Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

The difficulties of doing so can be exaggerated. Every day, countless thousands of people travel with their luggage on trains of these kinds all around London and up and down the country.

Although the commuter trains between London and Southampton have no dedicated luggage space, there will be plenty of space so long as you're not trying to do the journey during peak hours in the direction of the peak traffic (which is very tidal).

There are some Tube journeys which would be more difficult with luggage because you would have to carry it up and down stairs with no assistance from lifts (elevators) or escalators. Also, safely wrangling luggage on escalators involves some situational awareness. But there are plenty of Tube journeys which are absolutely straightforward with luggage. Outside peak hours, there is usually plenty of space for luggage. On some trains (for example, the Piccadilly Line) there is space that is designed for luggage, even though it is not dedicated to it.

What is incontestable is that if you want an easy life, a door-to-door car transfer would fit the bill. But that privilege has to be paid for.

Worth noting that many tube stations are step free.  Full details including maps are available here: https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/wheelchair-access-and-avoiding-stairs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boerneDQ said:

We are arriving in LHR on July 10 and wanting a private transfer to our Southampton hotel.  Which companies are recommended?  There will only be 2 of us.

charlotte

As indicated elsewhere we used Meadway. Very responsive.  Always answered my emails promptly.  Pick up was on-time.  

A number of operator recommendations in this thread if you scroll back. Ignore any mentions of Smiths for Airports - if you scroll that far back, they were a casualty of the pandemic.

After the pandemic break, the fuel price-hike and the late 2022 jump in living costs, the cost of a private transfer Heathrow to Southampton seems to have settled at around £120 to £130, so I suggest you avoid any quoting much more

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, John Bull said:

A number of operator recommendations in this thread if you scroll back. Ignore any mentions of Smiths for Airports - if you scroll that far back, they were a casualty of the pandemic.

After the pandemic break, the fuel price-hike and the late 2022 jump in living costs, the cost of a private transfer Heathrow to Southampton seems to have settled at around £120 to £130, so I suggest you avoid any quoting much more

JB 🙂

All quotes I have received start at 140 and up. Blackberry Cabs was the most at 183.

49 minutes ago, nini said:

All quotes I have received start at 140 and up. Blackberry Cabs was the most at 183.

Thanks for that nini.

Were the higher quotes from airport-based operators? I ask because my experience that local operators (eg the Southampton or Dover end) tend to be better value as well as more-personal service. 

Blackberry was the one airport-based operator recommended by folk on Cruise Critic, and their rates were comparable to those based in / near Southampton.

But after three years of pandemic, fuel price-hikes and high inflation when all rates rose quite steeply, Blackberry's quotes went off the scale 😮 

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, nini said:

I have a friend who used Blackberry and I got a bid from them.  Was a little high.  The reason I chose Meadway was how much prompter they were in responding to my emails. My friend's family had also used them for years and highly recommended them.

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I have a friend who used Blackberry and I got a bid from them.  Was a little high.  The reason I chose Meadway was how much prompter they were in responding to my emails. My friend's family had also used them for years and highly recommended them.

Is that per person ? 

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Thanks for that nini.

Were the higher quotes from airport-based operators? I ask because my experience that local operators (eg the Southampton or Dover end) tend to be better value as well as more-personal service. 

Blackberry was the one airport-based operator recommended by folk on Cruise Critic, and their rates were comparable to those based in / near Southampton.

But after three years of pandemic, fuel price-hikes and high inflation when all rates rose quite steeply, Blackberry's quotes went off the scale 😮 

JB 🙂

This was for Blackberry Cars, Majestic Taxis, Meadway, Limo. All were at 143.00 but Blackerry was at 183.00.

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

Thanks for that nini.

JB 🙂

Also Gunwarf Executive Cars.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:41 PM, clojacks said:

We are sailing into and out of Southampton on the same day, but on 2 different lines. Cruising into Southampton Celebrity, disembarking and then embarking on Princess. Any suggestions for getting from Terminal to Terminal?

