Mid Town Hotel and Ferry to Brooklyn

Tedferg

OK combining two previous questions: 

1. Ferry seems a neat way to get across from Manhattan to cruise pier.

2. Probably better for tourist to stay Midtown for hotel.

Any benefit in taking ferry or, since we'd need a cab from hotel, just stay in cab all the way to pier ?

I would just cab/uber all the way to the pier-- you'll get just as good of a look at the harbor from the ship as you depart. Its alot of running around with bags to cram onto a small little boat and get a fleeting glimpse of Governors Island. Either will get you there but it'll be a much more leisurely experience in a car with very little downside. 

Midtown hotel is a very broad subject and I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses for which one is better/cheaper etc. How much do you want to spend-- midtown will be at least $100 if you get a deal and can go into the stratosphere for just about any sort of hotel you'd like. 

We've always been a big fan of the St Regis on 55th and 5th, but mainly use points as it can be upwards of $800 a night for a standard room on a normal night. I've stayed a bunch at the City Club (44th between 5th and 6th)-- tiny rooms but of a high quality and well located-- usually only use it as a crash pad when I have to stay over last minute for a business meeting but it would be perfectly adequate for a couple who don't need the trappings of a full hotel but still want somewhere with a nice room for a reasonable price. 

princeton123211,  have you ever used points to stay at Hilton midtown? I have lots of Hilton and Marriott points; and will most likely take lyft to Brooklyn cruise terminal

14 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Can you explain what "Night Hotels" are?  Thanks

It's a brand name for two hotels.  I stayed at the Times Square Night Hotel last time I was in NYC and it was just $100 a night. The room was perfectly acceptable. Small and no frills but fine.  Google it and put it in the search bar in Google Maps.

Yes. Midtown is most convenient for most tourist sights and subway. There are thousands of hotel rooms in over a hundred (over 200?) hotels in midtown at all sorts of price levels in all sorts of styles. Use whatever search process you normally use and you'll find something appropriate that will be convenient for you (and probably more expensive than you first planned - also watch out for many extra taxes and charges). If you're flexible, the blind bidding sites like Priceline and Hotwire have some great deals (just be aware that their ratings tend to be inflated by about a half star, in my opinion) Also AirBnB  ...and since it came up, if I recall correctly, one of the Night Hotels on 44th or 45th has a lobby that's mostly swimming pool(?)

Personally, we swear by the Dial7 car service for transportation to/from the piers and airports. Great service, great prices, (google for first time discount code) book via phone, app, website. dial7.com ...also many swear by their direct competitor, Carmel carmellimo.com

The ferry is great for visitors to NY from Red Hook for the day, or if you're convenient to the Wall St pier in Manhattan. But from midtown, yes, your inclination is correct - better to just take a car all the way.

Edited by MarkBearSF