What is Celebrity like and Silhouette

harryspotter

Just make sure you book a mid ships cabin, as you will be sailing through the Bay of Biscay for 2.5 days en route to the Mediterranean. That way you will experience less movement. Don’t choose a cabin in the bow of the ship, or on a high deck.

I have sailed on Crown Princess ( same class as the Saphire Princess) and our next cruise we reverted back to Celebrity. We found the self service restaurant very restrictive on Crown.

We were denied entry into St Petersburg last year on Silhouette, due, we were told, to the ship being too large in the windy conditions for the narrow channel.

However, we were also denied entry into Genoa, due to ‘operational reasons’ whatever that means, on Crown. Weather happens.

Edited by upwarduk

The U.S. for these comments, really useful. Out first cruise last year was on oceania and we really enjoyed it. I did feel the motion of the ocean one night after entertainment,  really funny all stood at the elevator and swaying, makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Seems like there isn't much difference between celeb and princess.

Is the Reflection really an inferior ship compared to the Silhouette for crowds? I appreciate it has a larger capacity, and it would seem from a few posts on this thread you really do notice it.

Still, I am used to NCL and MSC and I have been told that any X ship is far less crowded than either of those - so even if Reflection is the 'most' crowded X ship, it should still 'feel' less crowded than an MSC or NCL ship?

P.S - Celebrity pricing was far, far superior to that of MSC and NCL for the price and itinerary concerned - which I was surprised at, due to the perceived higher quality of Celebrity's offering.

We were also on the same TA as Jim and cangelmd and I would agree that it was the roughest cruise we have ever been on.  However, Silhouette handled it fine.  Silhouette is also our favorite Celebrity ship.  We love the Lawn Club grill and the ship is lovely.

We haven't been on Princess for 20 years but we enjoyed it then.  I don't know what their smoking policy is now, but Celebrity does not allow smoking indoors.

32 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

P.S - Celebrity pricing was far, far superior to that of MSC and NCL for the price and itinerary concerned - which I was surprised at, due to the perceived higher quality of Celebrity's offering.

Your X sailing is obviously not on the Edge 🤣.

6 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Is the Reflection really an inferior ship compared to the Silhouette for crowds? I appreciate it has a larger capacity, and it would seem from a few posts on this thread you really do notice it.

Still, I am used to NCL and MSC and I have been told that any X ship is far less crowded than either of those - so even if Reflection is the 'most' crowded X ship, it should still 'feel' less crowded than an MSC or NCL ship?

I have read some of those reviews of Reflection, but honestly, we didn't find it ever felt more crowded than any of the other S-class ships. I know it carries more passengers but it also has another deck. We really liked the fact that on Reflection the OVC is on the same deck as the pool unlike the others where the OVC is up one deck. We wouldn't hesitate to book Reflection again, and in fact we have an upcoming cruise scheduled on her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I have read some of those reviews of Reflection, but honestly, we didn't find it ever felt more crowded than any of the other S-class ships. I know it carries more passengers but it also has another deck. We really liked the fact that on Reflection the OVC is on the same deck as the pool unlike the others where the OVC is up one deck. We wouldn't hesitate to book Reflection again, and in fact we have an upcoming cruise scheduled on her.

We definitely felt the crowding on our European itinerary in the peak season on Reflection, so much so that it swayed us to consider, and actually book, an alternative cruise line for the following year.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

We definitely felt the crowding on our European itinerary in the peak season on Reflection, so much so that it swayed us to consider, and actually book, an alternative cruise line for the following year.

Eek. Is April in the Caribbean peak season too?

5 hours ago, villauk said:

Choices are wonderful. We sailed Reflection in the Caribbean in December to the  ABC islands and are sailing her next year again in the Caribbean in March. The ship sailed full in December  and the only time we felt any crowding was because of a delayed embarkation in the terminal prior to boarding since everyone arrived at once. Once on the ship however things evened out nicely and we had no issues.

Edited by Luvcrusn