Dialysis at Sea

LynnTTT

This isn't a question, but something I just found out about.

A cousin just did a two week cruise and I was surprised because I knew her husband had daily dialysis.  Turns out that certain cruise lines and during certain cruises the ship has a hematologist, nurses and a complete dialysis lab!  No cheap and not covered by Medicare or private insurance, but it must be great for cruising.

I'm pretty sure the company was called Dialysis at Sea.

4 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

This isn't a question, but something I just found out about.

A cousin just did a two week cruise and I was surprised because I knew her husband had daily dialysis.  Turns out that certain cruise lines and during certain cruises the ship has a hematologist, nurses and a complete dialysis lab!  No cheap and not covered by Medicare or private insurance, but it must be great for cruising.

I'm pretty sure the company was called Dialysis at Sea.

Here is a link to the Disabled Cruising section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

GC

Yes...this has been around for a while.  It's great if you are traveling!  It does cost a bundle tho...and insurance doesn't cover it.  In America, once you're on dialysis, no matter your age, Medicare pays for your dialysis stuff...because no human...not even a super=rich person could afford what is charged.  (that doesn't mean Medicare PAYS what's charged....which makes me wonder how expensive it really is....been doing it for 3+ years now)....each treatment is charged between $4700.00 and $5400.00 per treatment...even if you do it at home, like we do, and have no paid medical professionals present....  

If hubby felt up to a cruise, we might consider it...but dialysis takes it out of you....the longer you're on it, the worse your health gets.  Fact.