Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cliftoncruiser

Semi-Live Review: Grandeur of the Seas 13 - 22 June 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, brillohead said:


Why?  Didn't they have Security scanning SeaPasses for entry?  

The only place I've seen an under-21er need proof of age was the casino, because they don't have the security scanner there that shows age, just the POS to charge the room folio.

The only place on the ship she was asked for an I’d from her was at the Viking Lounge during late nights (I think after 10pm).  The elevators that lead to the Viking lounge stop at the 10th floor late evenings  (versus the 11th) and you walk up the last flight.  At the top of the stairs a security officer cards - no scanner.  Although they never asked me or even batted an eye .... hmmmmm (lol). 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cliftoncruiser said:

The only place on the ship she was asked for an I’d from her was at the Viking Lounge during late nights (I think after 10pm).  The elevators that lead to the Viking lounge stop at the 10th floor late evenings  (versus the 11th) and you walk up the last flight.  At the top of the stairs a security officer cards - no scanner.  Although they never asked me or even batted an eye .... hmmmmm (lol). 😊

 

I haven't been on Grandeur... I've never been on a ship where they didn't have the little Security scanner at the entrance to the nightclub area.  Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cliftoncruiser said:

I missed the 50th birthday cake too.  😒. My DD did not get anything immediately after the sushi making class but a few days later a certificate  

was left in our cabin along with step by step instructions so she can replicate at home.

 

We got certificates while we were eating.  No instructions.  Oh, and our names were written backwards...last name first name. LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zooma said:

Thanks so much for your review, @cliftoncruiser -- glad you had a terrific cruise! Maybe I missed this, but do you mind saying what kind of suite you were in? And how was it space-wise for the 4 of you?

We were in the Owner’s Suite (8502).  Space-wise, we were comfortable.  The bathroom is the biggest bonus as you can actually move around and fit multiple people in there.  It has a separate shower and double sink.  The bed is separate from the sofa area and there are curtains to section off the sofa (sleep bed) from the king size bed.  It almost creates a hallway of sorts so both areas can access the restroom without disturbing the other area with lights (no guarantee for noise though).  The cabin steward offered to bring in a roll away bed on the first day but we declined.  My girls shared the sleep sofa comfortably and even with it opened we had room with the table and chair area.  I loved the cabin and would not hesitate to reserve the same cabin again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CruisinCons said:

 

We got certificates while we were eating.  No instructions.  Oh, and our names were written backwards...last name first name. LOL 

I didn’t notice how the name was written.  I am glad they gave instructions as my DD loves sushi and I can actually see her making it at home in the future.  She really enjoyed the class and said she would take the class again.  I wish I had gone with her (my initial intent) but her class ended up being at the same time as the Captains Reception so I went with my hubby instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cincicruisers said:

Great review!  Thanks for sharing.  Do you have any photos of your suite?

Yes, I have tons of pictures.  Let me gather a few with different cabin views and I will post them.  It will most like be tomorrow as my iPad is at 2%.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cliftoncruiser said:

Yes, I have tons of pictures.  Let me gather a few with different cabin views and I will post them.  It will most like be tomorrow as my iPad is at 2%.  

Great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cliftoncruiser said:

I didn’t notice how the name was written.  I am glad they gave instructions as my DD loves sushi and I can actually see her making it at home in the future.  She really enjoyed the class and said she would take the class again.  I wish I had gone with her (my initial intent) but her class ended up being at the same time as the Captains Reception so I went with my hubby instead.  

 

My hubby has done this on four ships now.  Each class was slightly different.  He's pretty sure that he can do it without instructions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the detailed review. It looks like you enjoyed the ship and the itinerary. 

 

I am curious about how you learned of the embarkation day suite lunch. Were you told on board, did you received an email in advance? Do you know if the lunch is offered  to pinnacles members, as many suite benefits are also provided to pinnacle cruisers. 

 

Thanks

 

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jarmo said:

Scanner was up there a couple weeks ago.

Maybe I missed it.  I just know my DD ran back to the room to get her license because she couldn’t use the sea pass at the Viking Lounge during late night hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks for the detailed review. It looks like you enjoyed the ship and the itinerary. 

