Australia & New Zealand

Frenchberet

Hi, we are looking at Australia & New Zealand for our next Viking Cruise. Would like to know if anyone had very good or bad experiences with the optional excursions.  

We are interested in doing a private Lord of the Rings tour in Christchurch. Any recommendations for a tour company? It doesn’t look like there are any overnight stays (except Sidney), is there sufficient time in port?  

Appreciate any info you can share. Thanks! 😊

I'll mention a few things just as an FYI....we did not go on Lord of the Rings, but just a reminder that a condition of making the film there was to return everything to the way it was prior to the filming.  People who go expecting to see what they see in the movie are disappointed.  

Dunedin...the wildlife boat was fantastic.  Our favorite thing on the cruise, so it was worth it.  Also in Napier I enjoyed the sheep ranch tour.  It included some sight seeing, a honey place, and the sheep ranch. It wasn't amazing...but I think a solid excursion.  

• Thanks 1

I'm starting to look at this one cruise, as well, but not not until 2021 or 2022.  Anything that folks who have done this cruise have to share would be appreciated. I'm also starting to build what will become a day-by-day vis-a-vis excursion etc. report for this that .. when I'm done .. will be posted in my DropBox and then updated after we actually book it.:classic_dry:

On 3/3/2019 at 7:44 PM, Pushka said:

There is a thread about the excursions here on CC. It should be on this page or the next one. Mostly not great experiences it seems. 

Pushka is right but I would read and follow any thread that has to do with Aus/NZ cruises because you never know where a helpful comment will pop up. Also, check out all of the roll calls for this itinerary:

Live from Orion - Auckland to Bali - Crossing Tasman Sea

Live from the Orion - Sydney to Auckland - 2/10/19

Crossing the Tasman Sea

On Orion now

Australia - New Zealand Dec / Jan review

On Orion now ..

VIKING ORION DOWNUNDER