Life jackets for children, for pool use?

MissAppleBear

The type of PFD we use on our boat are not the same as those used at the family pool. Life jackets/vests  have specific uses - those on a cruise ship are designed to turn an unconscious body upright, not for recreational swimming. Best to visit a local swim shop and purchase a vest appropriate to your child's age and size.  What does your child use now? Using a familiar type of pool flotation makes more sense.

FYI, I was on a swim/dive with  rays tour recently and the only flotation offered were the orange flotation jackets, not dive vests or noodles. We were in 4-5 ft water and the crew of this tour offered a few weaker swimmers the orange vests - when they attempted to get back onto the boat, the current and vest pulled them toward the props, face up! 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Like 1

Thank you for your response! I was more specifically wondering about life jackets for recreational use in the pools (for children), not the life saving ones used for rescue. I had seen someone mention it before but cannot find the post again, that they may have some on board for kids to use in the pool.

I will pack our own if necessary. Would love some more feedback 😃

The last couple of cruises I’ve been on, there has been a small rack of vests for children by the pool, either near the mast bar or the other end of the pool area.  They are usually for rather small children.  While I would use one. I would still make sure an adult was in the water with the child.

We were on the Solstice last year and there was a stand of children’s pool floats adjacent to the main pool area.  On the Celebrity App for our upcoming Millennium cruise next week there is a note stating that children’s pool floats are provided on a complimentary basis and that they must not be taken from the ship on port days.  Hope you and your family enjoy your cruise.

• I .. being a 'baby boomer' always assumed that children are potty trained by the age of 3 . Some of this generation are not. So just a heads up in case . Swim diapers are not allowed and children must be fully trained
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:
  • I .. being a 'baby boomer' always assumed that children are potty trained by the age of 3 . Some of this generation are not. So just a heads up in case . Swim diapers are not allowed and children must be fully trained

Thank you 😃 Yes, one of our Potty training motivators was to be able to book a cruise and go in the pool. we are fully potty trained. Thanks for your info, I'm sure it can help other families that were not aware 😃

9 hours ago, woodsmiths said:

We were on the Solstice last year and there was a stand of children’s pool floats adjacent to the main pool area.  On the Celebrity App for our upcoming Millennium cruise next week there is a note stating that children’s pool floats are provided on a complimentary basis and that they must not be taken from the ship on port days.  Hope you and your family enjoy your cruise.

This is awesome! I will have to download the Celebrity app, I had no idea they would put info like that on there and it's super helpful!

Now Onto wondering if i should bring my own for going to the beach in Hawaii. We are going to Hilo, Kailua kona, Honolulu and Lahiana. (my spelling may be way off here) Does anyone know if there are beaches close to the ports that we could walk/shuttle or bus to?

There are beaches close to ports but most will require a taxi with the exception of Lahina where there are some swimming places withing walking distance.

While in Hawaii I usually rent a car for each port and tour at out leisure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissAppleBear said:

Now Onto wondering if i should bring my own for going to the beach in Hawaii. We are going to Hilo, Kailua kona, Honolulu and Lahiana. (my spelling may be way off here) Does anyone know if there are beaches close to the ports that we could walk/shuttle or bus to?

We did the Hawaii cruise on the Solstice last April with our toddler! We brought our own life jacket for the beaches.

In Lahaina, we went to Baby Beach and Lahaina Beach. You can get directions on Google Maps. I suggest Baby Beach because it is  very shallow and no waves. It was about a 15-20 min walk, so I suggest you bring your stroller! There weren't any facilities on the beach. I think it was Lahaina Beach that we went to on the second day... it was rockier and lots of waves.

RE HI

We once spent 3 mos in Kona... Children's Beach is nice. Its a locals beach. 

BTW Many years ago we used to snorkel and feed the parrot fish peanut butter sandwiches. Don't know if you can still do that...

Found a link for you with information

https://www.to-hawaii.com/big-island/beaches/kamakahonubeach.php