Great day at 7 Mile Beach - March 2019

bandjwayne

We were on the Carnival Paradise & in Grand Cayman we had priority tendering because we were FTTF. A letter was in our room the night before saying what time to arrive at a lounge for priority boarding. This worked great we were off the ship in no time.

We walked to the bus station and took a bus (large van) for $2.50/person to 7 mile beach (by the public beach/Calico Jacks area). The driver was very friendly & stopped whenever requested. Once we got to the beach (~9:30 am) we were greeted by a guy who got us 2 lounge chairs & an umbrella right in front of the water for $20. We played in the gorgeous water & the kids tried the water trampoline (but that really was too hard to get onto, even for my active kids). My younger son enjoyed snorkeling for rocks...tip, get a full faced snorkel mask - SO much easier for the kids! We walked over to Calico Jacks for a few drinks and chicken strips. There were some food trucks set up in the public beach area, I was just a little nervous to get food from them for sanitary reasons. Once we had enough we took the bus back to the cruise terminal. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time as the traffic was kind of bad w/lots of ships in town.

d18d29f6d0c6c675036bec6096aeb6b5.jpg

Public Beach area on 7 Mile Beach (just down from Calico Jacks)

08a41863f5bd4190dd04b2572ee7f090.jpg

cb23eb22a6e038f70c03d9aac97d9b82.jpg. Plenty of space to throw the football right away - it did get much busier midday

59ad4f69de8dfcffbcfa3d0dfc14fc4d.jpg. 9 year old loved the full face snorkel mask -~$60 on Amazon

5a96b3b01daca1c344d445321add4db0.jpg. Lots of pretty rocks to pick up (& then throw back into the sea)

2dafec00e5b5c820aa41815363d9b31b.jpg

b146153fcdd58a6530b048141f63e6a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

Looks lovely. Are there any other public beach areas along there or are they all private?

Where is the bus station?

How did you get the bus back? Are there lots just milling around?

Thank you

The area the OP and kids went to is called Public Beach, it can be confusing. All of 7 Mile beach is public, you just can't go to a facility like Calico Jacks, Royal Palms or a Hotel and not pay for use of the facilities. The beach is free to use just bring a towel if you like. The city bus is a few blocks away from the pier, or just grab a cab or beach shuttle at the pier. There will be plenty of cabs and shuttles at all of the beach clubs and hotels. 

Edited by runner15km
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the report - love the pictures, too!  And FYI, a lot of those "rocks" were actually coral.  🙂

I have heard some safety concerns about the full face snorkel masks, though, but those I know who have used them have said that they are great.

And to echo - there are no private beaches on the Cayman Islands.  Beaches, even well about the high water mark and all for public use, even if they are privately owned.  Of course, that doesn't mean you can use people's stuff on the beaches like chairs, tables, etc., without patronizing their business.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:49 PM, bandjwayne said:

We were on the Carnival Paradise & in Grand Cayman we had priority tendering because we were FTTF. A letter was in our room the night before saying what time to arrive at a lounge for priority boarding. This worked great we were off the ship in no time.

We walked to the bus station and took a bus (large van) for $2.50/person to 7 mile beach (by the public beach/Calico Jacks area). The driver was very friendly & stopped whenever requested. Once we got to the beach (~9:30 am) we were greeted by a guy who got us 2 lounge chairs & an umbrella right in front of the water for $20. We played in the gorgeous water & the kids tried the water trampoline (but that really was too hard to get onto, even for my active kids). My younger son enjoyed snorkeling for rocks...tip, get a full faced snorkel mask - SO much easier for the kids! We walked over to Calico Jacks for a few drinks and chicken strips. There were some food trucks set up in the public beach area, I was just a little nervous to get food from them for sanitary reasons. Once we had enough we took the bus back to the cruise terminal. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time as the traffic was kind of bad w/lots of ships in town.

d18d29f6d0c6c675036bec6096aeb6b5.jpg

Public Beach area on 7 Mile Beach (just down from Calico Jacks)

08a41863f5bd4190dd04b2572ee7f090.jpg

cb23eb22a6e038f70c03d9aac97d9b82.jpg. Plenty of space to throw the football right away - it did get much busier midday

59ad4f69de8dfcffbcfa3d0dfc14fc4d.jpg. 9 year old loved the full face snorkel mask -~$60 on Amazon

5a96b3b01daca1c344d445321add4db0.jpg. Lots of pretty rocks to pick up (& then throw back into the sea)

2dafec00e5b5c820aa41815363d9b31b.jpg

b146153fcdd58a6530b048141f63e6a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the actual place you went is called (Public Beach ) ? How different is it to Calico Jacks ?

Not sure I got it. 

Thanks

Sea Ya

Eric

18 hours ago, nimiq said:

So the actual place you went is called (Public Beach ) ? How different is it to Calico Jacks ?

Not sure I got it. 

Thanks

Sea Ya

Eric

It’s essentially the same area.  Calico Jack’s is right next to Public Beach, on the other side of the parking lot.  You can see both easily on a google map.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, shark&minnow said:

Thank you! This is exactly what we are planning to do.

Same here will bring all the familly including my 87 years mom to the public beach beside the Calico Jacks

• 2 weeks later...

We took a bus across from the library and rode all the way the end of 7th mile beach and walk all the way back down to the port. Its only 5 miles one way.  In between I walk into some of the resort and take photos.  Some of them they dont allow you in.

I love it.