I've noticed I didn't get any response on this in the past month so I thought I would bring it back up to a more recent point.

22 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I've noticed I didn't get any response on this in the past month so I thought I would bring it back up to a more recent point.

Check your cruise terminals here

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule

Celebrity normally berth at City Cruise Terminal (berth 101)

Princess at either Ocean Cruise Terminal (46)(just under a mile), or Mayflower (berth 105/6)(about the same), both walkable on level ground. But sometimes QE 11 Terminal (38/39) about 1.5 miles including dock road without sidewalk & you're strongly advised to take a taxi. 

Taxis available at all terminals but there's no restriction on walking.

https://goo.gl/maps/QtgdYJAaohrL1KES6

Your problem is that you'll be chased off your Celebrity ship by about 9.30 to 10am & boarding your Princess ship isn't til gone 11.30am.

It's worth checking whether you can drop your luggage early - facilities in the Terminals are very basic, no other facilities in the docks, and only a couple of cafes or hotels to hang out at.

Start by posting back with your Terminals. 

JB 🙂

4 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Celebrity normally berth at City Cruise Terminal (berth 101)

Princess at either Ocean Cruise Terminal (46)(just under a mile), or Mayflower (berth 105/6)(about the same), both walkable on level ground. But sometimes QE 11 Terminal (38/39) about 1.5 miles including dock road without sidewalk & you're strongly advised to take a taxi. 

Taxis available at all terminals but there's no restriction on walking.

https://goo.gl/maps/QtgdYJAaohrL1KES6

Start by posting back with your Terminals. 

JB 🙂

Thanks JB. We arrive back on Celebrity at Berth 101 of City Terminal and board Princess at Berth 46 of Ocean Terminal. keeping in mind we will have luggage for about 3-4 weeks of travel, walking/dragging isn't top on our list of things to do. On the other hand, I feel guilty asking a taxi/Uber to take us less than a mile. But considering I will be only 4 months post total knee surgery, that sounds like the best options?

Walking or taxi/Uber are your only options. There are no inter-terminal buses. 

True, the taxi driver probably won’t love you - but the rail station, which is probably the most popular destination, isn’t that much further so they’re well used to short trips.

23 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Thanks JB. We arrive back on Celebrity at Berth 101 of City Terminal and board Princess at Berth 46 of Ocean Terminal. keeping in mind we will have luggage for about 3-4 weeks of travel, walking/dragging isn't top on our list of things to do. On the other hand, I feel guilty asking a taxi/Uber to take us less than a mile. But considering I will be only 4 months post total knee surgery, that sounds like the best options?

Uber won't want to know, but liveried white taxis on the rank at the cruise terminal are obliged to accept anyone travelling within the city limit, your ride will probably be about £6. Driver won't mind, he'll probably join the rank at Ocean Terminal.

If you need to waste an hour or two there's a Starbucks on Town Quay, halfway between those cruise terminals. And a taxi rank less than 200 yards further up Town Quay - when you want to go, one of you can go get it & bring it to Starbucks. Again, super-short hop, and again no worries about  that.

JB 🙂

West Quay Cars

We are staying at the Hilton Bankside and will be looking for transportation to Southampton on May 3rd.  Looks like West Quay Cars is a great option; a couple of questions:

Any reviews / comments on this plan?

Should I reserve a car in advance?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

20 hours ago, metla said:

West Quay Cars

We are staying at the Hilton Bankside and will be looking for transportation to Southampton on May 3rd.  Looks like West Quay Cars is a great option; a couple of questions:

Any reviews / comments on this plan?

Should I reserve a car in advance?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

West Quay are a long-established & reputable Southampton organisation, frequently recommended here on Cruise Critic.

Yes, for any operator you should get a fixed quote and book well in advance for this sort of distance - you don't want to be hunting for a ride or negotiating last-minute with operators or with Uber. 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

6 hours ago, WhenIsOurNextCruise said:

We are a group of 8 looking for recommendations for a comfortable and spacious car/van service from our hotel in Covent Garden to Southampton.  Would prefer one vehicle for all of us plus luggage.  Thanks

Meadway had several sizes of vehicles. 

