Sending Mail from the QM2

AnnintheGarden

I understand you can send mail from the QM2 by putting your letter or postcard in a mailbox.

I wanted to know if you are able to purchase postcards and postage on the QM2 and if so where?

My girls would like to send their father postcards.

• Like 1

I asked *exactly* this question last year. Posting Letters on the QM2 . We bought postcards in the book shop. There is a red post box near the Purser’s Office. Give it a try. Use the postage for wherever your destination is (I.e. If New York use US stamps, if Southampton, use British). Good luck. So far my postcards never made it to their destination, but one never knows...It was fun to try, anyway.

33 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

I understand you can send mail from the QM2 by putting your letter or postcard in a mailbox.

I wanted to know if you are able to purchase postcards and postage on the QM2 and if so where?

My girls would like to send their father postcards.

10 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We use GS, take your cards to the desk, pay postage and small fee.  Cards do arrive with the addition of a special QM2 postmark.

Addendum

There will be a few QM2 ship postcards inside your black information folio (stateroom), together with Cunard writing paper and Cunard envelopes.

If you require additional items, just ask your stateroom attendant.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Addendum

A couple of years ago we gave four postcards to the purser on the Queen Victoria when we were in St Petersburg.We paid the fee but none arrived.From other threads I think you have about a 50% chance of anything arriving

We were on a 29 night USA and Canada trip. I handed cards to the pursers desk and paid the postage before we reached New York, so 3 weeks before we were due home. The cards arrived 3 weeks after we arrived home.

I have a postcard from the QM2 on my fridge right now. I posted it to myself in August the day before we arrived at Southampton. I used my own stamps and just got the Pursers Desk to stamp the postcard to mark that it was posted on board.

Previously I've posted postcards on board but not got them stamped at the Pursers Desk and they showed up like any other card posted from Southampton. I have only ever posted at Southampton so I can't comment on the arrival of post from other ports.

I recently posted cards in the British postbox outside the Golden Lion, 2 days before arriving into New York, using US stamps I'd taken with me.  We arrived into NY on a Sunday - the card I sent to a US address arrived by the end of that week, those I sent to UK addresses only took a few days longer and they all turned up.

The only postcards I could find were those in the cabin.  When I asked about postcards to buy, the man in the bookshop said they were the only ones available and suggested I ask the Purser's Desk for more, which I did.  I was surprised and disappointed as I'd expected there to be a selection for sale, both photographic and perhaps some based on old advertising posters.