Can't decide!

Crunchymom

1 hour ago, Crunchymom said:

We leave in a couple weeks and still can't decide what to do! Our kids ages are 15, 12, 7, 3. Xcaret or Playa Mia water park?

I haven’t been to Playa but i have been to Xcaret, which is wonderful. However if I was you I would choose Playa.

Xcaret would be a really long day for a 3 year old. There is so much to do there I don’t see how a cruise ship excursion could do it justice. Also it is spread out and somewhat confusing at first (we had a 2-day pass). I think you would have a hard time satisfying that range of ages in the short time you would have. YMMV.

23 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I haven’t been to Playa but i have been to Xcaret, which is wonderful. However if I was you I would choose Playa.

Xcaret would be a really long day for a 3 year old. There is so much to do there I don’t see how a cruise ship excursion could do it justice. Also it is spread out and somewhat confusing at first (we had a 2-day pass). I think you would have a hard time satisfying that range of ages in the short time you would have. YMMV.

Thank you for your response. I did read it's a pretty big place and you can't get it done...so I didn't plan on covering the whole park. We mainly want to do the river and just walk leisurely around. Can you touch the bottom of the river? Is there fish in it? I really love the idea of Playa Mia, but my kids won't swim out to the inflatables....and we have the waterslides and all that on our ship. Then I read the buffet isn't all that great. My kids are good about walking...my youngest is actually almost 4 and used to walking all around Disney, so I THINK he'll be good. We're thinking of maybe bringing a cheap umbrella stroller. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, o-state girl said:

What about Chankanaab?  Animals for the kids to see, gardens to walk around, and a nice beach/lagoon area.

I agree.  Lots for kids, plus beach, pool and snorkel area all without the long trip ( only about a $12 can ride)

Edited by JohninDC

Xcaret is on the Mainland, so a long ferry ride and bus ride each way.  I wouldn't do that.

Like others mentioned, look at Chankanaab instead.  It is just a few minutes from the ports and lots to see and do, much cheaper and more time there rather than transportation time.

Playa Mia is just "ok" - the water park is nothing special, the beach is decent, the food is basically horrible.  They do have large, nice pools and the splash park for the 3 year old is really quite big with a lot of stuff.  It might not be a bad idea for you.

Xcaret, I'll echo what others have said.  It's a long ferry ride plus bus ride.  You wouldn't get all that much time at the park since you also have the bus and ferry ride back.

Chankanaab might be a good idea, too.

You said you like the idea of Playa Mia, would you mind elaborating on what you are personally looking for and what you like about it?  I'm curious as you also said you have the water park on the ship... so what about Playa Mia were you thinking you would like?

• 2 weeks later...

We went with Xcaret. It is nice there. We did the river tour which was iffy, lol. We didn't know until literally just before hopping in the water when we had to sign the waiver for our 3 year old that you can't touch the bottom because it's deep. And there's bats in the caves! Would we go there again...most likely no.