Bliss / Live / Solo - March 2-9, 2019 ​

EganFire

This will be my first attempt at a live review. I have enjoyed reading them from others before and I believe they can be very helpful.

For this cruise I am traveling Solo. (I like saying “Solo”, it makes me feel like I am in a Star Wars movie)

This will be my second trip on the Bliss. My first was in Alaska last summer (some pictures below), and I love this ship. I have been starting to cruise solo.  The solo studio rooms are designed well. The only thing I am missing with the studio room category, is the option for a balcony. Maybe in future ship designs they will figure out a way to offer that option as well for studio rooms. Or at the very least an indoor/outdoor lounge for the solo travelers.

On my first trip on the Bliss, I did not have a good opportunity to experience the warm weather items that are available. Such as pools, sun decks, slides, etc… The cold Alaska weather was not permitting it especially for a Florida transplant like me (and most people on the ship also did not participate)

For this Bliss trip, my packing list is very different than my previous one. Less sweaters, and more shorts.

Working on my packing list, and my “to do before I leave” list now.

IMG_3020.JPG.f279036e43fd36f85d4f76d57be6bd5c.JPG
(Picture of the Bliss from my cruise in Alaska)
IMG_3368.jpg.52c79c29a88e7eeac8757f916b079eb3.jpg

• Like 3

Here is my TO DO list so far: 

TO DO Before leaving: 

• Pack (obviously)
    • Make packing list.... 
  • Stop the US mail delivery to prevent an exploding mailbox from the tons of junk mail (and bills) that are sent to me.
  • Fuel the truck, clean her out - a clean truck makes a better road trip
  • Schedule a last-minute haircut
  • Turn off the water heater when I leave
  • Turn AC off when I leave (sorry my Northern friends - Yes I have the AC on)
  • Set light timers to random times
  • Make notes (and maps) for ports and list items I would like to see and do
    • Also for the night in Miami beforehand

My Friday plan is as follows:  (more on this soon) 

Drive from Orlando to Miami on Friday (the day before we cruise).  The drive will be around 3 hours and 30 minutes. Stay in a hotel and enjoy a little of the area for a night.IMG_F6311130DEDF-1.thumb.jpeg.feefac9e1caaeaad29a5920b5b162951.jpeg

• Like 1

I booked a hotel that offers discounted parking for cruise passengers at half the rate compared to the port. Hampton Inn and Suites Miami Midtown. It is also in the Wynwood area of Miami, and I found several things in that area I would like to visit. 

IMG_5773.jpg.ef110fd8dbd6e524918aa2bdd1db6365.jpg

I enjoy visiting breweries, and I found a couple in the Wynwood area that I am very interested in going to see. One of them is the brewery that makes several specialty beers for Disney World, including a beer for the upcoming Star Wars Land. The brewery is called Concrete Beach Brewery, and it is located on NW 24th Street. 

IMG_5767.jpg.08c5339bd83f8b45d22217d51d1f4463.jpgIMG_5763.jpg.bab47a157c4c49ec6655421545366320.jpg

My friends have made other brewery recommendations for the area, and I will try to see how many I can visit once in Miami for my night before the cruise.  I am sure I have enough choices in the area to keep me occupied for one night before the cruise. 

Edited by EganFire

The cruise Itinerary: 7 day Eastern Caribbean 

Day 1: Miami

Day 2 & 3: Sea Days

Day 4: Tortola

Day 5: St Thomas

Day 6: Sea Day

Day 7: Nassau

Day 8: return and be sad it's over - but start planning for the next one

My cabin selection:

I booked a studio on deck 10 - near the room I previously stayed in. I liked deck 10 as its closer to the lower deck activities later at night. This usually is good for post evening activities - a shorter walk (or crawl/stumble) back to the room.  The studios are only available on 10, 11, and 12

It's not that much of a difference for 2 decks either way, but after climbing stairs for a week-long cruise, I found deck 10 to be much nicer to reach later after a night on the feet than deck 12. 

I pre-purchased a 5 meal dining plan:

I already booked meals in Cagneys, Los Lobos, Tappanyaki (x2), and La Cucina. I did not get to try La Cucina on my Alaska summer cruise on the Bliss, but loved Tappanyaki so that is why I booked it twice this time. 

Going into a specialty restaurant Solo is always interesting.  This was my biggest concern my first time cruising solo... and my concerns were absolutely met every time I ate solo. 

