Booking Solo - Adding a Guest

Hello!

Just a quick question, does anyone know if its possible to book solo (200%) and then add an additional guest later on and just paying the extra tax? Or alternatively booking 2 and 1 person canceling, will that tax be refunded? 

What would be the best way to proceed with someone who isn't sure about coming?

Thankyou!

Aaron

Yes it is possible. I often book solo reservations by paying 200% and taxes for only myself. I can add a traveling companion later and pay additional in the form of just taxes for that second person. 

I sometimes book with the name of a “dummy” passenger and pay taxes for both. The name of the dummy pax can be changed, removed or added anytime and as many times as you like up until ~72 hours prior to your sail date. 

If I decide to sail solo, I call and arrange to have the dummy pax removed from the reservation. Taxes and fees get removed. 

I hope this helps!

Not totally correct. If you book solo and add a second person later the cabin will be reprized based on the current rate plus taxes and fees for him/her. If you originaly booked two people and have one dummy as a no-show taxes and fees will be reimbursed after the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Not totally correct. If you book solo and add a second person later the cabin will be reprized based on the current rate plus taxes and fees for him/her. If you originaly booked two people and have one dummy as a no-show taxes and fees will be reimbursed after the cruise.  

This has not been my experience. I have never had a cabin repriced at the time I add the name of the second passenger. But as a rule and for purposes of price protection, it is probably better to add the second passenger's name at the time of booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have never had them reprice my fare. I always book solo. I don't book the ES or guarantees, as I like to pick my cabin (not sure if that matters). I make sure to ask each time what it would cost to add a second person. Always has just been just taxes and fees. They always make sure to tell me the 2nd person will also have gratuities and to do it sooner rather than later because of capacity on the life boats.

I just got off the phone with MJ at the 866# regarding my reservation for September 2019. She reiterated it would cost $98.55 to add a second person. Again, she stated being able to do so is dependent on #s.

When necessary we have booked a double occupancy with the 2nd guest as TBD (To Be Determined) then I can always add a name or have them a no show and get the port fees/taxes credited back to my credit card.

No worries about space (life boats), or the "possibility" and it can happen of a repricing...you just never know with RCI...no reason to count on their policy or what a rep says when the time actually comes.

Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Ashland

17 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

16 hours ago, molly361 said:

Ditto what Saab444 said.  Better to add a second person now

Respectfully disagree. In fact, our upcoming TA on Serenade was booked solo at the 150% rate and I added my 30 year old son to my cabin and only paid the taxes.

Of course I then used the Royal UP to spend additional money to put us in a balcony, so Royal got some money back.

YMMV