Gatwick Airport to London transport questions

kate59

We are not experienced air travellers and just a few questions

Arriving at Gatwick Airport at 12.35 pm - how much time do I need to allow to get through immigration and customs - we are Australian. Just need some indication of when to book coach or train.

Would train or coach to London be best - we don't mind public transport and will be getting taxi from near Victoria Station to our accommodation. 

Thanks

There is a frequent train direct from Gatwick to Victoria (about half-an-hour). Given the fairly modest saving for advance bookings with a fixed time, I would buy my ticket on the day.

National Express coach is cheaper but takes twice as long.

Edited by Bob++

1 minute ago, Bob++ said:

There is a frequent train direct from Gatwick to Victoria (about half-an-hour). Given the fairly modest saving for advance bookings with a fixed time, I would buy my ticket on the day.

National Express coach is cheaper but takes twice as long.

Thanks Bob for your quick response and yes I had been thinking just better to get ticket on the day but just wasn't sure.

I think the train may be best.

I have used both the train and bus from Gatwick to London. Even though it takes  longer, I prefer the bus after an 8 hour flight with a 7 hour time difference. (From western Canada) The luggage is in the hold while I nap to Victoria coach station. The cost is as low as 4£ if booked far enough in advance. The nap helps me to stay up longer and adjust to the local time. 

To be safe, I would book the bus/train  for 2:00 though I’m pretty sure 1:30 would be okay if you knew where to go and if your flight was on time. 

The Gatwick Express cost is much more than the normal train and there’s the hassle and stress of dealing with your luggage on possibly a full train.

• 5 weeks later...

You've said Victoria but is that where your accommodation is? There are also frequent trains to other central London stations via the Thameslink route - which can be a better option. The Thameslink trains are 12 coach so absolutely no problem finding space at the time you arrive.

The road journey is desperately slow - purgatory - I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than use the coach.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a train called Gatwick Express that runs continually from Gatwick to Victoria Station. It is very fast and convenient. Highly recommend. 

Passport control at Gatwick can take 45 minutes to an hour for non-EU citizens.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:29 AM, lamchops said:

The Gatwick Express cost is much more than the normal train ...

I'm not sure that this is true, so far as trains to Victoria are concerned. As far as I know, the premium you pay for Gatwick Express is in the region of £2 to £4 on a one-way basis. You can vary the cost of each option by things like online purchase for Gatwick Express or using a contactless bank card instead of buying a ticket for Southern. But I believe that it's of that order. ISTR that it's possible to make bigger savings if you take the "normal" train to London Bridge, but for many people that's then a long way from where they want to be.

"There is a train called Gatwick Express that runs continually from Gatwick to Victoria Station."

Trains branded Express run every fifteen minutes between the airport and Victoria.  About half those trains start at Brighton so they are already carrying passengers when they get to Gatwick.  Despite the adverts and the implication from the branding, trains branded Express are not a dedicated airport service. 

Other trains operate on this route are as frequent and only take about 3 minutes longer than trains branded Express - but the 'normal' services are much cheaper.  Outside of weekday rush hours, there is loads of capacity and getting a seat on 'normal' services is not a problem.

For destinations in many other parts of central London, the trains branded Thameslink are a better option than a train to Victoria.

This is not to suggest that taking the train is the wrong option.  Taking the train is a MUCH faster journey into central London than the road journey, but don't feel that trains branded Express are the only option.

The comment above, that the price difference is only a few pounds?  No - in off-peak hours, the standard adult fare is £8.30 to any central London national rail station (using electronic payment) but it is over £15 for trains branded Express.

4 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

the standard adult fare is £8.30 to any central London national rail station (using electronic payment) .

Yes, that’s the Oyster and contactless off-peak fare and it’s an absolute bargain. 

Peak hours from LGW to London are trains departing 0630-0930 Monday-Friday, when the equivalent fare is £15.10. 

The Express fare is over £19 at anytime, but you can save 10% buying an e-ticket online on their website. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

Is there something when you are flying from Gatwick that is available to go thru an express  lane like the one coming in  to Gatwick ? Thanks 

Yes, the equivalent outbound is Premium Gatwick Security - £5 to access a special lane through the security check (there is no outbound border check). 

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/premium-security/

Yes, below is a link to flying out of Gatwick using ‘Premium Security’ 🤔🙂

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/premium-security/

Hope that it helps.

Also, to help arriving travellers, from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan and US, if you have a chip in your Passport, you can use the automated e-gates. 

Long explanation below. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/epassport-gates-to-ease-travel-for-passengers-from-more-countries