Itinerary Change!!! - When do you plan on letting us all know, HAL ????

kazu

Too much said about this. When I looked at my express documents emailed on March 12, I didn’t notice the change in itinerary until I began to check in the other day. It did show the the change in itinerary but the map wasn’t changed. I didn’t pay attention to it until now. So HAL did know of this change before March 12 but chose not to make a big deal about it and didn’t notify us. 

Please....enough said. It is what it is. Please don’t jump on OP. She is only trying to be helpful. 

• Like 2

Ok,  I have not read  this thread word for word but several posters have documented passengers were notified of the change 30 days in advance if the port date.  What is wrong with that?  I’m not a cheerleader but I don’t see any HAL conspiracy or communication fail.   They have no idea and do not care when individuals are departing home on a multi leg trip prior to boarding a cruise.

i spent years working in corporate America in a professional capacity.  Decisions would be made but almost always there would be a time lag before partners, customers were notified.  Sometimes changes took effect immediately upon the announcement and I was very sympathetic of the impact on serious health matters.  

For the record, I have sailed eight cruise lines and I’m fairly sure port changes occurred  on most or all of them.  Notification times varied,  a couple times the ship literally turned around as we were going into port.  Once a port cancelled for a civil war, then it was added back on when civil unrest lessened.  We’ve had ports cancelled for civil unrest,  terminals under repair, port problems,  weather,  too much glacial ice, medical emergencies.  And there were cancelations for which there was no explanation.   We pretty much  rolled with the punches although we were deeply disappointed a couple times.  Such is life.  

Edited by sammiedawg
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, caribill said:

I do not agree here.

a) Instead of communicating with the vendor one time, you want HAL to do it two times. If communicating twice with passengers is too complicated for HAL, this is no different.

b) So if a passenger had booked an independent excursion and communicates with the vendor to confirm it, what are you proposing that the vendor tell the passenger before HAL gives permission?  Lie and say that "everything is OK?"

c) It is simple for HAL to notify the passengers as soon as possible that the port has been cancelled and say either "the new port will be xxxx and you will be notified when shore excursions are available" or that the port has been cancelled and "you will be notified when a substitute port has been arranged."

in this case the OP did not contact the vendor  the vendor initiated the communications.  they did so based on information received as part of their business relationship with HAL.

What should take place is for the vendor to 1. have coordinated when the information was going to be made public and timed their notification accordingly or 2. obtained the info from another source, that was not due to their contractual relationship with HAL and make the  notification then.

57 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

in this case the OP did not contact the vendor  the vendor initiated the communications. 

That's not true. OP was confirming arrangements prior to leaving home for the cruise when the vendor let her in on HAL's little secret.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gwilli said:

Too much said about this. When I looked at my express documents emailed on March 12, I didn’t notice the change in itinerary until I began to check in the other day. It did show the the change in itinerary but the map wasn’t changed. I didn’t pay attention to it until now. So HAL did know of this change before March 12 but chose not to make a big deal about it and didn’t notify us. 

Please....enough said. It is what it is. Please don’t jump on OP. She is only trying to be helpful. 

Why are you stating that HAL knew on or before March 12th when the OP herself said there was nothing in HAL's system showing until April 3rd?  You posted you received Notification from HAL on the 3rd to the change of Port as well as a notice of cancellation of your Ship Tour for cancelled Port stating they would reimburse your Credit Card. 

So again, really curious as to how exactly you know that "HAL did know about cancelling the Port before March 12 and chose not to make a big deal about it and didn't notify us" especially when OP said it wasn't showing in HAL's System until April 3rd!

• Like 1