Naples- Herculanaem and Amalfi Coast

57spring

We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers traveling in early July on RC. We decided that we wanted to visit Herculaneum due to its size and the limited time we have. Also wanted to visit 1 town on the Amalfi Coast. 

Many suggestions on what town that should be given our limited amount of time. Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to visit the Amalfi coast FIRST because of the uncertain traffic. I suggest Positano as the best (assuming you have a car with driver), Amalfi as the easiest, or Ravello for its fantastic views.

Herculaneum is best visited after, its closer to Naples and you can give yourselves as much time there as you have left - 2 hours is ideal, one hour is worthwhile

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks. We were going to try to go with public transportation but sounds like hiring a driver would make more sense. 

We we will likely price a private transfer from Naples port to Positano and then and drop off at Herculaneum. Thinking we can return to the port on the train. 

11 hours ago, 57spring said:

Thanks. We were going to try to go with public transportation but sounds like hiring a driver would make more sense. 

We we will likely price a private transfer from Naples port to Positano and then and drop off at Herculaneum. Thinking we can return to the port on the train. 

Herculaneum is easy by train - the Circumvesuviana line - get off at Ercolano Scavi.

But the Amalfi coast is next-to impossible by public transport on a port-of-call day because the hourly bus service from Sorrento is grossly over-subscribed. You my have to stand in line for over an hour - for the bus after the one that fills from the line ahead of you. 

No fun outbound, but could be disastrous for your return to the ship on time.

If you were to try this by public transit the most efficient routing would be Trenitalia from Naples to Salerno (40 minutes, 4,70 euro) followed by a short walk (about a half mile) to the Concordia dock where you'd get a ferry to either Amalfi or Positano (Amalfi is 35 minutes, 8 euro; Positano is 70 minutes, 12 euro).

From there (Amalfi or Positano) you could take a ferry to Sorrento and then get the Circumvesuviana train to Ercolano Scavi (for Herculeneum) and then again from there back to Naples.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On February 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM, euro cruiser said:

If you were to try this by public transit the most efficient routing would be Trenitalia from Naples to Salerno (40 minutes, 4,70 euro) followed by a short walk (about a half mile) to the Concordia dock where you'd get a ferry to either Amalfi or Positano (Amalfi is 35 minutes, 8 euro; Positano is 70 minutes, 12 euro).

From there (Amalfi or Positano) you could take a ferry to Sorrento and then get the Circumvesuviana train to Ercolano Scavi (for Herculeneum) and then again from there back to Naples.

Euro cruiser how much time do you think this proposed schedule will take ?

7 hours ago, tikruizer said:

Don't know where my amigo, Eurocruiser is hiding so we will jump in.  To be blunt, it will take a long time.  You first must get from your pier to the train station which can be done via public transit, walking or taxi.  But then you have to wait for the next train.   The actual time depends on your connections but assume it takes 1 1/2 hours from the ship to Salerno.  You then have to trek about 1/2 mile which takes most families around 15 minutes.   The ferries runs about once an hour so depending on your timing you could wait up to an hour for a ferry and then that ferry would take 70 minutes to get to Positano.  Then reverse the process to get back.  Also consider that the ferry will cost you around 24 Euros (per person) round trip and the train will add approximately 10 Euros per person round trip.    This is not really a good plan if you are also thinking about going to Herculaneum.  

There is another alternative if you can meet the schedule.  Assuming your ship is docked early, hustle to the train station and take the Circumvesuviana Line train (it runs every half hour) to Sorrento and takes about 50 min.  At Sorrento you then have to walk down to the ferry pier in time to catch the 9:35 ferry to Positano (40 min).  You would have a couple of hours in Positano but must catch the 12:00 noon ferry back to Sorrento.  Then walk (or grab a taxi) to the train station and take the Cirvumvesuviana Line train back towards Naples, but get off at the Ercolano Scavi station.  From there its about a 10 min walk to Herculaneum.  After Herculaneum you can grab the train back to Naples and then back to the ship.   If you were really pressed for time you could get a taxi from Herculanieum back to the port for about 50 Euros.    The downside to this plan is that you must make that 9:35 ferry (there are only about 3 ferries per day).  This means you must make the 8:11 train (from Naples Porto Galana)(or from Garibaldi about 3 min later).  If you can get off the ship by 7:30 this is all possible.  And by the way, that ferry between Sorrento and Positano costs 15 Euros one-way per person.

And now you know why we drive to the Amalfi Coast :).  

Hank

11 hours ago, tikruizer said:

How long would it take?  The entire day.  You would be spending most of your day en route.   I answered the question asked but didn't suggest it was a good idea.

I did give the times and costs for the key segments so you can add them up yourselves.  To be any more specific would require knowing your arrival and departure times.  If you want to try and lay it out yourself the ferry schedule is here:  https://www.travelmar.it/it/orari.  The train schedule between Naples and Salerno is here:  https://www.trenitalia.com

Hank's alternate proposal doesn't work because he has a mistake with a key connection, the early ferry from Sorrento to Positano departs at 8:35, and the next one isn't until 10:30 (see here for schedule:  http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe).  It's nearly impossible to get to Sorrento in time for that first crossing, the Circumvesviana train takes 70 minutes to travel from Naples to Sorrento (there are a few 50 minute express trains throughout the day but the morning one departs at 6:40 AM and I don't know of any port days in Naples that start at 6 AM), the last train that would get you to Sorrento in time to make it down to the port for the 8:35 crossing departs Naples before 7 AM.  Schedule here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/NAPOLI SORRENTO L1.pdf

Traveling along the coast by car in July is not a reasonable alternative, whether you drive yourself or hire a car service.  The Amalfi Coast has been a popular place for a long time but in recent years there has been a surge of visitors that the one-lane-in-each-direction road simply cannot handle.  

