Chilled Soup

crossingfan

6 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

No chilled soups on the Oosterdam two weeks ago

I'm so sorry to see this. We will be on the Oosterdam in a few weeks. I've always loved the chilled soups and would order them almost every night.  Dang!

For what it's worth, here's the list from our 2018 voyage on Maasdam, San Diego to Boston. For Gala nights and the King's birthday, the menu was limited and the only soups were hot. The parenthetical notes are as they were in the menu.

April 22     Chilled Pear, Cucumber and Melon Gazpacho  (pineapple juice, basil, mint, rice wine vinegar, jalapeño peppers)

April 23     Chilled Blueberry Soup  (Crème de Cassis, Champagne)

April 24     Gala Night

April 25     Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup  (buttermilk, apple juice)

April 26     Chilled Indian Lassi Soup  (banana, yogurt, sour cream, honey, cinnamon)

April 27     King's Birthday

April 28     Chilled Pineapple and Cucumber Soup  (macadamia nuts, jalapeño, cilantro)

April 29     Chilled Strawberry Bisque  (green peppercorn cream)

April 30     Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup  (orange juice, cream, honey)

May 1        Chilled Guava and Passion Fruit Soup  (almond macaroon)

May 2        Chilled Apple Vichyssoise  (ginger, yogurt, cream, cinnamon, apple brandy, Granny Smith apples)

May 3        Chilled Anjou Pear Soup  (cool and ripe with rubies of dried cherry)

May 4        Gala Night

May 5        Chilled Kiwi-Melon Soup  (cilantro, peppers, red onion)

May 6        Chilled Pineapple Piña Colada Soup  (coconut milk, rum, cinnamon, pineapple slice)

May 7        Chilled Mixed Berry Soup  (lemon zest)

May 8        Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho  (lemon sorbet, lime leaves)

May 9        Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup  (coconut, yogurt, milk, vanilla, nutmeg)

May 10     Gala Night

May 11     Gazpacho with Crab  (cumin Mousse)

I, too, love the chilled soups.  Been on 3 HAL cruises (total of over 60 days) in the last 16 months and had only 1 chilled soup and it was something other than my preferred fruit.  Just another change they are making not to my liking.  Their changes have led to our last cruise being on Oceania and the next on Princess.

20 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

I was on the Volendam last month. Our dining steward informed us that we could pre order chilled soup and a few of us did so regularly. We particularly enjoyed the cucumber and gazpacho soups. Apparently other items not on the menu can be pre ordered. The steward just has to confirm with the kitchen.

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Sorry, but I didn't read the entire thread.  I read your post and started doing "high fives" and rebel yells.  These soups were the menu items I most anticipated every time I booked.  Sadly, they have not appeared on any of the menus on the ships I've sailed recently.  I generally take at least two HA cruises per year, sometimes three.  It was so disappointing not to see these soups on the menu.  Many times, I'd order one for dessert.  Yummy.  If we must have cutbacks, can't they cut something else?  At this point, however, I hesitate to mention anything for fear that the "suits" in Seattle may see the suggestion as one idea they never considered and cut that thing immediately.

I know on 28 days on the Prinsendam last September, there were no chilled soups at all. It was a big disappointment.
IIRC, it was a fairly recent change at that point. There are teasers that chilled soups are making a comeback, at least to a limited degree. Let's hope that it isn't limited to Grand Cruises, such as the World and the current Prinsendam Grand South America.

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I know on 28 days on the Prinsendam last September, there were no chilled soups at all. It was a big disappointment.
IIRC, it was a fairly recent change at that point. There are teasers that chilled soups are making a comeback, at least to a limited degree. Let's hope that it isn't limited to Grand Cruises, such as the World and the current Prinsendam Grand South America.

I know I missed them last year Ruth and voiced my disappointment.

We'll soon find out if they were limited to these wonderful voyages.  We'll be on in just a little over 4 weeks and I am not getting my hopes up to high, but really hopeful.

It was one thing I really enjoyed. 😉 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:17 PM, boards said:

We were on the Koningsdam (TA cruise) last Oct. 2018 and the was no chilled soups available.  I have enjoyed them too, so I hope they will reappear for our next cruise on the Noordam this fall.

We were on last month for 11 days and never saw a chilled soup.  Really missed them!