Onboard communication with Medallion

Fishboy1947

We are taking a family cruise to Alaska in June. We have 22 in our party, 6 families ages 11-72.  

The published Medallion info indicates that we will be able to communicate throughout the ship, the Royal.

Does anyone know how this will work? Can I contact someone anyplace on the ship to tell them to meet me? Will they be notified that they have a message?

Can I send a communication to our whole group to meet at Alfredo’s?

With the old system I could send someone a message but they were not notified that they had a message. Hoping this works well

32 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

We are taking a family cruise to Alaska in June. 

The published Medallion info indicates that we will be able to communicate throughout the ship, the Royal.

Does anyone know how this will work?

Yes we do. If medallion is completely up and running it is a wonderful 'new' communication device. You will need to download 'Ocean Compass'. Once aboard the ship everyone in a cabin will be listed as "shipmates" automatically. You can add other shipmates by typing in their name ( as it appears on the ships register) and inviting them to be your shipmate. They then have to accept that request. It is that simple, but also a little cumbersome for a big group, but well worth the time taken.

You can message anyone of your shipmates directly, and they will get an audible ping just like texting at home. I believe that you can set up groups but we do not have first hand knowledge of that.

Once you have linked everyone together you can use the large screens by the elevators to communicate with or 'find' any of your shipmates as well as your smart device. The 'finding shipmates' function is fun and easy to use, it is real-time, and provided my wife the comfort of knowing I had made it back to the ship before sail-away, and she watched my progression thru the ship back to the cabin, stopping briefly for a gin and tonic.

Jim   😎

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure that no one needs an internet package.  This is a free service.  There are many posts on here regarding Ocean Medallion, so if you have a little time to look around you will find additional information.  We are going on the Caribbean Princess later this year, so I'm trying to educate myself as well!

Download as mentioned. Any problem visit the internet cafe when you board and they will set you up. It's a free service, you don't need to purchase an internet package. Remember to place your device in airplane mode so you are not charged by your carrier for data. Also cell calls are very expensive from the ship, but you can easily make them in port.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

How doyou hear this ping?  Is it on the medallion or do you have to carry your device to hear it on the Ocean Compass app? I think I know the answer but just for clarity.

Same as texting at home, the audible alert that you have an incoming message is on the device that you are currently using to text with, your phone or tablet. as others have pointed out, there is no need to be on the internet to use this function or any of the other functions associated with the medallion. Oder drinks from your phone, find your shipmates, locate and navigate to a particular venue, check your folio, gamble, order room service breakfast, etc. The medallion itself is a silent disk.

Jim

3 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

Same as texting at home, the audible alert that you have an incoming message is on the device that you are currently using to text with, your phone or tablet. as others have pointed out, there is no need to be on the internet to use this function or any of the other functions associated with the medallion. Oder drinks from your phone, find your shipmates, locate and navigate to a particular venue, check your folio, gamble, order room service breakfast, etc. The medallion itself is a silent disk.

Jim

Thank you