Oosterdam Very Casual Dress Observation

Djptcp

DH and I recently sailed on a 7-day Oosterdam Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Last time we sailed on HAL was on the 10-day Zuiderdam Panama Canal itinerary in Nov. 2016. I was amazed at how passengers were so much more casually dressed on the O than on the Z or on previous HAL cruises. Not making a judgement comment at all, just an observation. We brought more casual clothes ourselves than usual and I worried we would feel out of place. Not at all. We live in FL, so drive to the ports and not a question of having to bring extra clothes on planes. Many people changed back into shorts after dinner, too, when in the past most dressed up for dinner and stayed that way after dinner. DH was turned away at dinner because he had on shorts, but he just returned to our NS and changed into long pants. We started cruising in 1994 and dressed to the nines on gala nights and DH wore coat and tie for other dinners. This was our 48th cruise overall, 8th on HAL, and it has been interesting to observe how the times have changed in regard to dress. We sail mostly on Carnival and the same is true on those cruises, too. We don't mind it a bit!

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It has definitely become less formal than when we started cruising in 2008

My first cruise was in 1970.  Yes, there has been a major change from those times of cruising.

Is cruising still as pleasurable now as it was then?:classic_biggrin:  The beauty of the sea and the magnificence of the night sky have not changed!

• Like 2

HAL has loosened up the dress code for Formal Nights (now called GALA NIGHTS) and the passengers have reacted accordingly.  I think this happened about 2-3 years ago, but it does take some time for the message to filter down to all the passengers.

I like the idea, as long as HAL enforces the minimum standard.  If not, it will get out of hand (seen this situation too many times).

• Like 1

Even before HAL dropped the formal nights and started calling them Gala Nights, we noticed that many people were not dressing up any more.  This was way back in 2013 on a 21 day repositioning -- a cruise we had done several times before.  We used to see many tuxedos -- DH felt out of place.

Times have changed.

31 minutes ago, ThePenguin1 said:

A 7 day Caribbean cruise would also attract a very different clientele compared to a Panama cruise.

True, but I've done both of these itineraries and dressed the same for both.  I tend to pack for formal/gala nights with either black dress pants/lacy jackets---sometimes they sparkle---or long gowns.  I stay dressed up until I retire to my cabin for the night.  I enjoy dressing up because I have no opportunity to do so at home anymore.  I don't condemn those who chose to dress less formally, as I think it's great the cruise lines now accommodate all tastes.  Having said that, let me add that I don't expect to see shorts in the MDR any time in the evening, whether it's formal or casual dress.  Sorry if I offend anyone.  Just my opinion.