Dream Cruise Report

Report on our latest cruise on the Dream in the Canaries. Firstly just in case anyone is interested we booked into the new Clubrooms at BHX and did find it an improvement on the No1 Lounge  very relaxing.

Didn't think much of the Tui reception at Tenerife airport which would have been an issue for first timers. It was however great to be welcomed onboard  by some of the old staff in particular Yudi the waiter who carried our hand luggage to our cabin, reminded us of the old times, and Hotif the head waiter. Its been a couple of years since we were on her last and she has had a makeover but probably requires another. 

Entertainment is probably some of the best we have seen for many years and the show team are performing like the good old days, we meet Mark, probably best known as the ginger warrior, from Destiny days ten years ago, when he was ACD, he now works at head office and is 'monitoring' the new shows.

Majority dressed formally with the normal dozen or so  Scotts in their attire which is great to see, don't know how they get away with the dirks! (spelling may be wrong) 

We found the food, for us, good service quick and efficient but we do eat early. General atmosphere on board was fantastic and we meet some very nice cruisers. We did upgrade the drinks and found it useful.  Didn't get off the ship much as ports not very good IMO.

We always book the same cabin which I would no longer recommend because of the creaking (9040).

Check in for flight home was good and Tui appear to have sorted out the system very well.

Flight what can you say we had a woman pilot who despite the head wind and bumpy ride got us home 30mins early first officer said she had found a short cut!

All in all another great cruise and its nice to see they are looking into improving the entertainment.   

Good afternoon everyone.

We are booked on the Dream for September this year, apologies for hijacking your thread but I wonder if you can help me?

I'm in 2 minds as to whether to upgrade the drinks package for my wife and I. She is a g and t girl and I enjoy spiced rum, as well as a pint or 2 of cider.

Will the standard drinks package work for us, bare in mind at home we don't buy premium brand drinks.

Any help would be great thank you all

It can only be your choice, I like a good whiskey or speckled hen beer, the wife like a good gin or cocktail we both enjoy a nice coffee from the port and a good red wine, which are not included on the std package. Are you doing two weeks? As you have two days to decide when onboard so you could just do the second week. 

Gin and tonic fine on the standard package also spiced rum available and cider unless you want premium brands don't bother

cocktails also available

Ps when you order make sure you specify which gin you want that's on the menu or they'll give you house gin

They never played in Waters edge only Tides and yes it was packed, Rythem and Soul in waters edge very good seen them before. Muzic unlimited in Madusa again as you know very good, and the show team not a weak performer best for many years but 2Intense still the best and just wait till you see Maris she has worked hard over her four months off and is looking good. 😉

Thanks Yes I knew they were in Tides as we've seen a couple of videos on Facebook just wondered if it was as packed as it was when they played in Waters Edge 

Not seen Rhythm & Soul but glad to hear they're good Musik Unlimited are good too saw them on Majesty & Celebration last year

Glad to hear the show team were good cos the last few we've seen on different ships the men weren't that good

So we'll be seeing a slimline Maris will we?

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Report on our latest cruise on the Dream in the Canaries. Firstly just in case anyone is interested we booked into the new Clubrooms at BHX and did find it an improvement on the No1 Lounge  very relaxing.

Didn't think much of the Tui reception at Tenerife airport which would have been an issue for first timers. It was however great to be welcomed onboard  by some of the old staff in particular Yudi the waiter who carried our hand luggage to our cabin, reminded us of the old times, and Hotif the head waiter. Its been a couple of years since we were on her last and she has had a makeover but probably requires another. 

Entertainment is probably some of the best we have seen for many years and the show team are performing like the good old days, we meet Mark, probably best known as the ginger warrior, from Destiny days ten years ago, when he was ACD, he now works at head office and is 'monitoring' the new shows.

Majority dressed formally with the normal dozen or so  Scotts in their attire which is great to see, don't know how they get away with the dirks! (spelling may be wrong) 

We found the food, for us, good service quick and efficient but we do eat early. General atmosphere on board was fantastic and we meet some very nice cruisers. We did upgrade the drinks and found it useful.  Didn't get off the ship much as ports not very good IMO.

We always book the same cabin which I would no longer recommend because of the creaking (9040).

Check in for flight home was good and Tui appear to have sorted out the system very well.

Flight what can you say we had a woman pilot who despite the head wind and bumpy ride got us home 30mins early first officer said she had found a short cut!

All in all another great cruise and its nice to see they are looking into improving the entertainment.   

Hi Pensioncruiser

Thanks for the review and good to hear you had a great cruise

Also good to hear things are still as good

Roll on 9 weeks

Wonder if show team and resident band will still be the same or changed when we go

Ps Dirk is the proper spelling

Edited by Jim The Scot

15 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Thanks Yes I knew they were in Tides as we've seen a couple of videos on Facebook just wondered if it was as packed as it was when they played in Waters Edge 

Not seen Rhythm & Soul but glad to hear they're good Musik Unlimited are good too saw them on Majesty & Celebration last year

Glad to hear the show team were good cos the last few we've seen on different ships the men weren't that good

So we'll be seeing a slimline Maris will we?

It's not for me as a gentleman to comment on Maris but yes😉

3 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Your spelling of dirk is correct.. From the Oxford Dictionary 

A short dagger of a kind formerly carried by Scottish Highlanders.

4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi P.C

looking at marella Cruise news tonight, the company has revealed both Dream and Celebration are both going to be replaced with in five years before that Dream is going for a big refit for two month,s in dry dock Jan 2020.

HI Roger

yes came home Monday thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, did do the island tour in Tortola and saw the devastation caused eighteen months  by the big storm they are still rebuilding every were , we had the family Balcony 10160 won,t bother again the bed is approximately 5 ft wide and tucked away in a corner behind sliding door only one way into bed who goes in first me who want,s a wee middle of night me a case of climbing over wife in the dark, the shows were all very good from kog,s to london musicals , the resident band is also brilliant, the ship it self is showing her age in places mostly on deck but she is 21 year,s old, the food was very good all round lots of speciality restaurants around the decks from Italian to sushi to good home cooking, would i cruise again on Explorer again yes, but would  prefer the discovery,s first.

PS. this is the cruise ship lovely Jane macDonald made her rise to fame in the late 90,s

Thanks for that thought it would take a while to clean up Tortola, how was Saint Marteen that was also badly hit as you know. Can imagine the fun you must have had after a few beers getting in and out of bed😀. We have a couple of B2Bs booked on Discovery2 so it may be some time before we do Explorer. Have you anything booked? I won't ask about the team🙄