Warning, Careful if you use Paypal on Princess from Uk

sha1955

I have now spent 24 hours trying to solve a Paypal Princess overpayment, still unresolved.

I had to pay for an excursion for me and my husband, $84.95 each total $169,90

Clicked pay by paypal. Nothing happens, Next thing I know they have taken $569.90, an extra $400!

Apparently my excursion was $84.95, my husbands was $484.95!

I have had to speak at length to Princess and Paypal, each blaming each other.

Princess said they would issue a refund but I had to wait 10-15 days,

This  is outrageous as it was an unsolicited payment taken in error.

I now see a pending refund on paypal for my excursion $84.95 but not the full amount.

It is a continuing nightmare

UK customers 

DO NOT CHECK OUT PAYPAL

I have lost confidence in Princess and will be using my trusty Amex in future!

Lesson learned.  I don't know about the UK, but in the US and generally, serious protections exist for using a credit card.

Those protections are non-existant for other forms of payment.

Stick with your AMEX (or VISA, MC, etc).

10 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Lesson learned.  I don't know about the UK, but in the US and generally, serious protections exist for using a credit card.

Those protections are non-existant for other forms of payment.

Stick with your AMEX (or VISA, MC, etc).

I have my PayPal account linked to my AMEX.  I never permit direct deductions from my bank account.  If I have a PayPal problem, I still have AMEX protecting me.

We used PayPal to put down deposits for the $1 sale a few weeks ago.  We had a couple of glitches and I wasn't sure if we had booked the cruise or not.  Called Princess and found out no booking had been made - fixed that with the rep right away.

We use PayPal all the time with no problems.  The Princess website is generally quite good but as an ex IT guy, I can see that there are constant changes required as part of normal ops.  IT change control is a very complex topic and it is impossible to have a zero error rate while also giving up to date and prompt service.

In your case, it looks like a finger problem, like some kind of a misprice in the excursion.  Hope Princess makes good quickly.

Thank you all. After 24 hours of  worry they have  now issued a pending refund!

I have lost all confidence with Princess and the only member of their team who actually understood and helped was Katie in the UK!

13 minutes ago, sha1955 said:

Thank you all. After 24 hours of  worry they have  now issued a pending refund!

I have lost all confidence with Princess and the only member of their team who actually understood and helped was Katie in the UK!

There is another way of looking at this.  You were the victim of a software bug.  These things do happen and always will happen to all of us from time to time.  Princess made good in a reasonable amount of time.  

11 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

There is another way of looking at this.  You were the victim of a software bug.  These things do happen and always will happen to all of us from time to time.  Princess made good in a reasonable amount of time.  

Indeed, but this was due to them adding $400 on board credit to the transaction by mistake! Plus, I have had to listen to utter nonsense from most of the customer service team for 24 hours. I have been told, amongst many other inaccuracies

1 You typed in the wrong number ( I did not have the opportunity)

2 You must cancel ALL your excursions and re book ( They have been booked for 6 months)

So a good point, but the demons of the IT world are not to blame this time.

5 hours ago, sha1955 said:

Indeed, but this was due to them adding $400 on board credit to the transaction by mistake! Plus, I have had to listen to utter nonsense from most of the customer service team for 24 hours. I have been told, amongst many other inaccuracies

1 You typed in the wrong number ( I did not have the opportunity)

2 You must cancel ALL your excursions and re book ( They have been booked for 6 months)

So a good point, but the demons of the IT world are not to blame this time.

Yes, people have a hard time saying "I don't know" and sometimes make up stuff which usually only makes things worse.  We had another term for a "finger" problem, by the way.  In private we would say, problem was between chair and keyboard.

Had the same problem from the US.   Added additional excursion herb I already had one booked and fully paid thru PayPal.  They took the cost of all excursions again!  The amount that came up on PayPal was 119 when processing.  They actually took over 400.    I cancelled all excursions in order to get the money back.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, mina said:

Had the same problem from the US.   Added additional excursion herb I already had one booked and fully paid thru PayPal.  They took the cost of all excursions again!  The amount that came up on PayPal was 119 when processing.  They actually took over 400.    I cancelled all excursions in order to get the money back.  

Interesting. Definitely an issue with paypal and taking money for past excursion bookings already paid by on board credit. Princess need to acknowledge this error on their system. I had to wait 10 days and battle to get my refund. I have lost faith in the booking system.