Grand Princess 2/4/06 tickets

captlou

Hello everyone. I just wanted to see if you know of anyone who can take a cruise at the last minute. We're booked on the Grand for the February 4th sailing. BC class, cabin B335. It's a balcony room on the Baja deck.

For the first time in 13 years of cruising, we didn't take trip insurance. We would have taken the cruise if one of us had crawl to the ship, but we have had a catastrophe occur.

One would think that when a customer called a company like Princess, and told them that their son was murdered, that they would step up and do whatever was neccesary to help. Unfortunately I spoke to three automotons at Princess, and was told that the best they could do was allow us to change the names on the tickets. In other words, if we could sell our tickets a week before the cruise (while also dealing with detectives, coroners, and a mortuary), we could change the passenger names with no penalty.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post them here. I will be checking email frequently. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone here on the board, but right now I just need to vent.

Captlou,

You have my deepest sympathies, what a tragic thing to happen. I can't help you with the sale of the tickets but wanted to offer my condolances.

Is there anyway they would let you change to another date?

Good Luck and God Bless

Mary

Oh dear Captlou, I'm sorry. My deepest sympathies also. I'm sure you don't have the energy now but perhaps when you feel better you may try to contact the higher ups and maybe they can help you. If anyone knows of someone at Princess that may be able to help, please post it.

If anyone has any connections at Princess Corporate now is the time to call in a favor. This terrible situation warrants the cruise critic community to assist this family and see if anything can be done. How unfortunate Princess doesn't have a severe emergency escape policy.

Captlou, our hearts are with you.

I work in Houston at a company with more than 8,000 people at headquarters. I'll post something tomorrow on the online bulletin board.

It's a shame there isn't a way for Princess to match you up with someone on the waiting list.

God Bless.

Captlou,

Is there anyway they would let you change to another date?

Good Luck and God Bless

Mary

Mary,

That's what I was asking them to do. I was not asking for a refund. Lord knows, we're going to need some time to decompress after this devatstating event. All they did was quote policy chapter-and-verse from their one-sided policy manual.

I woke up this morning to an outpouring of good wishes from a wonderful group of total strangers. Thank you. It gives me a renewed faith in our collective futures. If only corporate America had a heart, we might be able to accomplish great things.

I'm going to try contacting someone at corporate today, and will let the folks here know what transpires.

Zgirl - we've decided to not sell the tickets, and not cancel the trip. If I get nowhere with the money grubbers we'll make a decision as far as what we will do. Sandy's family is trying to convince us to go on the cruise and get away from everything. Since the cruiseline isn't giving us a viable alternative, we don't have to make a decision until the night of the 3rd.

I fully expect to find myself getting the run-around at corporate, and face some secretaries who have been well trained in screening out any calls. If that's the case, my next calls will be to NBC, ABC, CBS, Don Imus, and Howard Stern to see if any of them are interested in a human interest story.

Again, thank you for your compassion. If you have any children, or know any children, please give them a hug for us. Cherish them (even if they can be obstinate little pains in the butt), because you have no idea what it's like to have them taken from you.

Lou - I am so sorry about what happened to your family. No one should go through this.

I think it probably is not worth your time right now contacting different news agencies about a "human interest story". You have other priorities right now. As far as the cruise line is concerned - they are following through with the Cruise Contract that was agreed upon (either directly or indirectly) when you agreed to cruise. I can't fault them for that - they are doing exactly what they said they would be doing if you wanted to cancel. It is too bad that insurance wasn't purchased but this is why I buy insurance every single time.

Prayers to you and your family at this time. Maybe going on a cruise and a change of environment may be a good option. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

One of my clients had a death in the family and had to cancel her Princess cruise. She didn't have insurance either. Princess accommodated me by allowing me to transfer her booking to a later date, without penalties. It took a lot of time on the phone and a couple of "I'm not booking anymore Princess cruises for my clients" threats, but in the end, they did it for me. My client ended up cruising a year later instead.

Captlou - I am so very sorry for your loss. You and your family have our deepest sympathies. I hope it all works out for you. I agree with another poster in that if you can't cancel or rebook for a later date, maybe a change of environment will be a good thing.

Sorry seems so inadequate. But my DH and I prayers are with you while your family goes through this tragic time.

