Weather in Alaska

Mackdogmolly

After a particularly brutal New England winter, I have booked an early July Alaska cruise (am I crazy?). We’ve never been there and are wondering what to expect in terms of the weather (temps, rain, etc). Have no idea what to pack. I know that Azamara has never sailed here, but do they usually have White Night on deck in cooler climes?

Pack layers! It doesn't appear that our itinerary goes by a glacier 😞 where it is typically very cold.  We have had it 80 and sunny in Juneau, DH was happy he had shorts.  

I always have a hat, scarf, gloves..weather can really vary so be prepared for cold, rain and possibly warm weather! Same with our day in Seattle, we've been there when it was in the 90s one day and rainy the next. I have never taken heavy duty rain boots (we walk but dont hike) and have not felt like I needed them.

Alaska is one of those cruises where sticking to airline weight limits is harder to do! 

I thought weather was nicer in Alaska than in Ireland.  We were there in June and temperatures ranged from mid 50s to mid 60s, but you never know and agree about packing in layers.  I wore shorts one day - maybe in Ketchikan.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:07 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

So it sounds more like spring like weather than summer and I imagine the evenings will be pretty cool/cold. May have been better off with an OV than a veranda! Would they have heaters on deck for White Night?

Not sure about Azamara, but on Celebrity, there was very little difference between pricing for an OV and veranda.

For Hubbard Glacier, a great place to be is your balcony/veranda.

I have been in June, July, and early August....Best most will tell you is layering.......1 pair of gloves, a hat, and rain gear. Good shoes for rain......We have had glorious weather, rain and cold rain....sometimes all of these on one trip...Just be prepared....You will LOVE Alaska