Walk to the beach?

Only trying to be helpful and didn't realize you didn't want to spend any money to get to one.  The problem is most pier areas at the ports of call are in commercial areas, not many with beaches right near by.  St. Martin has one in Philipsburg, which is a bit of a hike but can be walked to - although a $3 water taxi will get you there in 5 minutes from the pier.  There may be a small one in Cozumel not too far from the pier, but not sure how good it is.  There is a good beach in Barbados that can be reached with about a 20 minute or so walk.

But if you are looking for good beaches on the islands, your will need to venture away from the pier areas to get to them.  I realize you are trying to avoid paying for transportation, but a few $ for a cab might be necessary to find good beaches.  Most don't charge fees to use, but will charge for chairs and umbrellas.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Agree with leaveitallbehind - main problem is that ships dock in ports with lots of other ships - too much dirt, debris, industrial-type stuff to make the surrounding area a really pretty beach.

You can usually take a water taxi, regular taxi, or you can walk, but it could be a couple of miles in hot sun.  In Aruba, for example, public buses are very cheap and doable - beaches are all public (no fee).  Bus terminal is right across the street from port.  Beaches are pretty close in Bonnaire.  

2 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

I've been on several Caribbean cruises, but they've all been to the usual places when you go for a week on Carnival out of Florida. So I know that the beaches aren't nearby. I liked the convenience of the beach at Grand Turk and wondered how unique that was.

Pretty unique. I've cruised extensively to most of the islands in the Caribbean over the years and Grandma Dazzles, George C, and I provided the few examples - at least in my experience - of what you are looking for.  You'll just have to venture away from the commercial areas with transportation to find the good beaches on just about every island.  But you can do so economically and the beaches you will find are well worth it.

If you don’t want to pay $6 (round trip, I recall) for the water taxi from pier at St. Maarten, you can walk to Great Bay beach in about 20 minutes.  In St. Croix there is a beach about a 10 minute walk away.  You could save a bit on fares on other islands by talking it up on your roll call and finding someone to share a taxi with

51 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

Price really isn't the concern for me, it's the distance. Anytime spent traveling to the beach is time spent away from the beach.:classic_biggrin:

Well you didn't say that!  You said you didn't want to spend any money - in either transportation or entrance fees.  And your title says "Walk to the beach". You have since modified your position considerably.

As I said in my earlier responses, most islands have very good beaches only a short - and inexpensive - taxi ride away.  Most with no access fees - just chair and umbrella rental fees and food for purchase.  And to your concerns on distance, the short ride I indicate would in most cases be 20 minutes or less.

Let me list some that we've been beaches at:  St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Barbados, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica (depending on port of call), Costa Maya, Roatan, Aruba, Bonaire......in other words, most of them!  If you google beaches on each island you are interested in you will find good information regarding them and their location relative to the piers.  The cab drivers at the piers on every island know them and drive ship passengers to and from them every day a ship is in port. 

Go and enjoy!

• Like 1