Food allergies on Silhouette

glenneagle

14 minutes ago, Fishkillbill said:

When you remove your buffet dishes from the table, where do you put them?

There are dirty dish stands scattered through the buffet area. It is where the crew pile them until the carts come to collect

9 hours ago, sippican said:

IMHO, and based on personal experience, not a dang thing, lol

I have celiac disease, and I can honestly say, X has always taken very good care of me.  I am a little concerned about the new lack of labeling in the buffet.  While I will get ill, my allergy is not life threatening.  I can't believe that they would change the labeling considering a few years ago, they touted the allergy awareness program all of the kitchen staff and servers were required to go through.  It doesn't make sense.  So aggravating.  

Geesh! My heart goes out to everyone who has allergies, celiac or any other reasons that they must be careful with what they eat. I can't even  begin to imagine the aggravation y'all have to deal with. I'm very surprised that Celebrity seems to be making it harder by not labeling the food anymore. My only allergy is to abalone which I found out when we lived in California. I can eat any other seafood which seems strange to me. Since abalone isn't a common food I have never even thought about it since I first found out. I really hope Celebrity gets it's act together and makes it easier for y'all to get meals that are appropriate for you. They should also be tasty. Best of luck to everyone, be safe and and happy cruising.

While I accept and understand that it only matters on the ship one is sailing at the time of the need, how many other ships in X's fleet are following suit in terms of not labeling dishes in OVC as the OP experienced?

As well, on the other ships how often is it that passengers cannot find the appropriate staff in OVC to assist even though it can be a hassle to do so?

Not being sure about ones food on a sailing is a fast route to ruination of the vacation for sure...

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

While I accept and understand that it only matters on the ship one is sailing at the time of the need, how many other ships in X's fleet are following suit in terms of not labeling dishes in OVC as the OP experienced?

As well, on the other ships how often is it that passengers cannot find the appropriate staff in OVC to assist even though it can be a hassle to do so?

Not being sure about ones food on a sailing is a fast route to ruination of the vacation for sure...

On each Celebrity ship we have cruised on so far (Mille 2017, Eclipse 2018 and Equinox 2019) almost all of the food in the OVC have been labeled. I can count on one hand the number of times an item was missing a label. The OP mentions labels with ingredients. The labels I’ve seen simply indicate if something is gluten free, vegetarian, etc. I have never seen labels with lists of ingredients.

While on Equinox last month there was a dessert in the gluten free section one day that was unlabeled. It had a crust that appeared to be made of gluten. My wife spoke with the OVC head chef and he had the pastry chef who made it come up and describe how it is made.

43 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

On each Celebrity ship we have cruised on so far (Mille 2017, Eclipse 2018 and Equinox 2019) almost all of the food in the OVC have been labeled. I can count on one hand the number of times an item was missing a label. The OP mentions labels with ingredients. The labels I’ve seen simply indicate if something is gluten free, vegetarian, etc. I have never seen labels with lists of ingredients.

While on Equinox last month there was a dessert in the gluten free section one day that was unlabeled. It had a crust that appeared to be made of gluten. My wife spoke with the OVC head chef and he had the pastry chef who made it come up and describe how it is made.

I thank you for sharing your experience, to be sure.

My experience has dictated that 85%+ of the items were labeled as you cited.

Being a vegan, I always ask about items which are labeled 'vegetarian' as in some parts of the world, vegetarian means vegan, yet here in the US it does not.

I have always asked the Manager or Assistant Manger of OVC about which items are in fact vegan, they have been very responsive to (my) dietary request. So much so, that there were times, special meals were prepared for me a la minute and I was very pleased... and this applies to every X ship I have sailed.

Have I been served a few non-vegan items, I Am sure, yet for me not life threatening so not a real issue. My point being, those of us with dietary requirements, need to speak up and make sure as much as possible that they are considered during our sailing, especially those who have life threatening situations to try and prevent a mess up, which can happen and not intentionally, usually.

• Like 1