Luggage tags - for wine?

greenbeanie

We are carrying on our luggage and plan to bring 20 bottles of wine between us.  Will likely be in two case-size boxes.

We'd like to carry the luggage to our room, and have the wine delivered.  So, the questions are,

Can the wine be tagged as luggage with luggage tags?

If so, when delivered would it be placed inside our room, or in the hallway outside the room?

32 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

usually bags are left outside the room  so I suspect the wine boxes will be also

+1 though our experience (both with wine and luggage) is that if one leaves the cabin door ajar, the delivery person will generally knock and ask where you want the cases left.  

Note:  if you intend to use the wine at dinner, it may be sent to the ships' cellar where it will be properly stored (and chilled, if appropriate) until you call for it.

The OP didn’t stipulate which level of cabin they are in. If they arrive at noon and their cabin isn’t available until 3:00, the boxes will be outside of their cabin. No open doors available.

We never board before 2:30 - 3:00 so our cabin is typically available upon boarding. That provides different options. Actually, we typically go forward, where all the luggage is originally delivered, and collect our own luggage in lieu of waiting for the staff to deliver it to our door. The physical condition of some cruisers may prevent that.

Not a wine drinker but I would think that when and where you cruise might make a difference.

I don’t think you’d want your boxes of wine sit with other luggage on a deck in the sun at 90+F for hours; nor would all the shaking in transport be very good for it.

Maybe none of this matters?

• Like 1

I would  be inclined to take the wine onboard with me  & check the bags LOL

Maybe the check in desk people can have someone take the boxes to the ship's cellar

I only  take  1 or 2 bottle if any  so they go in my carry on

28 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I agree with Paul. That's why we use 6-bottle nylon wine bags similar to this:

image.thumb.png.ac7801157b1157372677e53c11afbd6b.png

We only take 1 case but these bags work great. Lightweight, reusable, foldable and washable.

Where do you buy these?

We got one at Total Wines in Miami, but we don't live near there.

Thanks!

GC

17 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

We got some of them from Whole Foods at no charge when buying 6 bottles or more. And a few others from wine shops or winery clubs.

I've seen them for sale in grocery stores for something like $4 - $5.

Thanks.

The one that Total WIne gave us was really convenient.

I hadn't seen them before.

Guess I need to keep my eyes open more!

GC

• Like 1

I would (have) definitely carry the wine and check the bags. The Oceania crew is fairly gentle with the luggage but I have observed the local port staff at a number of ports and it is often not pretty.  Seen them tossed into bins, stacked 10 high, set out in the sun, etc. You cannot control this and it is risky.  The above suggested carriers are fine and I have had wine stores pack 6 bottles in a cardboard box with handles (Carried two of these aboard in Southampton and Sydney).  If you have them boxed I have seen them placed on fold up luggage rollers (like a furniture dolly only tiny). Once aboard, if your cabin is not ready just set them next to the window in the Terrace and have lunch. 

Enjoy your wine!