I get some looks from some people as I sit at a table alone…  Guests and servers.... All really do look over and I have seen some "discussing" it.... 

It is hard to tell if people are jealous that I have some alone time, or if they just think I really pissed off my significant other and they are avoiding me, leaving me to eat alone for the night. Either way, I just smile and make them wonder.  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, txhomeschoolmom said:

Following!!

Excellent start... Love your writing style and can't wait to follow your amazing journey on the Bliss 🤗 

Thank you. I hope to keep you entertained and informed... 

My Wi-Fi plan: 

I pre-purchased the unlimited Wi-Fi plan in part to attempt to do this live review, but also to keep tabs on a few work items to reduce the number of emails awaiting me on my return. The price for the Wi-Fi seems high, and I usually prefer to disconnect from the world. However, in an attempt to give a great live review I will pay the expense at least this one time.... 

So I set myself some Wi-Fi rules…. first, work emails can only take less than a total of 20 minutes maximum a day. 

I have some reports to write, and items to read, but those can occur offline.... with a drink in hand and out in the sun preferably.  Those times will not count for my 20 minutes.... These would have occurred with or without Wi-Fi... 

I will, however, come on here to view my ships roll call to see if anyone posts, adds or changes any of the events already set that I plan to attend. (Meet and Mingle, and the dice game....) 

I will also get on the Wi-Fi as I hope to post a random picture here and there (probably of food, drink, or unique items found on the ship or while in port).....

Vacation fun comes first, but on some downtime, I can catch up with posts and replies. THAT being said, if you have a question and I can help I will... After all, this is supposed to be helpful & entertaining. 

Edited by EganFire
  • Like 1

My port plans: 

I will post more about each day in port as we are there. For now, I wanted to share the plan as it is now. 

St Thomas: 

After reading a live post by @sid_9169 I changed my St Thomas plans. I am going to follow what he did. I plan to take a cab, to a ferry to St John, to a cab, to a beach. This beach sounds amazing from his post, and I looked up pictures on Google and I cannot wait to visit this beach. 

I also found a brewery, and if time permits I will visit that before returning to the ship. 

Tortola:

I decided to book an excursion and chose the Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel trip. I have been told the Baths are a must see, and I like to snorkel so this one seems to be a good fit for me.  

I did NOT find a brewery yet, maybe I should move there and open one... 

Nassau:

I usually stay on the ship, as once you visit Nassau, well, you have seen it. This time I decided to book an excursion and wanted to do something I have never really done. I chose to book a small boat deep sea fishing charter. I have no idea what we will catch, but I will enjoy the small boat, waves, salty air, and sun.

I also found a brewery that I would like to check out, and I should have time after the fishing charter. 

So, I hope you all are ready for a week of pictures of beers, drinks, food, events, the ship, the ports, and random thoughts and opinions from me. This is my first attempt at one of these, so I will try to be a mix of informative and fun. 

I work in a high-stress career and I have found cruising to be a great escape from work, life, and drama.  I have already worked my last day before vacation... and now my brain is already on the ship, I just need to get the body caught up to it. 

I am really looking forward to this trip and trying to figure out what my next adventure will be. I have considered seeing if I can swing the Panama Canal for the Bliss coming up, or going elsewhere and seeing another ship in the NCL fleet. So far I have really enjoyed NCL. 

I do plan to attend some of the solo meetings organized by NCL. I recently found out that a singles cruise company will also be on this trip, so I do not know if that will harm the attendance at the NCL solo events, or help it. I guess time will tell. 

Now I must go and start the TO DO list.... I am sure I will post along the way

• Like 4

Hi,

I'm traveling solo on the Bliss in May to Alaska. I was able to snag a special on a balcony room. Whoo hoo. Look forward to hearing about the ship and your journey.  I've been to Alaska on Princess but this will be my first time on NCL and going solo. Love Alaska !!

Enjoy your trip...

I envy your easy access to the ports...

However, after living in both Tallahassee & Orlando - I don't have any urge to return to the area. 

We are thinking about Winter Homes - Love living in Alaska, but the snow, cold & minimal daylight gets old...

Possibly Tampa/St. Pete - more likely Arizona, New Mexico or Nevada

In the meantime - we will cruise when we can & live vicariously through others reviews...

1 hour ago, NCGAL1971 said:

Hi,

I'm traveling solo on the Bliss in May to Alaska. I was able to snag a special on a balcony room. Whoo hoo. Look forward to hearing about the ship and your journey.  I've been to Alaska on Princess but this will be my first time on NCL and going solo. Love Alaska !!

