Easter Island

Ep010835

In looking at the SA cruises that have been released, I see that none of the cruises visit Easter Island. In the past there has been one that leaves Port Everglades, goes westbound through to Panama Canal then cruises along the west coast of SA eventually stopping at Easter Island then debarking in San Antonio. 

I called Princess and, of course, nothing learned there. 

Has anyone here heard anything about this sailing? Maybe being added to the list of available cruises sometime later in the year?

11 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

In looking at the SA cruises that have been released, I see that none of the cruises visit Easter Island. In the past there has been one that leaves Port Everglades, goes westbound through to Panama Canal then cruises along the west coast of SA eventually stopping at Easter Island then debarking in San Antonio. 

I called Princess and, of course, nothing learned there. 

Has anyone here heard anything about this sailing? Maybe being added to the list of available cruises sometime later in the year?

The Island Princess has one that leaves on January 9, 2020 from Ft Lauderdale to San Antonio, Chile

Days

Ports

I apologize. I should’ve been clearer. I’m all booked up through the spring of 21. I noticed that the Princess calendar for 2021 only goes out through April.

I’m wondering if there may be a cruise to Easter island In late spring 2021 and beyond. 

5 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I apologize. I should’ve been clearer. I’m all booked up through the spring of 21. I noticed that the Princess calendar for 2021 only goes out through April.

I’m wondering if there may be a cruise to Easter island In late spring 2021 and beyond. 

I think the rest of 2021 should open up in May.

3 hours ago, CRUZGAL53 said:

I think the rest of 2021 should open up in May.

21 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Still more announcements to come you think in the waning days of May??

I hope so!

Extremely unlikely. Every ship accounted for through April/May 2021 with only one (Coral) sailing South America. Only thing coming will be an update on Pacific Princess as her anticipated Cuba cruises have been scuttled. Summer/Fall 2021 will be released in November or December.

Though since the Antarctica pass-bys will almost certainly cease after the final ones in January 2021, perhaps 2022 will see the return of the full circumnavigation of South America including Easter Island. Check back a year from now.

Edited by fishywood

40 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Extremely unlikely. Every ship accounted for through April/May 2021. Summer/Fall 2021 will be released in November or December.

40 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Extremely unlikely. Every ship accounted for through April/May 2021. Summer/Fall 2021 will be released in November or December.

There is nothing listed for So America in 2021 yet.

9 minutes ago, CRUZGAL53 said:

There is nothing listed for So America in 2021 yet.

The 2020-21 South America season on Coral Princess opened for booking yesterday, May 15 (the day before for Elite members). 

Edited by fishywood

1 minute ago, fishywood said:

The 2020-21 South America season on Coral Princess opened for booking today (yesterday for Elite members). Have you checked since 9 AM PT?

Yes, sir. Just this minute. There are 6 SA cruises listed (all on Coral) but none of them go to Easter Island nor along the west coast of SA (save from Cape Horn to San Antonio). 

Guess I'll just have to be patient. (Something I'm not really good at!)

Just now, Ep010835 said:

Yes, sir. Just this minute. There are 6 SA cruises listed (all on Coral) but none of them go to Easter Island nor along the west coast of SA (save from Cape Horn to San Antonio). 

Guess I'll just have to be patient. (Something I'm not really good at!)

Has been duly noted that no ship is doing the full circumnavigation of South America (which often calls at Easter Island) in the 2020-21 season. But the Cape Horn/Antarctica cruises during that time are open for booking; I was merely pointing that out to the person claiming otherwise.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of those who plan far in advance and anticipate release dates with baited breath. I'm a notorious last minute booker so I just lack that particular brand of empathy.

3 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Has been duly noted that no ship is doing the full circumnavigation of South America (which often calls at Easter Island) in the 2020-21 season. But the Cape Horn/Antarctica cruises during that time are open for booking; I was merely pointing that out to the person claiming otherwise.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of those who plan far in advance and anticipate release dates with baited breath. I'm a notorious last minute booker so I just lack that particular brand of empathy.

Understood. We have the FLL - SCL trip booked for Dec of this year but couldn't figure out a way to add the west coast of SA routing during this year or next so as to be able to visit Easter Island. 

I'm one of the fools who is sitting by the computer the moment early bookings open. It's a sickness! 🤪

3 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Understood. We have the FLL - SCL trip booked for Dec of this year but couldn't figure out a way to add the west coast of SA routing during this year or next so as to be able to visit Easter Island. 

I'm one of the fools who is sitting by the computer the moment early bookings open. It's a sickness! 🤪

Easter Island is one of the ports on the Sea Princess round the world cruise. One possibility for you would be a segment of this cruise. It also calls at Pitcairn (locals come on board but passengers don't go ashore), Tahiti & Bora Bora (stunning scenery), Bay of Islands and Auckland (NZ) then on to Sydney with its gorgeous harbour.

It has been estimated that rough seas prevent passengers going ashore on Easter Island in about 50% of planned visits. If you are really keen to visit Easter Island maybe you would be better to plan a land tour, flying in from South America.

12 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Doubtful. This will be fall/winter season. Princess moves ships north at that time to Alaska, Europe & Asia. Ships return to S.A. in Oct./Nov.

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Easter Island is one of the ports on the Sea Princess round the world cruise. One possibility for you would be a segment of this cruise. It also calls at Pitcairn (locals come on board but passengers don't go ashore), Tahiti & Bora Bora (stunning scenery), Bay of Islands and Auckland (NZ) then on to Sydney with its gorgeous harbour.

It has been estimated that rough seas prevent passengers going ashore on Easter Island in about 50% of planned visits. If you are really keen to visit Easter Island maybe you would be better to plan a land tour, flying in from South America.

Yikes! Spending that much $ with only a 50/50 chance of going ashore is daunting. The land idea is worth considering. Thanks much. 

There is also a once weekly flight between Papeete and Easter Island. If you happen to be doing a cruise ending in Papeete, this is a great way to get there. We opted to go this route, because the 50% miss rate by ship was a little scary for us. The weekly flights from Papeete actually give you about 6 days on the island, which, frankly, were perfect for us, but you could also return to Santiago on a daily flight.  One day by cruise ship will barely allow you to do a cursory overview of Rano Raraku, Tongariki and Orongo. There are many more sites to explore.