (Baltimore) and Parents from the west (Harrisburg).

 

We had a bad experience with taking a shuttle post cruise, left for around 90 minutes, so probably going to just park at the port. The leaving one at the hotel does sound nice, I do not think we can fit luggage and 5 adults and a guide dog in one of our small SUV's. 

 

We are getting 2 rooms total.. Currently found the Hampton Inn Linden for Government rate at 122.00 before taxes. It has free parking for the night.

 

I prefer there being something to eat in the area, so that was why I eliminated a couple choices, especially the few just north of the airport that was surrounded by highways.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you look at Woodbridge NJ?  There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday 

Inn close to the Turnpike.  Gov Base rate is about $108.  How do you arrange for the guide dog?  I assume any hotel has to accept a service dog. 

 

You can can even look down the Turnpike to exit 8, 8A, or 9.  When I cruised with my mom, she lived at exit 8 and we always drove to Cape Liberty in about 45 minutes.  It’s a more suburban/rural area - much less stressful than dealing with the roads in the greater Newark Airport area.  Saturday morning to a Cape Liberty would be an easy drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Carol, this is an FYI since you always help everyone:classic_smile: I had booked a room at The BEEKMAN which is in Lower Manhattan for next month pre-cruise. I was looking on line today and the price dropped by 175.00!!!:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.  I am happy!  I will be glad to give a review upon my return for anyone interested. It looks really nice (booked on a friend's recommendation) and I know the location is near the 9/11 Museum and Ground Zero.

 

I made a reservation at Gallagher's Steakhouse for dinner (that was a recommendation from folks on this forum) and then I am going to see BEAUTIFUL:classic_biggrin:.  Hoping for a great evening!!! Now it is a waiting game since I don't sail till April 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 138east said:

Did you look at Woodbridge NJ?  There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday 

Inn close to the Turnpike.  Gov Base rate is about $108.  How do you arrange for the guide dog?  I assume any hotel has to accept a service dog. 

 

You can can even look down the Turnpike to exit 8, 8A, or 9.  When I cruised with my mom, she lived at exit 8 and we always drove to Cape Liberty in about 45 minutes.  It’s a more suburban/rural area - much less stressful than dealing with the roads in the greater Newark Airport area.  Saturday morning to a Cape Liberty would be an easy drive.

 

Thank you so much, I did not notice Woodbridge, but it definitely looks like a better option!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, megr1125 said:

 

Yes, that Hilton has a shuttle....it's a bit farther away, maybe a 15-20 minute trip due to lights and traffic but they do have an airport shuttle, it'll say NEWARK PENN STATION HILTON, so be sure to get the correct one.  They have, in the past, asked for your name so that they can verify you're a guest.  

Ok, so I am interested in this hotel. I called to confirm the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. They said they run them 24 hrs a day and to call when we are in. No carseats required on the shuttle bus. However, what is our best means of transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty? I'm thinking of leaving the carseats behind now if we don't need them, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get to Cape Liberty without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, llettieri said:

Ok, so I am interested in this hotel. I called to confirm the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. They said they run them 24 hrs a day and to call when we are in. No carseats required on the shuttle bus. However, what is our best means of transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty? I'm thinking of leaving the carseats behind now if we don't need them, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get to Cape Liberty without them.

My understanding is that you would need the car seats if not in an exempt vehicle like a shuttle bus.  Hopefully others will post as I am no longer a NJ resident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are renting a car at home and driving it one way to NJ. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the car rental place to the cruise terminal (Athem)?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H8mundays said:

We are renting a car at home and driving it one way to NJ. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the car rental place to the cruise terminal (Athem)?  Thanks

Not unless you’re returning the car to Enterprise in Bayonne.  Where exactly are you returning the car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 138east said:

Not unless you’re returning the car to Enterprise in Bayonne.  Where exactly are you returning the car?

We are planning on renting the car at home and returning it to a rental car lot close to the pier that hopefully has a shuttle to the ship and then get a shuttle back to the car rental place after the cruise to pick up another car (hope that makes sense to you 🙂  )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, H8mundays said:

We are planning on renting the car at home and returning it to a rental car lot close to the pier that hopefully has a shuttle to the ship and then get a shuttle back to the car rental place after the cruise to pick up another car (hope that makes sense to you 🙂  )

 

The only rental car place in Bayonne is Enterprise.  There are many rental car places at Newark Airport and a few in Jersey City.  None of the airport or Jersey City locations offer port shuttles.  The NY metro area rental car locations (except Enterprise in Bayonne - you would have to verify that they still provide a shuttle) offer shuttles to any of the NY cruiseports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so what if I return the car to the airport what can I expect to pay for a cab or shuttle from the airport to cape liberty cruise terminal?  (I appreciate all your help)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...