 

I am curious about how you learned of the embarkation day suite lunch. Were you told on board, did you received an email in advance? Do you know if the lunch is offered  to pinnacles members, as many suite benefits are also provided to pinnacle cruisers. 

 

Thanks

 

m

I received an e-mail a few days before the cruise from the Carlington, the concierge, that listed perks.  One was the embankment day lunch.  When I first walked into the MDR for lunch, staff told me it was closed for a private function but when I showed my sea pass card I was seated.  Carlington was in the MDR greeting individual tables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

Great review!  Thanks for sharing.  Do you have any photos of your suite?

As requested, here are some suite pictures of the owners suite from my stay (cabin 8502)...

FE86341B-6CF0-44B1-A06C-A093AE73F731.jpeg

E48191D6-F2AF-4ED8-A5EF-30A68E227E24.jpeg

42117CDF-0A02-4A9C-A12F-8E41A00853D7.jpeg

4B04AF14-3D25-45CE-8BA5-4D343E901196.jpeg

293C5A36-857D-4C56-B14D-878B7C407152.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cliftoncruiser said:

I received an e-mail a few days before the cruise from the Carlington, the concierge, that listed perks.  One was the embankment day lunch.  When I first walked into the MDR for lunch, staff told me it was closed for a private function but when I showed my sea pass card I was seated.  Carlington was in the MDR greeting individual tables.

Thanks for the info

 

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cliftoncruiser said:

Maybe I missed it.  I just know my DD ran back to the room to get her license because she couldn’t use the sea pass at the Viking Lounge during late night hours.

It was a portable set up, left side of the entrance.  May not have been there on your sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cliftoncruiser you mentioned the GoFundy tour company. Most of the companies I've looked into are based on a minimum of 4 people. Any idea how I can find excursions for just two people instead of using RCCL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lpmom said:

@cliftoncruiser you mentioned the GoFundy tour company. Most of the companies I've looked into are based on a minimum of 4 people. Any idea how I can find excursions for just two people instead of using RCCL

GoFundy charges a flat rate, not per person.  The maximum is six people but they will take less since he is not loosing money.  The nice part is that you can stay longer in areas you like and less time in other areas.  I do not know of any other suggestions but would highly recommend GoFundy.  If you want to lower the cost, you may look on the roll call and see if anyone wants to join the two of you.  As a side note, my DH sent the tour guide Alexei an email asking where he got the maple hard candies he gave us to take home and received a quick response even after the fact.   My husband really liked the candy (lol).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a pain but did you happen to keep the cruise compasses?  I know, I know; it's one of the top ten most annoying requests but we're sailing this itinerary this fall and there are no Grandeur compasses.  It seem like Allure does this run (or did) but Allure has different features. Would love to have more current info.

 

Regardless, your review was great and we've already made some adjustments to our schedule based on your report so thank you for the time and your attention to detail!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Somesail_wecruise said:

I know it's a pain but did you happen to keep the cruise compasses?  I know, I know; it's one of the top ten most annoying requests but we're sailing this itinerary this fall and there are no Grandeur compasses.  It seem like Allure does this run (or did) but Allure has different features. Would love to have more current info.

 

Regardless, your review was great and we've already made some adjustments to our schedule based on your report so thank you for the time and your attention to detail!

 

 

I am so glad my review was helpful.  You will have to let me know what you think of the cruise/itinerary after your cruise.  I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as I did,  😃Looking through my papers, I see all of the compasses except Day 8.  Day 8 was a sea day and the 2nd formal.  I will keep looking to see if I can find Day 8.  I will have to scan the itineraries in and try to figure out how to upload a pdf (versus picture).  I will upload them in pieces (by day) as I get the time.  Day 1 is attached.  If this works, I figured it out,

2019-07-18_194902.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cliftoncruiser said:

I will upload them in pieces (by day) as I get the time.  Day 1 is attached.  If this works, I figured it out,

2019-07-18_194902.pdf 3.23 MB · 1 download

You did it! It's perfect!  Bless your heart.  Thank you.  

And I do plan to write a review with a focus on accessibility options (because one of our party is in a scooter and I think this place could use a bit more info on how the disabled cruise/get around.)  Thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...