Emergency Contact on ship

maryhou

Like that they would be able to deliver you the message regarding said issue.   Not that I have ever heard of.  There are a lot of passengers and they could have varying levels of "emergencies" to handle . 

Edited by Caps_Shield

The phone number still works if needed, The family member calls it the message gets to the ship and delivered to you.  

I am guessing a lot of people have forgot 10 years ago cell phones did not work on ships and computers had limited access 

Yes it is old school but it still works 

I also do not get an internet package.  I try my best to pick up some wifi while in ports.  

Something to think about.... 

I have had serious conversations with family about what to do in an "emergency."    Here is what we have come up with.  This applies to all travel not just cruises. 

Medical Emergencies:

1. We have designated 1 person who will make any contact with me about an emergency situation.  This person also has electronic copies of our passports in case we have the emergency.  🙂  

2. Well in advance I have had conversations with this family member about reaching out to me for an emergency.  We have agreed to be specific on what she wants me to do.  For example, if she contacts me to tell me that grandpa is in the hospital.  Is she just keeping me in the loop so I can keep grandpa in my thoughts and prayers or is she asking me to get off the ship, make my way to an airport, buy a ticket and fly home?  

3. If you ask me to fly home, what is it you expect of me when I return?  If grandpa is still in the hospital am I immediately needed at home? Maybe I have some role in support/care after grandpa is released from the hospital.  Back to the original question..... are you asking me to fly home now?  Why?

4. We have also had the discussion about the "fly home" option.  Many times the cruise port is not near an airport.  It may take up to a few days to be at a port that has an airport.  You could be at sea for a few days.  You could be at one of the private islands and need to get to a larger port so you can then make your way to the airport.   It is not as easy as another type of land based vacation might be to just go to the airport and change an existing return flight.   If the person contacting you does not travel much, they may not understand the logistics and costs to changing travel plans.  

House/Pet Emergencies:

1. We have a trusted neighbor look after our pet and our home.  For the home, our neighbor is provided with a good friend contact who will make any decisions and financial commitments that may need to be made in a true urgent emergency.  Think of a tree branch falling through your roof. Who do you want to handle that in your absence?

2. For our pet, we have provided our neighbor with instructions on how to handle a medical emergency?  I got this idea from the neighbor as they had a sick pet and the neighbor was going 1/2 way around the world with limited wifi access.  We had the hard talk about what she wanted me to do.   Under what circumstances should I take the pet to the vet?  What amount are you authorizing me to spend on your pet?  What if the vet recommends putting the pet down?  

All travel has the risk that you may not be close by for any kind of event.  My suggestion is to identify emergency contacts and have a discussion on expectations.

Then..... go enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 2

If your family calls the number given by a previous poster, the message will be relayed to you.  Unfortunately I know from experience.  My sisters, our niece and I were on a cruise when our aunt passed away.  My DH called Carnival and the message was relayed to me.  They even tracked us down at dinner (we had anytime dining and they still found us).  And their customer service was beyond outstanding!!!  I went to GS, they picked up their phone and called my DH for me (they even looked up his cell phone #).  And they even offered us early debarkation.  The people at GS were so kind and helpful.  They got an A++++++++ from me for customer service.  Other than my DH calling Carnival on his cell phone, there were no cell phones involved in this process, no internet service required. 

• Like 3

I give this info to my family (from the CCL web site)

In the event of a true emergency, family may contact our call center at 1-800-227-6482 on a 24/7 basis.

I also ask family, because we get away so very seldom, to save any bad news until we're back on dry land if there is nothing we an do about it before then.  Of course they'd notify us of something major that required our presence at home.  We've never needed to use that number but I trust our son and my sister to use wise judgement.

• Like 2