Koningsdam Question

barb-ottawa

Sailing on the Koningsdam in March - first time on this class of ship. On other HAL ships, we have enjoyed the lounge chairs on the Promenade decks looking out over the ocean. I understand this is not available on the Koningsdam. Where can one enjoy the ocean and relative quiet on a lounge chair in the shade on this ship (we do not have a verandah)?

I sailed on the Kdam on the Iberian Adventure in September.   If you climb the stairs from the Aft pool and go up a level or two there is shade from the sun right up against the wall of the ship at least part of the day.   I recall at the very back of the ship there is an elevator with handicap access with a small door to access that area (top floor).   If you dine in the Tamarind you can look out into that area.  I found it because the pool area was quite busy.   You will probably need to haul your towels up from the pool deck.   

22 hours ago, barb-ottawa said:

we have enjoyed the lounge chairs on the Promenade decks looking out over the ocean.

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

If you climb the stairs from the Aft pool and go up a level or two there is shade from the sun right up against the wall of the ship at least part of the day. 

While it is possible to find some shady spots on high decks, you sure don't get the nice ocean views from there that you do on real Promenades! 

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

While it is possible to find some shady spots on high decks, you sure don't get the nice ocean views from there that you do on real Promenades! 

Agree 100%.  If only these two P-class ships had a lovely Promenade, they would be perfect.  How I miss sitting on the Promenade Deck on these two ships.

• Like 1

I was just on this ship late January into February.  The lido pool has an up stair deck where there are lounge chars that face the sea and are totally shaded.  You might enjoy this in lieu of the lack of deck chairs on the Promenade.

• Like 2

Sadly I for one will not ever be cruising on the KDam, or the new NS due to no steamer chairs on the narrow Prom decks - 

Seems Cunard's new 4th ship due 2022 could may well suffer the same plight as she is based on the NS but will be larger at 113500 tonnes...
So unless Cunard radically change the design of deck 3's Prom deck width then the howls of indignation will be very loud from the Cunard faithful...
The issue has already been raised at a high level with Cunard but we shall have to wait and see --- #Promgate

14 hours ago, MARLEY225 said:

I was just on this ship late January into February.  The lido pool has an up stair deck where there are lounge chars that face the sea and are totally shaded.  You might enjoy this in lieu of the lack of deck chairs on the Promenade.

But you are inside.  Not the same feeling to me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MARLEY225 said:

Is this outside?

46 minutes ago, barb-ottawa said:

Is this outside?

No. It's the the center pool area. The roof does open, and on my cruise (possibly the same one Marley225 was on), they opened it most of the time. So there's some fresh air, but you look out through windows. It feels more like inside than outside.

We are just off the Koningsdam.  There are lots of loungers, many more than on the smaller ships, but none are shaded by overhangs.  The best you can hope for is to get some shade from the superstructure, but except in the early morning and late afternoon that means putting the lounger right back close to the wall,  so you view will be sky not sea.

There is one expensive possibility - rent one of the cabanas and enjoy a shady tent and butler service.

After all the complaints, you would think they could 'tent' one of the several sun(burn) decks.

20 hours ago, MARLEY225 said:

Nope.  Not the same.  I used that area on K and NS, but it didn't satisfy the hankering for a real Promenade.