Pre-Cruise beauty rituals, what's yours?

teegeezfun

One week before, I have a facial. And I also lay out clothes, etc. for the cruise, checking buttons, zippers, last minute dry cleaning, etc. I pack the suitcase with items that do not suffer from being rolled and squished. This also stops my dog from going nuts, as she tends to do whenever a suitcase comes out of hiding and gives her time to get used to the idea that, yes, mommy is leaving again.

Two days before, I get a mani, a pedi, brow wax, and Brazilian.

Five sessions total in a turbo tan bed over two weeks if I am not tan already although I am going to try the airbrush in March as I know tanning beds are not good for my skin.

I often fly or drive in the night before which helps me start to relax a day ahead of time.

It looks like I'm the only one that does this, but I wait until I'm on the ship to get my hair done. First thing I do when I set foot onboard is go up to the spa and schedule the "makeover" option, which includes cut and color and is only $90. I'm usually able to get the first appointment-the one directly after the muster drill. I've always gotten my highlights done as part of this, it's cheaper, and always get results that are better than my normal salon. My family has never taken a good embarkation picture, so I don't care if my hair doesn't look perfect in it because it's one of those things we buy to laugh at, if we buy it at all.

You're brave! LOL!!!

I'd never let a stranger cut my hair! I've been going to the same hair stylist for 15 years and if she ever retires.....well, she'd better not! <g>

I've only had highlights done twice and liked them, so I may do them again this summer. I went to colorist recommended by a friend of mine who's very, very picky. I've seen some bad highlighting jobs - so again it's not something I'd trust to anyone.

But if the ship's stylists are better than the ones in your home town, then it's a great deal financially and a wonderful way to start off your cruise!

I'd love to wait til I board ship to get my pedicure, but the ship's usually charge about $65-$75. while I pay $25. for both a mani & pedi here in NYC so I just can't justify the price increase of about $100. for the same end result.

Hope this isn't TMI for y'all but it has been a real help for me. On the first day of our first cruise I spent the whole afternoon in the water. By the end of that time my ear was so blocked up I could not hear. I thought it was just water in my ear that would drain but it did not. Dinner the first night out was miserable. I could not hear a thing anyone said to my left. I ended up in the infirmary the next morning where they gave me some drops to soften up the blockage. It took a whole day but it finally cleared.

Now I get my ears checked a couple weeks before my cruise (at the nurses office at work). They offer an 'irrigation' service for $10 and it is such a relief! Boy was I embarasssed the first time but she told me that many people have the same condition. Now I go and travel with peace of mind!

The evening before we leave, DH and I head to a salon that has a "couple's room" for a pedicure. We bring along a nice bottle of wine, while the salon provides cheeses, crackers and fruit - we usually spend a couple of hours together relaxing at the end of our packing frenzy, readying ourselves for a wonderful trip ahead. Our next cruise isn't scheduled until October, but already DH has asked me "Did you book that foot-thing yet?" Seems he enjoys the relaxation as much as I do (without the nail polish!).

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

About two weeks pre-cruise, I try on clothes to make sure that they fit properly. I don't want any nasty surprises.

Next, I schedual a haircut, color and highlighting, to be done 1 week prior. Pedi & Mani are done within days of boarding, or after my last day of work. Postal work is brutal on hands.

half the fun of going on vacation is the planning....

we leave on Sun for the Radiance of the Seas Eastern cruise..

Will have my final fake and bake on Sat...nails are done, pedicure is done..hair cut ,colour and highlight done last Sat... and I shave as I go... :)

Another one hit me as I was folding laundry. BUY NEW UNDERWEAR. Especially if you plan to have your laundry done while on-board. I have (and I am sure others do also) underwear that is perfectly functional, but is -- how shall I say this -- clean but stained and has seen better days. Now when it is just me, I go ahead wear it, but if someone else (ie those in the laundry) may see it ....

Archived