Passau VS excursion to Cesky Krumlov

etravel

Trying to decide on our Avalon Legendary Danube cruise whether to chill out and do some sightseeing right in Passau where we dock..looks like some interesting sights...or to take the full day excursion to Cesky Kromlov which we hear so many good things about?! We are doing quite a few excursions, which is what has me thinking about staying close or whether to take the drive to see Cesky Kromlov...tough to decide! Is there plenty to see in Passau or would we be giving up on our chance to see Cesky? Thanks! 

That is a hard choice.  We had changed our mind as we knew we had a couple of longer days coming up and used the chance to see Passau with a walking tour and then on our own.  The walking tour showed us various areas where the high flood waters have impacted the city (there is one building near the water that has lines on it and shows how HIGH the water gets) and the one bridge has had water up to the bottom of it.  That is an image to stand there and think about.  Also learned about the history of the city.  We still had time for our own exploration and shopping. 

We then did Cesky Kromlov the next day and that was a worthwhile trip. It was a nice drive and the city is beautiful.  The buildings were amazing as was the history.   There is the usual shopping and check out the city mascot.   

I enjoyed both and would be hard to make a decision.

I would never run down my home town Passau with it's beautiful people well at least one ME. There are lots to see and do with history jumping out at you at every turn.

Krumau (Cesky Krumlov) is certainly worth a visit, the journey is about 2 hours each way from Passau.

Both have hills and cobbled stones, so comfortable shoes are recommended.

Suggest you read up on both places and decide what are priorities are.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy it.

I agree with G.M.T that there is not a bad  choice here and you will have a great day either way.  It is too bad that you cannot do both.  From my perspective, while I have nothing bad to say about Passau, I would have to say that Cesky Krumlov was one of the highlights of my Danube cruise.  It was one of the more memorable sites that I have been to in Europe.  We were in awe of the beauty of the town- the colorful buildings, tall towers, it was akin to a fairy tale.   Personally, I would not pass up an opportunity to visit.

Have a great cruise!

Bob 

• Like 2