Would you get back to the ship on time if doing a Luau on your own?

Aquaticdreams

We’re thinking of doing either the Chief’s or Paradise Cove luau on our own in Oahu. Our ship leaves at 11:00 PM. All aboard is 10:30. Both will drop you off at the pier (pier 2) but we’re hesitant about cutting it so close. Has anyone heard of any problems with these getting you back to the ship on time? Thanks!

On those websites, doesn't it tell you when the luau starts and the duration? Then google the drive time to the ship and add a cushion to allow for poor traffic.

I just used google and found the Chief's Luau says its done about 8:30pm. Then looked up driving directions from there (basically at Wet & Wild water park) to the cruise ship pier and google says its 28 minutes and 21.5 miles. Even if you double the drive time, you'd still be back at the ship by 10pm.

Do a similar thing for the other luau and then decide.

Thank you. I did look and also called them both. They both said your bus will leave almost immediately and you’ll be back by 10:00 “at the latest.” It may be true but I’m sure they want to encourage people to go to their own luau. It’s hard to know if they’re credible and what their actual track record is so I’m just wondering if anyone has heard or had their own personal experience with them. Things can always go wrong with traffic but how reliable are they under normal circumstances? I know they get good reviews and a lot of cruisers go but many are in Honolulu overnight. Would like to get as much info as possible before making a decision. Thanks.

I'm probably overly cautious, but I sure wouldn't leave myself with a 30 minute window of possibly getting left behind. Nevermind the traffic, a minor fender bender, a flat tire, a forced detour because of another traffic accident could completely derail your trip.

It ends at 8:30 and you need to be on board at 10:30 so that gives 2 hours to travel what usually takes about 35-40 minutes. So you do have a buffer in case of traffic but my concern would be hoping the driver would try to find alternative routes if there is an accident on H-1 or just sit and wait.

I would just be concerned about heavy traffic or any accidents as you are primarily traveling one of the busiest sections of Hawaiian highway. In 2016 we did the Paradise Cove luau from a Waikiki hotel and I remember sitting on H-1 for a long time and there was not even an accident, just heavy traffic. I can a time be a worry wart, so I know I would be stressing right up until the bus gets to pier 2. 😲

On 3/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

We do stop in Maui but it’s not an overnight so unfortunately it’s not an option.

Very close to Lahaina are Feast at Lele and Old Lahaina Luau. They both get excellent reviews, and even with a tender trip back to the ship you would have time to make it work.

59 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Very close to Lahaina are Feast at Lele and Old Lahaina Luau. They both get excellent reviews, and even with a tender trip back to the ship you would have time to make it work.

This would depend on when their ship sails. Yes, they don't need an over night stay. But they do need a stay until 10 or 11pm.  Sailing prior to then rules out a luau at Lahaina.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:28 AM, CruiserBruce said:

This would depend on when their ship sails. Yes, they don't need an over night stay. But they do need a stay until 10 or 11pm.  Sailing prior to then rules out a luau at Lahaina.

Agreed. In the OP, AquaticDreams said their ship sails at 11pm. 

Thanks. We’re only in port in Maui until 6:00. The ship sails at 11:00 in Oahu so that will be our only option. The ship excursion to Germaine’s was cancelled so we’re still debating if we feel it’s safe enough to do chiefs or paradise cove instead. At the moment I don’t think we want to take the chance but we’re still somewhat open to suggestion. 

8 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks. We’re only in port in Maui until 6:00. The ship sails at 11:00 in Oahu so that will be our only option. The ship excursion to Germaine’s was cancelled so we’re still debating if we feel it’s safe enough to do chiefs or paradise cove instead. At the moment I don’t think we want to take the chance but we’re still somewhat open to suggestion. 

Oops! I got confused. You were asking about luaus in Oahu originally. Sorry for confusion.