Eight hours is a pretty short stop.  If you are interested in Vesuvio you would have time to climb to the top of the Grand Cone, there is a bus service to the crater that leaves from the piazza in front of the Ercolano Scavi Circumvesuviana station, the same place you'd get off to go to Herculeneum.

There is so much to see and do in Naples, are you avoiding spending time there for some reason?

Depending on the timing, you might also be able to continue on the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento after Herculeneum, then take the ferry back to Naples (the ferry takes half the time of the train and leaves you right next to the cruise port).

Edited by euro cruiser

9 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

How long would it take?  The entire day.  You would be spending most of your day en route.   I answered the question asked but didn't suggest it was a good idea.

I did give the times and costs for the key segments so you can add them up yourselves.  To be any more specific would require knowing your arrival and departure times.  If you want to try and lay it out yourself the ferry schedule is here:  https://www.travelmar.it/it/orari.  The train schedule between Naples and Salerno is here:  https://www.trenitalia.com

Hank's alternate proposal doesn't work because he has a mistake with a key connection, the early ferry from Sorrento to Positano departs at 8:35, and the next one isn't until 10:30 (see here for schedule:  http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe).  It's nearly impossible to get to Sorrento in time for that first crossing, the Circumvesviana train takes 70 minutes to travel from Naples to Sorrento (there are a few 50 minute express trains throughout the day but the morning one departs at 6:40 AM and I don't know of any port days in Naples that start at 6 AM), the last train that would get you to Sorrento in time to make it down to the port for the 8:35 crossing departs Naples before 7 AM.  Schedule here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/NAPOLI SORRENTO L1.pdf

Traveling along the coast by car in July is not a reasonable alternative, whether you drive yourself or hire a car service.  The Amalfi Coast has been a popular place for a long time but in recent years there has been a surge of visitors that the one-lane-in-each-direction road simply cannot handle.  

LOL Euro.  I could have sworn that ferry schedule said 9:35 yesterday but it sure does say 8:35 now :).   I guess they could use a combination of both of our posts and use the Salerno route to get to Positano in the morning and try and make the noon ferry over to Sorrento.  But that sure would not leave them much time in Positano.

I do agree with Euro that this kind of trip is not something we would recommend.  And with teens I am wondering if they would enjoy having pizza in Naples more than schlepping to the Amalfi Coast.  Perhaps a visit to either Herculaneum or Pompeii followed by some time in Naples might be a good idea.

Hank 

We rate a Naples port-of-call highly, because there are so many places to see.

But we also rate it low, because you can't do it all in a port-of-call visit.

So best to save some sights for future port-of-call visits.

Or spend up to a week pre or post-cruise.

Or as a separate vacation - and if Naples is more than a 2 to 3 hour flight from home , extend that vacation by including with the Naples area a couple of other centres (Rome and Florence?) or as part of a road-trip. 

Euro cruiser & mapleleaves:

Norwegian Jade will dock in Naples on July 26th, from 8:00 to 17:00 (actually 9 hours).  Given that I have one more hour than originally thought, maybe the trip up Vesuvio looks like a winner.

We were in Naples once, and walked the city and did the Blue Grotto and trip to Capri, that's the reason we are looking to do something different.

Thanks for your input !!!

Edited by tikruizer

58 minutes ago, tikruizer said:

Euro cruiser & mapleleaves:

Norwegian Jade will dock in Naples on July 26th, from 8:00 to 17:00 (actually 9 hours).  Given that I have one more hour than originally thought, maybe the trip up Vesuvio looks like a winner.

We were in Naples once, and walked the city and did the Blue Grotto and trip to Capri, that's the reason we are looking to do something different.

Thanks for your input !!!

I meant Norwegian Pearl 

1 hour ago, tikruizer said:

Okay, my advice for this is to make your decision based on the weather.  If Vesuvio looks clear in the morning I'd head there first, if it doesn't I'd go to Herculeneum first and hope the fog or clouds burn off as the day progresses.

Even if you decide to leave Vesuvio until the afternoon I would stop by the Vesuvio Express office in the morning (it's right there where you get off the train so it's not out of the way) and find out what time the afternoon runs will be and, most importantly, what time each one returns so you can back into the last run you could take and still make it back to the ship safely.

14 hours ago, John Bull said:

Or as a separate vacation - and if Naples is more than a 2 to 3 hour flight from home , extend that vacation by including with the Naples area a couple of other centres (Rome and Florence?) or as part of a road-trip. 

That is a terrific analysis and we agree.  In fact, DW and I had recently discussed that having been to Naples at least 20 times (we truly have no idea of the exact count) on cruises and driven past on several extended land driving trips we have never gone to the nearby island of Procida.   Another place missed by many is the town of Caserta which is easily accessed by train from Naples.  We had been to Naples many times before we even heard about Caserta (thanks to Euro-Cruiser right here on CC) and that place turned out to be a fantastic day trip.

Hank

19 hours ago, John Bull said:

I have been to Naples possibly 5 times but still have not done the Amalfi Coast.  You cannot do it all.  It is a pity that the last Med Cruise I was on, I had arranged this trip and we could not get to Naples due to bad weather.  It was replaced by half a day in Civitavecchia 😆😆

I had a wonderful day with my son on Procida.   There is a small bus that leaves from the dock and tours the island.  You can get off and have lunch in a few villages.

You are so right.  Naples has lots of possibilities for touring on our own.  Train, Circumvesuvia, and ferryies are all within walking distance. Plus car rentals.  We have used Sorrento as a base on a few land trips.

• Like 1