question about weather at sea leaving Boston next week

insearchofsun

Hi all,

We are on the Gem next week (14 day southern Caribbean cruise)from Boston.  We are local, so know it will be chilly leaving, but are wondering when it is likely to warm up.  Trying to pack and figure how many warm clothes to bring.  There are 3 sea days on the way down and 3 on the way back.  Anyone done a cruise with similar itinerary? Would love your thoughts.  

Thank you! 

• Like 1

I am on the same cruise.  I'm planning on the first day to be cold, not much of out side day.  The second day to be sit outside but probably no bathing suit, and Sunday to be the weather we're looking for, bathing suits.  Inside I think it's cold almost all the time so I always plan on something over my shoulders.  We are O'B & George from Attleboro, maybe we'll see you on board.

• Like 1

Hard to predict.  We sailed out of NYC, January 2018 and the afternoon of our first full sea day, people were in the pools.  On the way home, it was beautiful the whole last day.  This past January we sailed out of Miami and the last day heading back was "brrrr".  We've sailed out of Boston seven times from May-October and the first night out of Boston has always been windy and cold.  I think wearing a few layers would be best.  We will see you onboard.

5 hours ago, insearchofsun said:

Hi all,

We are on the Gem next week (14 day southern Caribbean cruise)from Boston.  We are local, so know it will be chilly leaving, but are wondering when it is likely to warm up.  Trying to pack and figure how many warm clothes to bring.  There are 3 sea days on the way down and 3 on the way back.  Anyone done a cruise with similar itinerary? Would love your thoughts.  

Thank you! 

Hi. we sailed out of NYC on the Gem in early March, 2017 and we were all by the pool by the morning of the second sea day. Being New Englanders we tend to think 50/60 is sunbathing weather in the spring after a cold winter! LOL  The North Atlantic is unpredictable though, and we are a bit further north, so it maybe a little longer.  Since it is early Spring and almost April I am hoping we are out by the pool by the second sea day!! 

I am on this cruise too.  If you are interested come join us on the cruise roll call.... I am going to try to paste the link... I've not been too successful with this lately!  We are planning a meet and greet with the officers and about 100 of your fellow cruisers, a gift exchange, a slot pull and a bon voyage/sail away gathering. come over and read the last few pages to get to know the people and decide if you want to join us!   Just 9 days to go!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2483949-gem-14-night-from-boston-march-29-2019/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-57073681

5 hours ago, insearchofsun said:

Hi all,

Thank you! 

It takes 12 hrs to clear Cape Cod plus a few more to hit the Gulf Stream and warm water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, df5250 said:

Hi. we sailed out of NYC on the Gem in early March, 2017 and we were all by the pool by the morning of the second sea day. Being New Englanders we tend to think 50/60 is sunbathing weather in the spring after a cold winter! LOL  The North Atlantic is unpredictable though, and we are a bit further north, so it maybe a little longer.  Since it is early Spring and almost April I am hoping we are out by the pool by the second sea day!! 

I am on this cruise too.  If you are interested come join us on the cruise roll call.... I am going to try to paste the link... I've not been too successful with this lately!  We are planning a meet and greet with the officers and about 100 of your fellow cruisers, a gift exchange, a slot pull and a bon voyage/sail away gathering. come over and read the last few pages to get to know the people and decide if you want to join us!   Just 9 days to go!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2483949-gem-14-night-from-boston-march-29-2019/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-57073681

We will check it out! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, insearchofsun said:

Hi all,

Thank you! 

Day 1 and 2 chills. Warm on day 3. Same thing on way back. Enjoy indoor activities. We’ve been many times out of nyc Baltimore Bayonne and Boston. It beats flights and delays.

We’ve embraced the relaxation time.

We were on the Gem out of NYC this month, two weeks ago.

Sailaway was chilly (31°F), so we didn’t spend much time outdoors. I wore a sweater and a fleece that day. 

The first sea day it warmed up to about 60°F. I had short sleeves on by the end of the day, but long pants. 

On the second sea day, it was in the mid 70s, and I had shorts on. 

Even with the gradual warmup, it’s incredible how fast you get used to the warm temperatures. You basically forget that it’s not summer—until you have to come home. 

The reverse was pretty much true on the way back: shorts went back into the closet at the end of the first sea day, long sleeves came back on the second.