Rhapsody (out of Venice) Questions

We've sailed only the larger/newer ships and now are hoping to venture out on Rhapsody for an itinerary out of Venice. I have read just about all I could find about this type of sailing but still have a few questions. Would appreciate any guidance! 

Trying to decide between Grand Suite 2 BR and 2 Junior Suites (aft). We have never had an aft balcony so it would be a first, though this would not be one of the coveted corners (but the huge balconies in regular aft cabins seem nice!). Any thoughts on extra movement/vibration in those? (We've always been midship -- though the Adriatic seems generally pretty calm, right?) 

We also have never been in a real suite (just juniors). The GS-2BRs are midship, and we would not get one on Deck 8 (because of potential pool noise overhead). I've read the second bedroom is tiny in these suites. Not a huge deal because of the living room area, but does anyone know about that second bathroom? Is the shower the same as in the regular cabins? 

Regarding suite perks, because this is port-intensive, I'd think priority tenders would be helpful but not sure. We know nothing about suite lounges (concierge lounges?) and timings of happy hours, so would love any info re those. (All I've heard is that they get crowded.) Are there hors d'oeuvres offered during those hours?

Separately (but kinda related), with such a port-intensive sailing, does later dining seem the way to go? (If so, those snacks would come in handy.) We've typically ended up with My Time Dining in the end -- and likely will be eating at a few specialty restaurants -- but since we have options right now, just want to know what to go ahead and reserve.

Finally ... silly question, but is there something like Sorrento's on board? Those late-night piping-hot pizza slices were nice to have on our recent Anthem trip! TIA

Edited by zooma

14 minutes ago, zooma said:

We also have never been in a real suite (just juniors). The GS-2BRs are midship, and we would not get one on Deck 8 (because of potential pool noise overhead). I've read the second bedroom is tiny in these suites. Not a huge deal because of the living room area, but does anyone know about that second bathroom? Is the shower the same as in the regular cabins? 

Everything aft of the Centrum elevators is under Solarium (which has a lot less late night char shuffling) or under the spa. Under the spa is very quiet, and there's a secret staircase from Deck 8 up to the entryway of the spa which means skipping a long walk down the corridor.

Regarding suite perks, because this is port-intensive, I'd think priority tenders would be helpful but not sure. We know nothing about suite lounges (concierge lounges?) and timings of happy hours, so would love any info re those. (All I've heard is that they get crowded.) Are there hors d'oeuvres offered during those hours?

No Concierge lounge; just the Diamond lounge and it's a pretty small one. There are snacks, though.

Separately (but kinda related), with such a port-intensive sailing, does later dining seem the way to go? (If so, those snacks would come in handy.) We've typically ended up with My Time Dining in the end -- and likely will be eating at a few specialty restaurants -- but since we have options right now, just want to know what to go ahead and reserve.

Finally ... silly question, but is there something like Sorrento's on board? Those late-night pipping-hot pizza slices were nice to have on our recent Anthem trip! TIA

Not a dedicated pizza place, but Park Cafe in the Solarium fills in the snack-times when the Windjammer's not serving, and there's pizza most late nights. 

10 minutes ago, zooma said:

Thanks so much, @hellsop. So suites get no special lounge/happy hour access? (We're not Diamond.)

Concierge Lounge on Rhapsody is located at one side of the Viking Crown.

I just looked at your signature... keep in mind that the JS's on Rhapsody are probably around the same size as a regular balcony on the bigger ships.

Edited by Hoopster95

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

keep in mind that the JS's on Rhapsody are probably around the same size as a regular balcony on the bigger ships.

Yes, I see no walk-in closets here. The itinerary is so nice, so I think we'll survive 🙂

7 minutes ago, zooma said:

Most likely, Croatia/Greece next summer.

You should put major consideration on the specific itineraries that do Dubrovnik, Kotor and Santorini all in one cruise (ie. June 6). Rhapsody only has a few weeks that do this exact sailing... those are 3 of the top 5-6 ports in the Med/Greece you will ever sail in and out of 😊. If you have to see Athens & Mykonos, well you'll have to book a b2b... this would be incredible for you if you could swing this. Have fun planning.

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

You should put major consideration on the specific itineraries that do Dubrovnik, Kotor and Santorini all in one cruise (ie. June 6). Rhapsody only has a few weeks that do this exact sailing... those are 3 of the top 5-6 ports in the Med/Greece you will ever sail in and out of 😊. If you have to see Athens & Mykonos, well you'll have to book a b2b... this would be incredible for you if you could swing this. Have fun planning.

Thanks so much for your guidance. I have read several of your prior posts and really appreciate the info. The sailing we are looking into does indeed include those three ports (wish Mykonos and Split were included; have already been to Athens). So, I know you are really into those corner afts. What thoughts do you have on the regular afts?

Edited by zooma

22 minutes ago, zooma said:

Thanks so much for your guidance. I have read several of your prior posts and really appreciate the info. The sailing we are looking into does indeed include those three ports (wish Mykonos and Split were included; have already been to Athens). So, I know you are really into those corner afts. What thoughts do you have on the regular afts?

Ah... Vision & Jewel visit Split on their 12 nighters out of Barcelona (as well as overnight in Venice), however the only ship that visits Dubrovnik is Rhapsody unfortunately. Any consideration to go on Celebrity? Way better Greek Isles itineraries vs. RCL. unless you b2b on Rhapsody (ie. Constellation out of Venice).

Regular aft pretty awesome as well for views imho, only difference is they don't wrap around.

