Explore 4 is Back

We have always booked directly through the cruise line, but thanks to CC am going to try a big box TA.  I can find the early booking bonus on the HA site, but not on the big box TA site.  Do I have to book it through HA then transfer it to the Big box TA or is it more likely that the promotion is simply delayed for a while before the TA's get it?

My TA's website advertises it, plus a bonus!  It is not technically a "big box" TA, but is a large travel agency that deals solely with cruises. 

Yes, you can book with HAL and then transfer your cruise, possibly for more perks.  I believe that the transfer has to be done within 60 days of initial booking.  At least that's the case with another cruiseline.

Edited by Iamthesea

19 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

According to this article, Michael Gardner is a Future Cruise Consultant.    

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/nieuw-amsterdam-gets-award-for-worlds-largest-cruise-sale-map/

:classic_sleep:Yes you are on the money, that is the Michael who took our original booking on the Koningsdam last year. He and his wife have a great job, cruising around the world and for a few hours a day making our dreams come true.

16 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes, you can book with HAL and then transfer your cruise, possibly for more perks.  I believe that the transfer has to be done within 60 days of initial booking.  At least that's the case with another cruiseline.

As of now, there is no such policy with Holland America.  You may transfer any time before final payment.

If your original booking is under a special fare, such a travel agency "open/promo" group fare, the agent will need to do a cancel/rebook and have HAL issue a new booking #.  Monies paid toward the cruise fare will automatically transfer.  This is a fairly simple process - HOWEVER - if you have already purchased air or excursions, specialty dining, etc it becomes a problem.  In a situation like this I ALWAYS advise the client that any pre-booked items will cancel and a refund will be sent to their CC.  In the case of air - if fares are still the same then I just let the original res cancel and then re-book air once cruise fare changed.  If air has gone up there is a way to protect it, but it's MUCH more involved (have to get air dept involved).  Also if the customer has paid for any special seating, etc with the airline they will lose that if air is rebooked.

I think this is why MANY agents don't like to deal with cancel/rebooks unless absolutely necessary.  It can get quite messy unless you CLEARLY communicate with the client and think through all the "what-ifs".