That said, Please do not think that this is just an issue with Princess. I have had dealings with other the other cruise lines concerning clients without insurance who have had a tragedy in their families. They are not real sympathetic. They wish that everyone would buy insurance. But when enough pressure is brought to bear they almost always would let us change to another date.

They say time heals all wounds. I have never believed that. Loss of a child is the worst.

We are going to be on the 2/4 cruise if you make the ship we are in L306.

Coral - Thank you for your prayers.

I didn't ask Princess to cancel, and give us a refund. I simply asked to move to another sailing, and have them sell our cabin to someone on the waiting list. Trust me, I've read the contract top to bottom, and am aware of their policies.

Yes, I'm venting right now, and have more important things to tend to before I worry about contacting the media. Sorry if I've used the anonymity of the internet to do that, but the explosion of emotions has been staggering. However, I will reserve the right to "make some waves" (pun intended) at a later date.

Stacy - Our family is trying to convince us to take the cruise if Princess won't help us. Who knows, we may just show up on the ship. We used cruise.com for the first time (things happen in three's, so I wonder what other mistake I made??) and, although they did call Princess, I don't think that they have the same vested interest in their customers as an independent travel agent. Our travel agent will be happy to have us come back to her. Thank you for your wishes, and your input.

Thank you Tisha and cjh. We truly appreciate everyone's efforts to make us feel that we are not alone. Our friends have been wonderful, and I will add all of you when we give thanks for that blessing.

Coral - Thank you for your prayers.

I didn't ask Princess to cancel, and give us a refund. I simply asked to move to another sailing, and have them sell our cabin to someone on the waiting list. Trust me, I've read the contract top to bottom, and am aware of their policies.

Yes, I'm venting right now, and have more important things to tend to before I worry about contacting the media. Sorry if I've used the anonymity of the internet to do that, but the explosion of emotions has been staggering. However, I will reserve the right to "make some waves" (pun intended) at a later date.

I definitely sorry for you and your family. I do know a lot of exceptions were made before 9-11 but I have not heard of many exceptions made ater 9-11.

You can try to see if your TA can find out if the ship is overbooked. They may need volunteers to switch to a different sailing.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have 3 children and can't imagine the pain you are going through. My sister lost her only child some time ago. Though you are hurting right now, perhaps the best thing is for you and your wife to go on the cruise and have some real, quality time together, alone and away from the daily reminder at home of the reality of what just happened. You might also find comfort in the company of others who don't know the situation, to take your mind away from your tragedy if only for a moment. My sister and her ex-husband left a week after the funeral of their daughter, and while no one understood how they could be 'partying' at that time, she has since told me many times how that time alone helped them cope. My prayers are with you.

Lots of folks like me check eBay daily for good travel deals - and I see lots of cruises there. I'm not sure what the rules are (I buy a lot on eBay but have never sold anything) but as a last resort it may be worth checking into.

Please accept my sympathies - it seems so inadequate at times like this....

Here is a web site that lists all the officers. It is stock related, but at least gives you the names and titles.

God Bless you and your family. Maybe others are correct - the cruise might just be the thing you and your wife need right now.

http://www.investor.reuters.com/Officers.aspx?ticker=CCL&target=executiveofficers%2flist

Hello everyone.

Many friends and family members have told us that we should take the cruise, and get away from all of the tension here at home. Today, the owner of our company agreed that, in his opinion, it could be the best thing for us after this horror story.

I called the office of the president of Princess yesterday, and his executive secretary (Donna) was working with me to try to make the change to another sailing. I called her this afternoon, thanked her, and said that we would stay with the sailing on the 4th. Donna was very understanding, and wanted to help if she could. Unfortunately, the front line people haven't been trained to handle this type of situation, and end up acting like automotons. As another poster said, they need to get their customer service up to speed if they expect to keep filling all of the new ships that they're building.

So...... we'll be on the ship. We're more ready for some R&R than we were a week ago; and we were already crispy fried and anxious to get away. We are going to do our best to celebrate his life instead of mourn his death. We'll have plenty of time to do that when we get home.

Thank you all for everything. You have no idea how your posts have helped.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathy. I pray they will find criminal (s) responsible.

I have to agree that the trip might do you some good. Besides that I'm sure your son would rather see you happy sailing on the ocean than curled up with a box of tissues.

Archived