Port of call canceled?

ncpiggie

Has anyone heard anything more about Carnival not stopping at Antigua due to the country not wanting cruise ships there?  I read the article recently and now can’t find it.  It could be a different port.  

Yes there is a post somewhere on CC last month that Carnival was cancelling Antiqua due to problems with the government there. However they have not yet changed their telephone commercial playing while you wait as they still advertise the beaches of Antiqua.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, keywest1 said:

We are booked on the Magic Feb 2020 and our stop at Antigua has been cancelled and replaced with Tortola.

Ditto. Are you on the cruise that sails on Feb. 29th?  One of the reasons we booked the cruise was because it included Antigua. It was disappointing when we got the news, but we're excited about going to Tortola. We've never been there, and I've been reading lots of good comments about it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Ditto. Are you on the cruise that sails on Feb. 29th?  One of the reasons we booked the cruise was because it included Antigua. It was disappointing when we got the news, but we're excited about going to Tortola. We've never been there, and I've been reading lots of good comments about it. 

We are on that cruise :classic_smile:  That's the major reason we booked the cruise as well, but Tortola is a great substitute.  It's a new port for us, too.  

A long time friend from the old Carnival Funville Forum surprised me by booking the cruise, too.  We have talked about cruising together for 6 years and it's finally going to happen!!  So I'm really looking forward to this.  Completely took the sting out of itinerary change.

4 hours ago, keywest1 said:

We are booked on the Magic Feb 2020 and our stop at Antigua has been cancelled and replaced with Tortola.

I'm booked on this cruise as well and had a tour booked through Carnival but it is still showing my booked tour. Did you by any chance have a tour booked and get your refund of it as it has been over two weeks that they said we would be refunded and of the 8 of us booked for this tour none of us have been refunded and it was no small amount $300. I would like to call them but not sure who to call as I don't want to talk to a PVP as I'm booked through a travel agent

7 minutes ago, mafiadon said:

I'm booked on this cruise as well and had a tour booked through Carnival but it is still showing my booked tour. Did you by any chance have a tour booked and get your refund of it as it has been over two weeks that they said we would be refunded and of the 8 of us booked for this tour none of us have been refunded and it was no small amount $300. I would like to call them but not sure who to call as I don't want to talk to a PVP as I'm booked through a travel agent

I haven't booked any tours yet.  Did you book the tour yourself or did the TA do it for you?  What I am wondering is if it's possible that the TA got the refund.  That would be the first place I'd check if you haven't yet.  I'm not saying TA is dishonest at all, just wondering if that may be what happened.  If you are on social media, you might try posting on Carnival page.  One of the Carnival reps who answer posts may be able to help you get a resolution.

Good luck--I agree that $300 isn't pocket change.

7 hours ago, ncpiggie said:

Carnival not stopping at Antigua due to the country not wanting cruise ships there?

you need to read the article, there are plenty of cruise ships porting at Antigua. Carnival voluntarily pulled out.

Carnival pulled out because the government awarded the contract for the cruise port to a different organization, not the consortium of CCL, RCL, and NCLH.  The plans for the port include improvements for larger ships such as Royal and MSC. CCL does not like the direction so they are applying pressure by pulling out.

Basically the government is not kowtowing enough to CCL and their view of the cruise industry so the 600 lb gorilla has decided to throw its weight around.

Edited by RDC1

1 hour ago, RDC1 said:

Carnival pulled out because the government awarded the contract for the cruise port to a different organization, not the consortium of CCL, RCL, and NCLH.  The plans for the port include improvements for larger ships such as Royal and MSC. CCL does not like the direction so they are applying pressure by pulling out.

Basically the government is not kowtowing enough to CCL and their view of the cruise industry so the 600 lb gorilla has decided to throw its weight around.

This is not my understanding.  If this was true, then the whole consortium of CCL, RCL, and NCLH would pull out.

Read through this thread and its links for the background on the true reason CCL is pulling out:   

8 hours ago, ncpiggie said:

I did read the article and my question again.  What wanted to ask was if Carnival substituted another port?  Sorry for the confusion but I must have been half asleep.   

Unless and until things change between Carnival and Antigua, Carnival will be stopping in Tortola, but not in Antigua.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, keywest1 said:

We are on that cruise :classic_smile:  That's the major reason we booked the cruise as well, but Tortola is a great substitute.  It's a new port for us, too.  

A long time friend from the old Carnival Funville Forum surprised me by booking the cruise, too.  We have talked about cruising together for 6 years and it's finally going to happen!!  So I'm really looking forward to this.  Completely took the sting out of itinerary change.

Are you part of that other social media group?

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, mafiadon said:

6 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

No just a group of 8 friends sailing. I called Carnival today, and they cancelled it for me and they said they didn't know why it wasn't canceled but the other 3 couples with me didn't receive they refund either. They were really fast and easy to work with and they sent me an email that it was canceled and I should get my refund in about 10 days

On 3/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, keywest1 said:

I haven't booked any tours yet.  Did you book the tour yourself or did the TA do it for you?  What I am wondering is if it's possible that the TA got the refund.  That would be the first place I'd check if you haven't yet.  I'm not saying TA is dishonest at all, just wondering if that may be what happened.  If you are on social media, you might try posting on Carnival page.  One of the Carnival reps who answer posts may be able to help you get a resolution.

Good luck--I agree that $300 isn't pocket change.

No I booked it through Carnival myself. I called their customer service today and they sent my call to the Shore Dept and they didn't know why it wasn't canceled but they did it for me and send me an email that our refund would be credited to our card in 7 to 10 days. My whole group of 8 didn't get the tour canceled so now they have to call and get it canceled 

Edited by mafiadon

6 hours ago, mafiadon said:

No I booked it through Carnival myself. I called their customer service today and they sent my call to the Shore Dept and they didn't know why it wasn't canceled but they did it for me and send me an email that our refund would be credited to our card in 7 to 10 days. My whole group of 8 didn't get the tour canceled so now they have to call and get it canceled 

Glad you finally got an answer 🙂