Balcony, Mini-Suite, or Spa Mini-Suite

Beardface

We're currently booked on the Encore a year from now, and, because its most likely our last trip we're going to take without kids for a very long time, we're looking to spoil ourselves a little bit.  Right now we're currently booked on a Balcony (BA) but because we're looking to spoil ourselves a bit, we've had our eyes on the Mini-Suites.  Now, I know the only difference between the Mini-Suite and the Balcony is the larger bathroom with double faucets and a larger shower with body jets.  For those who have been in them, is that really worth the extra $150 per person?  We have a lot saved up, so money really isn't that much of an issue for us right now, so it really just comes down to whether those differences are even worth the price.  Then again, we also want to spoil ourselves in the Thermal Spa for the week (I'm assuming and I've read that the Encore will have one, despite the addition of the Galaxy Pavilion, keeping my fingers crossed there), and we're looking to get those passes, but then again, there's also the Spa Mini-Suite option as well that looks enticing.  At only $150 more than the regular Mini-Suite, it could solve all our needs.

Here's why I need the advice.  I called up NCL last week, and the nice lady I spoke with on the phone talked me out of the upgrade.  I was stunned.  I was ready to give NCL more money and she basically went 'no, keep it, just get the spa pass on the ship, its not worth the upgrade from the balcony'.  She also said, for the amount we were looking to spend on this upgrade (would be a complete total of $640 to upgrade... as I said, money isn't a big thing for us right now) we would be better off keeping that in our back pockets and using it to bid on the Haven.  I'll be honest, the amount for the upgrade to the Spa Mini Suite is acceptable for us, but the thought of the Haven is intriguing, but with it being a new ship and a sailing out of NYC, what are the odds that would even get us to qualify, and on top of that, we would still need to buy the spa passes, and throw in additional money for butler/concierge tips, which we probably wouldn't use much at all.

If you were in my position, as someone who has probably sailed on this Breakaway Plus class before, what would you suggest.

I'm following this thread because we too are booked on the Encore next year & looking to spoil ourselves this one time. I went with the mini suite w/ large balcony because I really love having the balcony, but am curious to see what others have to say about the choices you gave. Hoping others have some great responses here.

Afternoon, having stayed in a Balcony, Spa Balcony, Mini suite, Spa Mini Suite and Haven Spa suite on the Breakaway classes I would say either Upgrade to a Spa Balcony (cheaper then a mini suite usually but you get the thermal suite perks). A mini suite in my opinion isnt worth it unless you desperately want that shower and for the money you are being quoted instead of the mini suite hold out for a upgrade bid to the haven. So first choice would be Spa Balcony , second hold out for a bid to haven.

Hope this helps 

3 minutes ago, Owenred said:

Afternoon, having stayed in a Balcony, Spa Balcony, Mini suite, Spa Mini Suite and Haven Spa suite on the Breakaway classes I would say either Upgrade to a Spa Balcony (cheaper then a mini suite usually but you get the thermal suite perks). A mini suite in my opinion isnt worth it unless you desperately want that shower and for the money you are being quoted instead of the mini suite hold out for a upgrade bid to the haven. So first choice would be Spa Balcony , second hold out for a bid to haven.

Hope this helps 

Is $650 even a reasonable bid for the Haven given the newness of this ship and that its out of NYC?

Also, you made me realize I was only looking at the Spa Balcony prices.  The Spa Mini Suite would actually be $100 more pp, so we'd be looking at $840 more to upgrade.

Me personally I wouldn't pay $650 for the upgrade to Spa Balcony from Balcony , if you really want to use the spa purchase the passes online before you cruise, will be cheaper then getting a spa room (not really any extras in the room) 

I'm not to sure about the upgrade prices when it comes to the upgrade scheme, we used to us a T/A who never signed up to it so have only ever had one offer sent to us.

52 minutes ago, Owenred said:

Me personally I wouldn't pay $650 for the upgrade to Spa Balcony from Balcony , if you really want to use the spa purchase the passes online before you cruise, will be cheaper then getting a spa room (not really any extras in the room) 

I'm not to sure about the upgrade prices when it comes to the upgrade scheme, we used to us a T/A who never signed up to it so have only ever had one offer sent to us.

Hmm yeah.  The more I think about it, its probably not worth the additional money.  Its interesting that the rooms come with the spa access actually end up costing more than just getting a regular one of those rooms and buying the spa passes separately.  You'd think it would be the other way around.

I'll have to look more into this bidding process.  Its completely foreign to me having not sailed NCL in 20+ years, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect with it.

Spa passes are $200 per person so the $650 is way too much. We always book minis for the larger shower. The extra space in the shower is great when you don’t move so good any more. 

We never sail sail without having spa passes, so we get that with a spa room or a regular room with purchased passes. 

• Like 1

I have only been in the Mini Suites on the Away class ships...they are definitely worth the extra to the Bride and I...the extra space is very nice and makes the bathroom seem more like a regular bathroom than a penalty box you see in many rooms. 

The Spa...now that's your call..it's not my bag.  

You should bid on a spa mini suite when the time comes or even a spa balcony. Paying to upgrade to a mini suite is really not worth the cost. When you bid, don't bid more than the cost of the spa pass, for a spa balcony or spa mini suite.

If the mini bathrooms are the same on Encore as they are on the Away ships, it is NOT worth it.  Yes, the jets are nice, but the jets in the thermal pool in the spa are much nicer.  Spend your money on the spa passes.  And, if money is not an issue, put in a nice bid for the Haven which is definitely worth paying a premium for.  

47 minutes ago, gizfish said:

If the mini bathrooms are the same on Encore as they are on the Away ships, it is NOT worth it.  Yes, the jets are nice, but the jets in the thermal pool in the spa are much nicer.  Spend your money on the spa passes.  And, if money is not an issue, put in a nice bid for the Haven which is definitely worth paying a premium for.  

52 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You should bid on a spa mini suite when the time comes or even a spa balcony. Paying to upgrade to a mini suite is really not worth the cost. When you bid, don't bid more than the cost of the spa pass, for a spa balcony or spa mini suite.

I really need to look into this bidding process more.  Is it like a silent auction online?  And is there anything to make it clear on what is needed for a first timer through it?

Also, what do Haven bids usually go for?  I think we would only look at the lowest value, which I guess is the Haven Spa Suite with Balcony.  I know its a complete crapshoot, but any information or pointers here would be more than I currently know.

Edited by Beardface

We normally book a mini suite and have never been given the option to bid on spa mini suite only Haven We now check prices when booking if close to price of spa pass we book spa mini suite. Once in mini suite you will not go back to balcony