Boston: walking back to ship from JFK Library?

Turtles06

We have a port call in Boston coming up in September, and are thinking of visiting the JFK Library.  I've read the threads on here about how to get there (and back of course) from the cruise terminal using public transportation, cabs, and Uber.   According to Google maps, we'd be about 3.3 miles from the cruise terminal if we wanted to walk back by the most direct route, and more than that I imagine via the Harborwalk.

Would either of those walking routes pose any safety issues during the day?  Any tips about points of interest along that part of the Harborwalk or the more direct route?

Thanks for any information, as always!

That's about an hour walk from JFK to Black Falcon, by the shortest route.  Not a real good area, but not the worst either.  Not much to see for most of the way, Joe Mokley park hasn't been started on the renovation yet, not much different view of bay than at the library.  I enjoyed Castle Island and Pleasure Bay.  Lots of wind and kite surfers in the bay, and Fort Independence gets you your history lesson for Boston.  I'd Uber from JFK to Marine Park at Castle Island, walk the bay walk counter-clockwise, see the fort, have a beer at Sullivan's and walk back to Black Falcon (40 minutes, mostly commercial rather than residential).

Be aware that you can get carried away at the library, and lose track of time.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That's about an hour walk from JFK to Black Falcon, by the shortest route.  <snip>

Thanks Chief, I appreciate all the info, and your tip about losing track of time in the library!

checkkp75 hit the nail on the head.  3.3 miles but it's a long 3.3 miles.  Some goes along a beach, but it's not the Boston Harbor that you're thinking of.  There's not much to see at all along the walk since you'll be surrounded by tons of traffic (Boston drivers cannot drive and do not pay attention to 90% of the road rules)  After you leave the water you go through a residential area and then close to the Port it's industrial.  I'd get an Uber or a taxi instead.  

I second what chengkp advised, except would put walk at hour and a half, only danger is the traffic while crossing streets.

when uberring back to the seaport they have a legal seafood test kitchen right by the World Trade Center, if you like clam chowder that is where I would have Uber drop you off and it is about 15-20 minutes to walk back to ship from there, enjoy your trip and Boston !!