Cruise Critic Community
tjcletzgo

Whale Watching-which port is best?

I agree with Bruce that Cabo is the best port for whale watching.  Also, in my never humble opinion, Cabo is the port with the least interesting alternatives, so you might as well do the whale watching or other water-focused excursions there.

We did whale watching in Cabo mid-December when we did a Panama Canal cruise with NCL.  During the last 30 minutes of the whale watching tour we were treated to a pair of whales breaching.  It was AWESOME!

11j0umh.jpg

2irl0cg.jpg

2ez7d4z.jpg

20abe4z.jpg

One thing to remember, when it comes to excursions dealing with nature there are no real guarantees.  You have to take what you get.  Our whale watching excursion started off with not much to see and continued for most of the excursion.  We had spotted one whale and only saw that one when it surfaced to breathe.    As I said in my previous post, it wasn't until the last half hour that the two whales appeared out of nowhere in front of our boat and began breaching.  Our excursion went from a ho hum excursion to outstanding in the blink of an eye.  Even the crew of our excursion boat was excited about the display we were witnessing.

Here's a picture that gives you an idea of how large those whales were.  One of the whales stuck a flipper out the water near a small boat.  The flipper is probably as long as that boat.

315mzkg.jpg