Good restaurant in Southampton

On 4/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, piemom9397 said:

Might I ask for recommendations for restaurants around the hotel my DH booked - Room2 Southampton? Plus, any thoughts or feedback on the hotel itself? I’ve read reviews and it seems nice, but I’d be curious as to its location, safety, etc. We will be there the night before our cruise departs Sunday, September 1 of this year. 

Many thanks!

We are also staying at Room2 the same night. I think we must be on the same cruise.We are taking another cruise that ends on 8/31 and  we booked this hotel because it had self service laundry facilities.  Have you booked yours tours yet for the fiords, etc. 

Edited by wendyp247
wrong info

On 5/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, wendyp247 said:

We are also staying at Room2 the same night. I think we must be on the same cruise.We are taking another cruise that ends on 8/31 and  we booked this hotel because it had self service laundry facilities.  Have you booked yours tours yet for the fiords, etc. 

My DH booked the hotel based on reviews. Looking forward to it! 

We booked all of our excursions through Celebrity because we had onboard credit we could apply to the cost of the excursions. We are doing a RIB boat tour in Bergen, Strandafjell in Alesund, riding the train in Flam & hiking down, and hiking to Pulpit Rock in Stavenger. 

88 more days!! 😀

On 4/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, piemom9397 said:

Might I ask for recommendations for restaurants around the hotel my DH booked - Room2 Southampton? Plus, any thoughts or feedback on the hotel itself? I’ve read reviews and it seems nice, but I’d be curious as to its location, safety, etc. We will be there the night before our cruise departs Sunday, September 1 of this year. 

Many thanks!

JB has mentioned the location of the hotel and I really liked the location.

The hotel it’s self is really great. Absolutely loved the big rooms and kitchenette area even though Just staying for one night. 

You can choose your mattress and pillow type before you go and the bed was one of the most cofy I have slept in. 

The late check out is great if you are going on a cruise 

This would definitely be my hotel of choice in Southampton.

6 hours ago, pinkpanther52 said:

JB has mentioned the location of the hotel and I really liked the location.

The hotel it’s self is really great. Absolutely loved the big rooms and kitchenette area even though Just staying for one night. 

You can choose your mattress and pillow type before you go and the bed was one of the most cofy I have slept in. 

The late check out is great if you are going on a cruise 

This would definitely be my hotel of choice in Southampton.

That's good to hear.  We're planning to stay there between our British Isles cruise and our TA on the Queen Mary2.  We saw it when we were in Southampton last year, and it's in a great location, and the reviews are good.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our British Isles cruise May 22 (2 days early) to June 6, 2019.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Southampton and were satisfied - it was a typical Holiday Inn but we did enjoy the view of the harbor from the 7th floor.

One place I can highly recommend for dinner:  The Gate House 1833 (upstairs....not the Indian restaurant downstairs). It's in the domed building next to Mayflower Park.The food was outstanding!!!!   It was so good that we returned the next night.  Everything on the menu is exceptional - their cook definitely knows how to present a fabulous meal and there is a deck out back if the weather allows.

IMG_1891.JPG

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

We were in Southampton to visit with friends a couple of years ago, and they took us to La Tavernetta.  The food and service were very good.  it's a fairly casual atmosphere, we were all in jeans and that was fine.  I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Rudy888 said:

Has anyone eaten at the Platform Tavern. Probably a better lunch place.

Yes, a while back. Don't recall, so it was neither outstanding nor awful, nor was it overly-expensive. 

Same stable as the Dancing Man a couple of hundred yards away, but different atmosphere and menu.

More of a Sotonian's (resident of Southampton) pub-restaurant. Has music nights. There's plenty of other pubs & restaurants in the area so take a look-see at the place & the menu & decide on-the-spot.

But for lunch in good weather the Dancing Man is probably a better bet - outside tables.

JB :classic_smile: