Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hopefully they can do something about the frightful vibration that shakes the cutlery a dancing in OCEAN PALACE at times. Does'nt happen often but when it sets in (cavitation I think) then it takes an eternity to die down .

Previously posted :

Yes, the Asia 1,2,3,4 itinerary is new however I am not able to reveal any information. Each trip mixes ports-of-call around South China Sea, Straits of Malacca. Each trip has slightly different port of calls.

Based on announcements made on board SS Gemini (as posted) all the above itineraries will include Hong Kong as a port of call both as two departures for existing Asian Oddysey, plus 1 departure each Asia 1, 2, 3 (21 day), and Asia 4 (14 days) = 6 visits to Hong Kong in 2008 .

Riviera 30 (Les) Glad to hear you've got your cabin numbers. I'm sure all will workout fine- If your like us we decided we wouldn't be in our cabin often hence a cabin on the same deck as you. Not to long to go now.

E onboard :)

Hi All,

Hi E, our travel agent is useless, we still haven't received tickets or documentation yet, they are telling us 2 weeks before the cruise, but we spend time before the cruise in Singapore so I would have appreciated at least 3 weeks which would have been this week coming. The trouble is you only speak to a young girl who is hopeless and gets and attitude if you start to tip acid on her. She says that it is out of her hands and it is the Cruise Line contractors fault, anyway, no good expending energy on her when it is pointless, the tickets will get to us when they do! We do not intend to be in our rooms that much apart from changing clothes etc and sleeping, as long as the surrounding noise levels are OK it should be quite sleepable.

I am going to start my list and checking things off, I pulled out my suitcase the other day to dust it down and the handle came off in my hand, so I thought better start now so there would be no more surprises, also will download maps and tourist info from the web and find out the latest rules and regulations from immigration, or maybe even Dicky Beach or Boeckli might have the info on how one takes duty free in and out of Australia and Singapore without getting in trouble, also if you have to go through immigration every time you go on and off Gemini.

Cheers

Les

What happens you join in Singapore and they retain your Passport at ships reception . Your on board card is your cabin door key, your passport to get you on and off the boat, and on your on board charge card for any purchases including grog in restaurants and bars . Passport returned when you settle your on board account before disembarking in Singapore . (some people persist is saying debarking - which is in fact to remove the voice chords of an annoying dog !!!!)

As Aussies no visas are required for tourist visits to Singapore, Malayasia, Thailand or Hong Kong . If your itinerary calls at Vietnam then Star get the Visa for you ($ 30 fee charged within your fare), and you will be given paper pass you use to disembark and reboard at Vitnamese ports . Simple . Only thing is check your passport has at least 3 months validity left as that is condition of entry (visa less) to the above mentioned countries.

Finally sounds like you need to change your travel agent, sounds clueless and useless . If all else fails pull rank and ask to see principal of the business , that should get some action.

HI Kudalai and all,

I'm following any information given to Les because we head out when he arrives back (Sep 30). Thanks for all that information. Handy to know- wasn't sure myself about disembarking etc at ports of call.

Les - I agree with Kudalai- go to the top at your travel agents- how is it others leaving after you have all their paperwork (moi) ? I would have thought that most Gemini bookings went through the same wholesaler (but I am not in the business so not sure on this point)?

Can anyone clarify the question about dutyfree alcohol? DO you purchase in Aus before departure or in Singapore on arrival at airport?

DO you pack in your suitcase or I thought someone mentioned carrying in hand luggage to board the ship?

Thanks in anticipation

Hi All,

Hi E, our travel agent is useless, we still haven't received tickets or documentation yet, they are telling us 2 weeks before the cruise, but we spend time before the cruise in Singapore so I would have appreciated at least 3 weeks which would have been this week coming.

Don't despair, Les - Our TA received our docs on 25/07 and we had them 2 days later (if necessary they could have been emailed, as it is only a 1-page "confirmation slip" these days). Our sailing date was 05/08.

Documents for Star Cruises sailings have always been quite late in arriving - I do not believe it is necessarily the wholesalers who hold things up either, as we have had bookings through different ones over the years.

Regards duty free - we did it the easy way and pre-purchased alcohol at Perth airport B4 departure, then just collected upon return. That way you don't have to cart it around, less chance of breakage and the prices appear to be pretty good in comparison these days.

another point just came to mind - we did not in fact receive points on our Worldcard for the actual cruise - apparently, as we booked under a promotion, no points were accrued.

I intend to follow this up with the Worldcard section, as I had no intention to spend valuable cruise time to dwell on it. Used up the points I already had plus what accrued from onboard spending.

Just something you may want to be mindful of (or check out with the Worldcard people B4 your relevant departures).

