Buying Wine in New York

molme

Is there any place that we can buy wine prior to getting on the ship in NY.  We will be flying in the day of cruise and have Princess transfer from airport to cruise terminal.  Would like to be able to get a couple of bottles of wine to take on board with us.  Any suggestions?

57 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

If you google " wine near Manhattan Cruise Terminal" you will get a map of nearby wine shops.  There are 2 on 10th Avenue, under a 10 minute walk from the terminal.

I believe Princess leaves from Brooklyn. 

True. I have only sailed from Manhattan so I default to that.  But if you do that Google thing for Brooklyn or anywhere else you will find your answer 

Edited by Nitemare
Typo

There's a nice little spirits/wine shop on Van Brunt, about a 10 minute walk from the Brooklyn Terminal. (Not sure if we're allowed to provide names, but when a ship's hull needs work it's put into dry dock). There's also a large (very nice) market at the foot of Van Brunt. If I'm not mistaken, it also carries wine. We stop there to buy a few bon voyage snacks before boarding.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

There's a nice little spirits/wine shop on Van Brunt, about a 10 minute walk from the Brooklyn Terminal. (Not sure if we're allowed to provide names, but when a ship's hull needs work it's put into dry dock). There's also a large (very nice) market at the foot of Van Brunt. If I'm not mistaken, it also carries wine. We stop there to buy a few bon voyage snacks before boarding.

You’re allowed to give names and addresses especially. Just no travel agency names. 

9 hours ago, George C said:

We always pack wine in suitcases before we fly been doing that for decades can get s better price for wine at home 

We do that to bring different wine and spirits back home with us. And never had a problem. 

The shops I referenced are Dry Dock Wine & Spirits, 424 Van Brunt Street, and Fairway Market, 500 Van Brunt St. Dry Dock is a nicely curated small shop, quite close to the Brooklyn terminal. Fairway is an upscale grocer that (as I recall) has a wine department. It also has a takeout food department and nice tables overlooking the water and the Statue of Liberty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

does NOT sell real wine 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, Langoustine said:

I can pretty much guarantee you that Fairway does NOT sell real win

Fairway's wine is, indeed, "wine product".

A relatively new wine shop has opened on Van Brunt, however. It's a block or two closer to the terminal than Dry Dock: 

Wet Whistle Wine and Spirits. 

We happened to meet two of the sommeliers from the Queen Mary while there. 

If you're primarily looking for liquor, I think Dry Dock might be the better option. The spirit selection at Wet Whistle is quite narrow (albeit nicely chosen).