Questions, first time in Cuba

lele100

We are going to Cuba for our first time,  I have been doing some research,  From what I have read, on the affidavit you can answer support the Cuban people and if Carnival gives you a hard time change it to people to people, and it won’t make a difference,  We are thinking of going with havanacar.net and their website says “We are OFAC compliant for providing US Citizens private tours and transfers all around Cuba Under the "Support to Cuban People" Visa Program.” So we are going to check the Support and see if that would be ok.

I have a couple questions, where do you get a map of Havana, if we want to walk around after the tour and at night?

Is it safe to walk around at night to go and have a few drinks?

I have read many people say that you have to make reservations for many dining places that were suggested.  How do you do that?  Do you call from the USA? Is it expensive to call Cuba?,  I don’t see online reservation options on the ones I looked at.

Thanks for your help

Edited by lele100

I can only assist on one of your questions as I have not been to Cuba yet (September 2019 tho).  I talked to a worker at a local cuban restaurant the other week and he told me that Cuba was very, very safe.  There's very little crime, no guns, etc.  With his recommendation, I'd feel safe going out and about in the evening.

I would be suspicious of any outfit that says “We are OFAC compliant for providing US Citizens private tours and transfers all around Cuba Under the "Support to Cuban People" Visa Program.”

There is no "Support for the Cuban People" visa program.  OFAC compliance and the "Support for the Cuban People" has absolutely nothing to do with your visa.  OFAC is part of the US government and the visa comes from the Cuban government.

They are either confused or assume that you are...

As to calling Cuba to make a reservation, internet is hit or miss in Cuba and many restaurants don't have a reliable online presence.  Calling is not that expensive.  On Verizon, the pay by the minute rate is $2.49.

Blexie tours which is ve4y popular tells people to mark support the local people. We did with our Oceania trip in Dec. and had no issues. You can mark anything you want and just walk off the ship and enjoy. Guides will not give you a receipt so nothing to keep for 5 years and nobody will follow you around all day to see where you went. Enjoy your trip and maybe just listen to people that have actually been there. Do not let your cruise line tell you you must book with them, that is just a scare tactic.

13 hours ago, rvmike said:

Blexie tours which is ve4y popular tells people to mark support the local people. We did with our Oceania trip in Dec. and had no issues. You can mark anything you want and just walk off the ship and enjoy. Guides will not give you a receipt so nothing to keep for 5 years and nobody will follow you around all day to see where you went. Enjoy your trip and maybe just listen to people that have actually been there. Do not let your cruise line tell you you must book with them, that is just a scare tactic.

Thank you,  Yes I was planning on doing my own tour with an outside tour company,  not with Carnival,  but I have read on here where people who have cruised with Carnival and checked support and Carnival would argue and had them change it to people to people, but never actually had them book an excursion with them.  So what I was originally saying is if it comes to that I will mark people to people to make Carnival happy and still take my tour with whomever I want, and hope that it works since havanacar, has that statement listed above on their website regarding support

1 hour ago, lele100 said:

Thank you,  Yes I was planning on doing my own tour with an outside tour company,  not with Carnival,  but I have read on here where people who have cruised with Carnival and checked support and Carnival would argue and had them change it to people to people, but never actually had them book an excursion with them.  So what I was originally saying is if it comes to that I will mark people to people to make Carnival happy and still take my tour with whomever I want, and hope that it works since havanacar, has that statement listed above on their website regarding support

I just booked with Blexie and he has revised his documentation and it states that his itinerary is compatible for both "Support of the Cuban People" and "People to People" so you are OK checking off either one.

From my understanding the differences between the two are more important for visitors who arrive via air and stay for an extended time period as they need to declare the intention for their visit ahead of time, and remain compliant throughout their stay, while we cruise ship visitors have much more latitude.

Edited by K&RCurt
  • Like 1

We just got back from Havana.  We also had a private tour company (FerTours) that said they were compliant with Support of the Cuban people but we checked People to People on our affidavit .

Believe me when I say it all doesn’t really matter and you will have no issues.  Just check People to People and be done with it. Not worth the argument .

PS - Havana is a very safe place day or night