You are only allowed small sandwich sized plastic bag of liquids and gels on aircraft in cabin hand baggage these days . So much easier to buy duty free on arrival at Changi Airport .

Take it on board in your hand baggage . Don't attempt to take it to bars or restaurants on board as you will be charged $ 18 Singapore corkage per person per visitation ! The on board drink prices at bars and restaurants are really very reasonable by Australian standards.(like Aussie swill bar prices ). Like full bottles Rosemount wines for $ 17 Aus which is way below what Aussie restaurants rip you off for same wine.

Don't buy grog in Singapore proper as Government taxes make prices relatively high .

Personally unless your'e down to your last penny, forget the duty free thing and all the hassles of lugging grog around - RELAX and buy your drinks on board .

Calling all Gemini Cruises from the West.

Check out Saturday’s Travel Section in the West newspaper, there is a two page article titled “The life of a SuperStar”!:D

So you see I can be as positive as anyone with regards to the Gemini, autographs later! LOL.:p

Regards, Bruce J Crane (aka BJC)

Mike try http://www.thewest.com.au/ I can't search any deeper at the moment as I had an op on my eyelid muscle Thursday and apart from bruising can't open my eye yet!! So just a couple of minutes on the internet, reading, tv is all I can do at the moment.

However, Bruce, I did manage to read your article and even in short bursts and with one eye - it is very good to read such positive comments about the Gemini.

Vera

Vera hi, so sorry to hear about your eye. I can understand how uncomfortable it feels. Just take it easy and don't strain too much.

Thanks for the link. I'll try to dig further a little later when I have some free time.

Get better quick!

Best,

Mike

hi all

read the article in the West- very positive comments and made good reading especially for a newbie like me. Great comments about the dining and affordability of wines etc. Bodes well for our September cruise!

By the way the link probably will not have the article for a couple of days (wouldn't do for people to get info from the net and not buy a paper - would it?) LOL :rolleyes:

Hi Vera- hope the eye is on the mend.

Have a general question- was reading a huge posting by tmbhl on the go (June 22) where she said that she hired a taxi driver to get her to the hongs and james bond island.

Was wondering has anyone else done independent shorex at phuket or krabi.

How did you arrange it and was it worth it?

Also for anyone who did the Organised Shore Tour- what did you think and was it worth it etc?

Only item I could find seach WA news site is http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=402779

James Bond Island is a hell of a long way like 70 + kms from where the boats dock/tender in Phuket . Better to take the Star Tour to James Bond Island. You get driven right to the end of Phuket Island and across bridge onto Thai mainland then into a village where you join motorized boat and visit river, caves and James Bond Island . Well worth the visit and an excellent tour, but beware of the army of souvenir sellers at JBI . On way back stops at native village on stilts over the river . Then you have an excellent lunch at riverside hotel before starting on return trip which calls at a jewellery factory and showroom / salesfloor then back to boat . If you go by taxi would cost you a fortune, and then how you would go hiring a boat for two would be anyones guess . Play it safe and book the ships tour .

Hi All

I wish it was the case of being able to talk to a store manager but with F****t C****e it is not the case, a good lesson learned for next time.

Dicky Beach and Boeckeli, have you gat any good info eg:

Shows what are playing, average age group and nationalities, what sort of dance classes do they have, is the dancing good, what are the bands like, any comments on the food, can you get 3 meals a day in the Ocean Palace, could you always get seating easy enough, were the shows good or etc, has the Heidi settled down and was she of help, is the cleanliness any better and are they watching out more for the chance of infection, how was the captains dinner, any shore ex you would recommend, how much did it cost for dry cleaning and ironing services, is there room in the wardrobes to hand a show and clothes stacker.

It would be great to get some feedback, I suppose I am getting a little bit nervous now, our dollar has been on a downward slide and I am hoping it will not drop too low before we get a chance to buy pressies!

All welcome

Cheers

Les

ps: I hope your getting all this as well E, its good for you as well.

Thanks all for your good wishes re my eye - patience and I'll get there - just wish I could read while I'm off work!

Ursula - sorry we couldn't meet last week but it was lovely talking to you and hearing about your trip. Not long till your next cruise ..

Vera

If I'm not mistaken, cruise director aboard Gemini should be Ms. Myla Catibayan from the Philippines. ACD will be Ms. Heidicha from UK.

If Myla is not onboard, then Heidicha will be filling in for her.

Myla will also be the cruise director for the Pacific season.

Yeah. Myla has a strong passion for her job, she is also very down-to-earth and willing to assist in any way she could.

Gemini cruise director for Pacific will definitely be Myla, for now Hedicha is filling in. Myla should be going on her vacation pretty soon(6 month work 1 month off if I'm not wrong).