Alaska is beautiful on ANY shift, but extra nice on Bliss. She was designed for Alaska with the large windows in several public areas (for those without a balcony or window).   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

Enjoy your trip...

I envy your easy access to the ports...

However, after living in both Tallahassee & Orlando - I don't have any urge to return to the area. 

We are thinking about Winter Homes - Love living in Alaska, but the snow, cold & minimal daylight gets old...

Possibly Tampa/St. Pete - more likely Arizona, New Mexico or Nevada

In the meantime - we will cruise when we can & live vicariously through others reviews...

Orlando traffic is getting crazy. The amount of growth and building is unbelievable. I am here for at least 5 more years, but then.... we shall see. PNW is on the top as of now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EganFire said:

My port plans: 

I will post more about each day in port as we are there. For now, I wanted to share the plan as it is now. 

St Thomas: 

After reading a live post by @sid_9169 I changed my St Thomas plans. I am going to follow what he did. I plan to take a cab, to a ferry to St John, to a cab, to a beach. This beach sounds amazing from his post, and I looked up pictures on Google and I cannot wait to visit this beach. 

I also found a brewery, and if time permits I will visit that before returning to the ship. 

Tortola:

I decided to book an excursion and chose the Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel trip. I have been told the Baths are a must see, and I like to snorkel so this one seems to be a good fit for me.  

I did NOT find a brewery yet, maybe I should move there and open one... 

Nassau:

I usually stay on the ship, as once you visit Nassau, well, you have seen it. This time I decided to book an excursion and wanted to do something I have never really done. I chose to book a small boat deep sea fishing charter. I have no idea what we will catch, but I will enjoy the small boat, waves, salty air, and sun.

I also found a brewery that I would like to check out, and I should have time after the fishing charter. 

Trunk Bay is absolutely stunning... Be sure to walk up the hill to the overlook... Also, I'm going to have to charge you a $10 royalty fee for stealing my title configuration...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm going to have to charge you a $10 royalty fee for stealing my title configuration...

Sid, I will gladly pay that and more with drinks in a port some day.

Everyone else. If you have not viewed SIds reviews they are amazing and the inspiration for my attempt at this live review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Working on the To-Do list… I have the truck ready for her trip South of Friday.

Truck:
Fluids - not leaking and present
Clean - outside (although with the pollen falling as fast as it is it will be covered by tomorrow)
Inside - removed junk I should have weeks ago, but now she is all clean in and out
7625f5be64ca9382a5a28f7ff523b097.jpg
b795fe6d6302e8554323f973568337c2.jpg

USPS - contacted and completed a hold mail form… now my mailbox will not fall apart from over load while I am not here to empty it.

Haircut - appointment made for Friday morning

Now to make maps and notes for the ports (and Miami) and work on the packing list.

• Like 1

Working on a list of clothes I will need. Like I said previously I think this cruise will call for more shorts than my last cruise in Alaska.

cb9f56de8cc18b984984c5621ffab9f9.jpg

Looking at the current temperatures and the long range forecasts are confirming this belief. Luckily I have plenty of shorts to bring.

So creating the packing list continues.

• Like 1

Looking forward to following.  Sailing at the end of April up the Pacific Coast.  Would love to see a list of the draft and bottled beers in the District Brew House,  Thanks in advance!

I will gladly provide those. However if they keep to their word that will be different on your cruise. When I sailed Bliss in Alaska the bartenders said they stock it with local beers in accordance to where they are currently sailing. We had plenty of PNW and Alaska beers.

f013ffc3a8c384d09e13676a6073da0a.jpg

But once on board I will make sure to find that out for you and share what is current.

I will be onboard with you.

just got off a plane for last minute work travel so it set me back a little on my pre cruise prep.

I think I am close to being ready oh and just got my haircut. 👍 I hope the wife and kid have there stuff ready.

i will also be in Miami on Friday we’re at the Hilton Miami downtown been there before nice hotel and close to the downtown festivities.

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Trunk Bay is absolutely stunning... Be sure to walk up the hill to the overlook... Also, I'm going to have to charge you a $10 royalty fee for stealing my title configuration...

You go Sid!! A little competition is always fun.  Love it. 

Egan Fire, awesome start... Love  yours too. Cheers 

• Like 1