8 hours ago, John Bull said:

West Quay are a long-established & reputable Southampton organisation, frequently recommended here on Cruise Critic.

Yes, for any operator you should get a fixed quote and book well in advance for this sort of distance - you don't want to be hunting for a ride or negotiating last-minute with operators or with Uber. 

JB 🙂

Ok thank you for the info.

On 3/15/2023 at 3:36 PM, The Chandlers said:

We will be staying in London for 2 nights after our cruise.  I've been reading about transportation options.  We are not interested in doing the ship's transfer so we are looking at either a car service or the train.  We will be traveling with my husband's parents and our 7 year old son.  Would love to hear the pros and cons of both options so we can make the best decision for our family.  Thanks so much!

If I were you, I would hire a cab service. The companies I know about (through CC), are West Quay Cars, Gunwharf Executive Travel, and Blackberry Cars.

We have only used Blackberry, however, we will most likely use one of the others due to the cost difference.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, Senga said:

Gunwharf Executive Travel, which has excellent reviews, quoted 140 GBP for a private transfer for 2 people from LHR to Southampton.

This month, we were quoted 145 GBP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow cruisers,  I’ve been trying to read through this whole thread as I was looking for a car service to get us from LHR to the Nine Elms area by the Battlesea Power Station on May 15th and then from there to Southampton on the 20th.  Based on all of the comments I read I felt comfortable booking both rides with Meadway.  I handled everything via email and didn’t have to pay in advance.  I am very impressed with their responsiveness and the quotes I received to take 5 senior ladies with luggage and a large rollator/walker.  They booked an 8-seater MPV for the rides.

I need advice on one last segment for our time in London.  We have a tour scheduled and already paid for on Wednesday May 17th with Evans Evans tour group to Stonehenge and Bath.  We have to get from Thessaly House (Nine Elms area) to the Victoria Coach Station to get the bus for our tour.  We are supposed to meet at the Welcome desk by gates 1 and 2 at 7:45am (not sure what time to be picked up due to traffic, but I told the ladies it would be really early).  

Due to the walker/rollator and the tube station locations I don't think the tube will work.  Does anyone have any ideas on how or who I should contact to arrange for a ride for the 5 of us to get to and from Victoria Coach Station?  I checked with Meadway, but they don’t service that type of trip.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Kathy

4 hours ago, cruisegirlkat said:

Hello fellow cruisers,  I’ve been trying to read through this whole thread as I was looking for a car service to get us from LHR to the Nine Elms area by the Battlesea Power Station on May 15th and then from there to Southampton on the 20th.  Based on all of the comments I read I felt comfortable booking both rides with Meadway.  I handled everything via email and didn’t have to pay in advance.  I am very impressed with their responsiveness and the quotes I received to take 5 senior ladies with luggage and a large rollator/walker.  They booked an 8-seater MPV for the rides.

I need advice on one last segment for our time in London.  We have a tour scheduled and already paid for on Wednesday May 17th with Evans Evans tour group to Stonehenge and Bath.  We have to get from Thessaly House (Nine Elms area) to the Victoria Coach Station to get the bus for our tour.  We are supposed to meet at the Welcome desk by gates 1 and 2 at 7:45am (not sure what time to be picked up due to traffic, but I told the ladies it would be really early).  

Due to the walker/rollator and the tube station locations I don't think the tube will work.  Does anyone have any ideas on how or who I should contact to arrange for a ride for the 5 of us to get to and from Victoria Coach Station?  I checked with Meadway, but they don’t service that type of trip.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Kathy

Any London taxi (they’re known as black cabs) will seat 5 passengers and has wide doors and room for a walker plus luggage. They’re very spacious.

Or - Uber (choose an Uber XL which seats 6).

Or - you could try booking a Select+ car with https://www.addisonlee.com

With good traffic it’s a 15 minute journey so I would aim to leave between 7 and 7.15am to allow for rush hour (although you should beat the worst of it).

Edited by gumshoe958