Getting off at one port and on at another

alyssamma

This is for a European cruise. Does anyone know if it is possible to get off at one port and get on at another port the following day?

The reason for this would be to allow more time in the place visited.

I am specifically thinking about doing this in the Baltic ports.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I know that isn't much of an option in the Caribbean without arranging with the ship crew.  Some cruise lines cancel your account if you don't turn up when the ship sails from dock. Some nightmare accounts from a guy who missed the ship with his family onboard and then getting back on board a day or two later in a different port and country. Ships do a passenger manifest and deal with the day visas, etc. If both ports are within EU, may be more possible as it wouldn't change the paperwork, but it still doesn't mean it won't affect ship's access, accounts, cards, etc.

You would want a clear answer from the cruise line and again from a senior officer once on board - I would think.

8 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Yes if there is a mixture of EU and non EU countries.

Agreed

In theory, if you "missed" your ship, it's your responsibility to get yourself to the next port of call, where you may return

So it leads me to think you could, but I would arrange in advance, obviously confirming it's not an issue, and then once onboard, I'd double check with GS....then you can clarify that you got it cleared at booking

13 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Yes if there is a mixture of EU and non EU countries.

Ahhh...yeah, that makes sense. I said above Baltic ports, which I realize wasn't 100% clear, but I meant Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia - all EU.

I've seen on other cruise lines this is possible so long as you arrange with the ship beforehand. However, before dealing with MSC, which will be a nightmare, I was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with this.

26 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Ahhh...yeah, that makes sense. I said above Baltic ports, which I realize wasn't 100% clear, but I meant Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia - all EU.

I've seen on other cruise lines this is possible so long as you arrange with the ship beforehand. However, before dealing with MSC, which will be a nightmare, I was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with this.

There must be other countries / ports on your cruise, ships do not just visit these three countries.

Also the port where you want to re-embark could be missed because of bad weather or whatever.

I personally would not do it for the sake of a day or two. If it is so important then do a land tour before or after your cruise.

33 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

There must be other countries / ports on your cruise, ships do not just visit these three countries.

Also the port where you want to re-embark could be missed because of bad weather or whatever.

I personally would not do it for the sake of a day or two. If it is so important then do a land tour before or after your cruise.

Obviously there are other ports, but these are the ports I am interested in doing this for.

I understand you may not wish to do this...but that wasn't my Q. I was asking if anyone knows if this is possible and if they've done it.

31 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Obviously there are other ports, but these are the ports I am interested in doing this for.

I understand you may not wish to do this...but that wasn't my Q. I was asking if anyone knows if this is possible and if they've done it.

Good luck with getting an answer, I know, but I'm out of here.

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

I know that isn't much of an option in the Caribbean without arranging with the ship crew.  Some cruise lines cancel your account if you don't turn up when the ship sails from dock. Some nightmare accounts from a guy who missed the ship with his family onboard and then getting back on board a day or two later in a different port and country. Ships do a passenger manifest and deal with the day visas, etc. If both ports are within EU, may be more possible as it wouldn't change the paperwork, but it still doesn't mean it won't affect ship's access, accounts, cards, etc.

You would want a clear answer from the cruise line and again from a senior officer once on board - I would think.

Yeah, agreed...Caribbean would be basically no go. But I was hoping that within the EU this was possible.

I guess I will have to call MSC...just hoping to avoid that for now :)