Lucca or San Gimignano?

Huntingdon1701

Hi, 

Travelling on the Norwegian Epic in November and can't decide between tours to Lucca or San Gimignano. Can anyone give more insight into what is available in each place? And also how far are they from the port (my travelling companion gets car sick very easily). We tend to like historical stuff.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

on the Norwegian Epic in November and can't decide between tours to Lucca or San Gimignano. Can anyone give more insight into what is available in each place? And also how far are they from the port (my travelling companion gets car sick very easily). We tend to like historical stuff.

Thanks

That is tough!  Personally we favor San Gimignano and have actually stayed nearby on a couple of vacations.  But Lucca is also charming.  Both towns have walls although San G is better known for its Towers (most are long gone) and Lucca for its very preserved walls.  Lucca is quite a bit closer plus avoids the traffic around Florence (the main route to San G skirts Florence).  Both cities are old and historical.  If car sickness is an issue Lucca probably makes the most sense.  

The two towns are in completely different parts of Tuscany.  Tours to Lucca will sometimes also include a visit to Pisa.  Tours to San Gimignano might include lots of additional options (depending on the tour) since San G. is in a part of Tuscany with many popular tourist areas.  

What is available in each place?  They both have their share of restaurants and cafes as well as some shopping.  San Gimignano is probably slightly better for shopping although some would argue it has become too touristy (it is often overrun with day bus tours from both cruise ships and land tours).  Lucca is more popular with cruise ship passengers because it is closer to Livorno and also easily accessible by train.  San G. does not have direct train service.

Hank

• Like 1

You don't name your port, but Lucca is 40 mins from Livorno, San Gimignano is 1hr 20 mins.

Even bigger difference from La Spezia - under an hour to Lucca, 2 hrs to San Gimignano.

The centre of Lucca is an attractive & historic walled city. un-spoilt by development. Level walking, many pedestrian street and alleys.  All very pleasant but IMHO no particularly outstanding sights.

Sorry, haven't been to San Gimignano

JB :classic_smile:

I loved both but for different reasons.  Lucca has a wonderful old walled city central with a wide park along the wall.  It's easy to rent bikes and ride along the top of the wall. The rental includes a lock, so you can stop at any of the gates and walk inside the city center.   San Gimignano is quaint, and seemed smaller as far as the tourist area goes, with many piazzas, cafes, and shops.  My impression was that Lucca on the street level was denser with a better mix of tourist and local business, while San G seemed more open and predominantly tourist business centered.  Perhaps that was an artifact of where I went exactly in each city.  I don't think either is so much better it would warrant an extra hour travel time over the other.  I'd pick the closest one.