10 minutes ago, zooma said:

One additional question for now: where is the smoking deck on Rhapsody? And port or starboard side? Want to make sure our balcony does not overhang. Thanks

I personally have no clue... I googled this thread, the 2nd post has your answer I believe

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2606580-rhapsody-smoking-areas/

Edited by Hoopster95

Thank you so much, @Hoopster95. We did look into the longer Med RC cruises, as well as Celebrity's, but this one worked best.

And on the smoking -- the info out there seems contradictory, which is why I am asking. Port side or Starboard side? Would hate to be right near that.

2 minutes ago, zooma said:

And on the smoking -- the info out there seems contradictory, which is why I am asking. Port side or Starboard side? Would hate to be right near that.

From that link:

"outdoor designated smoking areas on open decks 5 and 9 on the starboard side"

Also found another thread with this quote

"Starboard side, deck 9 by the pool - smoke drifts down to deck 8 balconies"

Hope this info is still correct.

13 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

From that link:

"outdoor designated smoking areas on open decks 5 and 9 on the starboard side"

Also found another thread with this quote

"Starboard side, deck 9 by the pool - smoke drifts down to deck 8 balconies"

Hope this info is still correct.

Right -- but then someone later in that same link says this: "We were on the rhapsody last week and the smoking areas are actually on the port side decks 5 and 9." 

And, lol, just got off phone with RC guy who told me smoking area was on port side aft Deck 11. Who knows!

1 hour ago, zooma said:

Who knows!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2553905-rc-cruise-compass-for-rhapsody-of-the-seas-7-night-greece-and-croatia-cruise/?tab=comments#comment-55250658

Here are the 2108 Cruise Compasses for your itinerary ...

Download any one of the 7 days, scroll to page three/bottom left under "Notices"

Smoking is starboard side.

Now go book that port side balcony!! 😀

5 hours ago, zooma said:

Finally ... silly question, but is there something like Sorrento's on board? Those late-night piping-hot pizza slices were nice to have on our recent Anthem trip! TIA

The queues for tenders move very quickly, even when initially they seem very long, or book a ships tour for priority if you don't have a Suite.

Late fixed dinning is 2030.

Pizza I believe can be got late evening in the cafe in solarium.

Didnt go in Suite lounge but diamond lounge had very nice snacks and continental breakfast, so presume suite lounge would be as good if not better.

Enjoy, it's a fantastic cruise, lovely ship and great ports 

• Thanks 1

Hi i have been looking at a cruise out of venice that stops at split and dubrovnik , i found the rhapsody cruise first week in sep 2020 but looking at the dubrovnik stop i think it was only from 12,30 - 18,30 and if we have to be back an hour before i'm not sure its going to give us much time see much , also is there anywhere where i can check if the stops are docked and walk off or tender .

We were on Seranade in norway in may and we were on the floating dock so had no problems but there a a ncl ship in and the waiting line to get back on ship by tender went all round the small village !!

6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2553905-rc-cruise-compass-for-rhapsody-of-the-seas-7-night-greece-and-croatia-cruise/?tab=comments#comment-55250658

Here are the 2108 Cruise Compasses for your itinerary ...

Download any one of the 7 days, scroll to page three/bottom left under "Notices"

Smoking is starboard side.

Now go book that port side balcony!! 😀

Wow -- thanks for these Cruise Compasses!

And ... done! (Now to make sure everyone can get the time off....)

6 hours ago, Saman said:

but looking at the dubrovnik stop i think it was only from 12,30 - 18,30 and if we have to be back an hour before i'm not sure its going to give us much time see much , also is there anywhere where i can check if the stops are docked and walk off or tender .

Ugh... that's not the greatest amount of time for Dubvronik... you really need a full day to really appreciate it. You'll still get a great day in Old Town I feel for those 5-6 hours that you're there.

All aboard is 1/2 hour prior to departure. Dubrovnik is docked, with a 10min shuttle (not free) to the Old Town Pile Gate ... or inexpensive taxi, or 30-40min walk. There's nothing by the port whatsoever to do and see.

If you're interested, here's a photo review and description of the port, how to get to Old Town, and what to see over the day.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2028118-serenade-sept-17-282014-review-wlots-of-photos/page/10/

Wow, amazing photos and review of your Dubrovnik visit, @Hoopster95. I will now have to go back and flip through the rest of the review just for fun.

Our stop there will just be 11am to 7pm. Not long enough, I know, but hopefully this cruise will just be a preview for a separate trip to see more of Croatia, eg, Split and Hvar, in the future.

Meanwhile, is there anyone out there who has stayed in the 2 BR Grand Suite on Rhapsody??  Trying to make sure that second bedroom/bath is not meant just for little kids.... I have a couple of tall young adults who need to fit comfortably 🙂

• Haha 1

I am doing the July 4-11 2020 Croatia/Greece itinerary with Dubrovnik, Kotor, Katakolon and Santorini so thanks for the information!  I have the aft corner balcony 7652 so I am super excited but it is so far off still! we are a family of 3 (21 yo son)

so I assume the balcony will be great ..

3 hours ago, Lestoil said:

I am doing the July 4-11 2020 Croatia/Greece itinerary with Dubrovnik, Kotor, Katakolon and Santorini so thanks for the information!  I have the aft corner balcony 7652 so I am super excited but it is so far off still! we are a family of 3 (21 yo son)

Wish we could've gotten that corner! We will (hopefully) be on a few weeks before you on same itinerary so will try to post pertinent info. Will also have a 21 yo along, as well as a 23!

• Like 1

I watched to the first day they opened the date up to booking ! Please send any pertinent info! I’m sure I will need it as it’s my first cruise across the pond!! Thanks!

Have fun too! What week is yours?

On 6/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, Lestoil said:

My partner and I will be on the same cruise! Hello *waves* We are in a lowly ocean view room, but are still incredibly excited.

• Like 1